Which "Graph Tech TUSQ nut" for my PRS SE Paul's Guitar?

NewPlayer1959

I am having a bit of an issue keeping my SE Paul's Guitar in tune (particularly the E string). I have had locking tuners installed and I thought I might as well replace the factory nut on my SE Paul's Guitar with an arguably superior nut (ie, Graph Tech TUSQ nut) in hopes of maintaining a better degree of tuning stability. I have read through many forums and believe I saw a suggestion of the "Graph Tech TUSQ XL PT-6643-00" as a replacement for the "Factory nut" that comes with the SE Paul's Guitar, however I want to be certain.

Any information/suggestions that might be offered will certainly be appreciated. Thanks and a Good Evening to all.

I am having a bit of an issue keeping my SE Paul's Guitar in tune (particularly the E string). I have had locking tuners installed and I thought I might as well replace the factory nut on my SE Paul's Guitar with an arguably superior nut (ie, Graph Tech TUSQ nut) in hopes of maintaining a better degree of tuning stability. I have read through many forums and believe I saw a suggestion of the "Graph Tech TUSQ XL PT-6643-00" as a replacement for the "Factory nut" that comes with the SE Paul's Guitar, however I want to be certain.

Any information/suggestions that might be offered will certainly be appreciated. Thanks and a Good Evening to all.
I'm having similar problem with my Guild. I had locking tuners installed buy didn't help so I bought a Tusq nut, a roller saddle bridge and different locking tuners (this time by Kluson). So that's at the shop - I don't have time to deal with the Guild anymore. It's been a pain ever since I bought it brand new. In fact, it's been my most trouble causing guitar by miles.

Hopefully we can both get our guitars to stay in tune! I know a new nut makes a big difference. Sometimes the bridge too

What is the difference between the core and SE nut? My new (to me) SE Custom 24 seems kind of “dead” … the strings, especially the low ones, don’t ring out and resonate the way my other guitar does. Going to try easy obvious things first, but wondering if a bad nut is to blame.

What is the difference between the core and SE nut? My new (to me) SE Custom 24 seems kind of “dead” … the strings, especially the low ones, don’t ring out and resonate the way my other guitar does. Going to try easy obvious things first, but wondering if a bad nut is to blame.
I don't know about the difference between core and SE nut other than strings are more likely to bind in the SE nut slots compared to the core nut.

Dead strings could be a symptom of a badly cut nut shelf or nut slots. The core nut is highly unlikely to cause tuning issues though.

Depends on the year. They transitioned to a new nut on the se not long back. Old se nut is very differnet. It's now similar to the core but not the same exact one. There's a couple posts about similarities and/or differences floating out there. If you look closely at the product pics you can see some too. That said they are more similar than anything now. The most prevalent difference seems to be how well they are cut.

Last edited:
The Core nut is some miracle material infused with brass. The old SE nut is plastic

I have a 2024 DGT SE. The guitar plays and sounds great. I play the hell out of it and it stays in tune. Should I change the nut to the core one or just leave it alone. I'm always looking for improvements.

Go with the Core nut.

I installed new pickups in both my SE and if that expertise extended to replacing the nuts they'd have Core nuts (already purchased). @bodia's comment about them being part brass is correct. When dropped they ring, not exactly like metal but more like a ceramic/metal combo.

Go with the Core nut.

I installed new pickups in both my SE and if that expertise extended to replacing the nuts they'd have Core nuts (already purchased). @bodia's comment about them being part brass is correct. When dropped they ring, not exactly like metal but more like a ceramic/metal combo.

Are you saying your nuts ring if you jiggle the bag up and down?

Back