McCarty 594 tuners - Should I swap?

Do I keep stock or swap to locking tuners?

• Keep stock - vintage style non locking

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Fit PRS vintage style locking tuners

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

Milsco

I have a 594 that I keep changing my mind on whether to keep the stock non locking tuners or to buy the PRS vintage style locking set.

Thought I’d see if I can get the mood of the room.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t have any issues with the non locking set that comes as stock. But I do love the fast string changes on my CU24 which is what has me thinking…

My SC594 came with the no locking tuners. They lasted about two weeks before I swapped them. The locking version are perfect for me and I have no regrets almost 2 yrs later. The original work very well and I had no issues with them other than they were non locking.

My vote is yes, for the convenience it's a no brainer.. but personally I'd get the open gear phase III. Either way is a win. I'm hoping PRS goes back to lockers on the next revision.
If I had spec’d this guitar as a PS I’d definitely have chosen phase III. Love the open gear look.

I know they fit the same footprint as the vintage style but I know I’d be irritated by the visible outline pressed in to the finish.

@5Springer

33-F13251-808-D-4265-A216-DBCFFD9855-D1.jpg

Lock me up and throw away the key!

When I got my 594, I was able to snag a 2019 model that had the TCI pickup and nitro finish updates, but at that time PRS let the dealers decide if they wanted to stick with the locking tuners (as were spec when orders weee placed) or update to vintage style. Fortunately this dealer stuck with the locking Phase III’s.

No regrets here either, I say go for the Phase III’s!

Back