Which locking tuners for my SE Standard and nut

ImAllThumbs

I’d like to replace the stock tuners on my SE Standard. I love the guitar but I’m not so crazy about the tuners or the nut. Reason being is the tuning instability. I prefer to go with drop in tuners. I realize the PRS SE locking tuners are available but it looks like the tuning ratio is 15/1. Maybe that’s fine but there are other options such as Grover 406C, I believe that’s the model, that offer 18/1 ratio. Any thoughts or experience with either of these options or something else would be appreciated.

I’m also thinking about going with a Graphtech Tusq nut. I’ve lubed the stock nut a couple of times but it still has tuning issues. I realize some my say focus on the nut, the tuners are fine, but I like the quickness and ease of string changes with locking tuners.

Any help would be appreciated. I’ve already done some searching on the site but finding what I’m looking for has been somewhat random. Thanks.

Thank you, I don’t think I’ll go that route, the stock tuners aren’t very precise, seem to have a lot of slack in them. But I appreciate your suggestion.

I put these on my SE245 standard -

And a PRS core nut.

This is the SE version, but I believe it’s made from the same proprietary material.

Both work very well.

Last edited:
Back