Broseph

PRS Fren
I’m a huge fan of modding lower levels PRS guitars. Make them yours. Let me see your modifications to the PRS S2 594 guitars. I’ll start with my latest and greatest. I was tempted to put in 58/15 LT pickups but held off since that’s what my McCarty core (non 594) comes with stock

Core vintage Locking Tuners, bone nut, custom Truss Rod Cover, switchcraft toggle, Bare Knuckle pickups Mule Neck and Riff Raff Bridge, 594 USA drop in electronics, hybrid hardware, and Schaller strap locks.

And damn proud to say I did it all myself. Did my own setup afterwards. Perfect action! Love love love this model. Playability is crazy good.

Let me see your creations. Or feel free to drop in questions about potential mods here! GO!

Last edited:
I just picked up a used 2020 S2 594 in McCarty burst. The first thing I've had to do is "mod" it with a pickup selector switch that works.

What's the general consensus on the stock neck pickup?

Last edited:
Here’s my SE245

From top to bottom -

SE locking tuners
Signature Club TRC kindly donated by Peter @veinbuster
Core nut
PAF custom wound pickups by @Fullmoon 1971
Paper in oil caps supplied by John
Amber lampshades
Raw unfinished brass bridge posts
Marvel strap locks

The pickups wound by John really bring this beauty alive. It’s a pretty resonant guitar acoustically.

What makes it even more special is that I was gifted it by some really kind people here.

Just had an S2 594 DC follow me home today. Likely going to put a new set of pickups in, perhaps a new PRS drop in wiring kit.

I just picked up a used 2020 S2 594 in McCarty burst. The first thing I've had to do is "mod" it with a pickup selector switch that works.

What's the general consensus on the stock neck pickup?

That's the thing I'm working through right now, too. So far it seems to have less articulation than the LT in my core 594.

I would say the clarity of the stock pickups are not as great as core 58/15 LT. That has been my experience in the single cut and double cut.

In the Thinline I would suggest leaving the stock pickups as they give you that midrange honk that only an all hog machine can. And when I did put the LT in the Thinline I didn’t notice enough difference to warrant the price upgrade.

I keep getting tempted by the S2 594 Singlecut. I have no doubt it would be worthy of my personal tone tweaks and it would be more comfortable than the Core version. And still cheaper after mods, too. The S2 line is great.

This used to be a beat up Grandma Hannon Pink model. I received it with SD '59s. Still has those pickups, but I did the refin (I love the color, but I'm not proud of my finish work this time) and replaced the electronics with a new harness. This is the best rock guitar I've ever played.

1665876252486.jpeg

1665890098554.jpeg

1665876335293.jpeg

I also have a completely stock Thinline model that I don't plan to change in any way. It is perfect as is.

Last edited:
Thinline that’s essentially core level now:
Gold tuner grommets and hybrid phase 3 tuners. Core pots, switchcraft 3 way selector with gold ring, bare knuckles peacemakers pickups, gold screws everywhere (including pickups), black output jack plate, gold Schaller strap locks, and custom truss rod cover. I rotated the pickup selector to make it more like a McCarty/strat. I did not like a north south option that low down. I know it came out same as SG style but I’m happier with it angled.
YqxKjGG.jpg

And this thing ripppppps. Sings for days. More than a core 594 or all the other s2 I’ve tried. With a nice healthy growl now thanks to the pickup swap. I let it go once before. I won’t make that mistake again.
0qzpYt6.jpg

l6IwaiR.jpg

Thinline that’s essentially core level now:
Gold tuner grommets and hybrid phase 3 tuners. Core pots, switchcraft 3 way selector with gold ring, bare knuckles peacemakers pickups, gold screws everywhere (including pickups), black output jack plate, gold Schaller strap locks, and custom truss rod cover. I rotated the pickup selector to make it more like a McCarty/strat. I did not like a north south option that low down. I know it came out same as SG style but I’m happier with it angled.
YqxKjGG.jpg

And this thing ripppppps. Sings for days. More than a core 594 or all the other s2 I’ve tried. With a nice healthy growl now thanks to the pickup swap. I let it go once before. I won’t make that mistake again.
0qzpYt6.jpg

l6IwaiR.jpg
Did you order the Core pots from PRS?

they are PRS branded. I can’t recall if I ordered directly from them or a dealer. I could have also used other brand pots. I don’t necessarily love the slop of PRS volume knobs compared to the tone knobs.

I installed PRS locking tuners on mine. I got a set of Duncan Saturday Night Specials for it but I haven't installed them yet. I have a set of them in a 2001 Santana SE and I think they'll be just the thing for the 594.

Back