Putting locking tuners on the Bernie Marsdens today...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Yesterday, I received the MannMade locking tuners for my two Bernies still with the stock tuners. #3 already has them and it's the best sounding Bernie of the three, although it's not just the locking tuners.

I used to wonder why you guys swap out functional tuners that stay in tune for locking tuners, but now I get it.

I might put a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups in one of the Bernies, as well.

Replaced the Polished Alnico 5 magnets with Roughcast Alnico 2.

I'm not expecting them to sound the same as the 57/08's but they do use the same 42 gauge copper wire and the DCR is the same too.

They sound good in my SE Singlecut "test guitar" but I don't enjoy playing that guitar as much as the Bernies.

For what I paid Wolfe for them, if they're even close I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I've been patiently waiting for your review of the Marshallheads. "They sound good" gives me the feeling you aren't really impressed.

OK...one down. Got the locking tuners installed in one. Now on to the next.

But i am surprised that the MannMade press in bushings were very loose. They would have just fallen out if I used them.

So I had to reinstall the original bushings which were tight.

No harm done. Just wish I'd known because it's scary removing the old bushings.

I've had them chip the finish or even create an ugly and easily seen wood chip.

You've probably seen old Fenders that happened to.

But that didn't happen thank goodness.

Guitar sounds great but it sounded great before.

Last edited:
I've been patiently waiting for your review of the Marshallheads. "They sound good" gives me the feeling you aren't really impressed.
Sorry buddy. The Marshallheads do sound good. But they don't blow me away.

The 57/08's are a hard act to follow.

I went back and forth between the Marshallheads and the 57/08's in two identical guitars and every time I'd start playing the 57/08's and those pinch harmonics would sail off into the stratosphere I knew they were the ones for me.

Plus they have a fatter tone that's still clear, if clear is what you want.

I like them better than the Bare Knuckle Abraxas, Duncan Antiquitys, Suhr SSH+/SSV set, and the Marshallheads.

In terms of favorites I'd give #1 to the 57/08's. #2 to the Duncan Antiquitys. #3 to the BKP Abraxas. #4 to either the Suhrs or the Marshallheads.

The 57/08's are just in a different class. Like Babe Ruth or Willie Mays.

Paul really got it right when he came up with the 57/08's.

He got all the little details right too. Even bought the old die used to make the 42 ga copper wire Gibson used to make the original pafs.

And he used steel screws (not brass) to hold the bobbins to the baseplate.

That might be important because steel screws gets magnitized and become polepieces.

Brass doesn't.

If anyone wants a set of Marshallheads PM me.

I'm glad i got a chance to try them, and do like them and could easily gig with them.

But I like other pickups more.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy. The Marshallheads do sound good. But they don't blow me away.

The 57/08's are a hard act to follow.

I went back and forth between the Marshallheads and the 57/08's in two identical guitars and every time I'd start playing the 57/08's and those pinch harmonics would sail off into the stratosphere I knew they were the ones for me.

Plus they have a fatter tone that's still clear, if clear is what you want.

I like them better than the Bare Knuckle Abraxas, Duncan Antiquitys, Suhr SSH+/SSV set, and the Marshallheads.

In terms of favorites I'd give #1 to the 57/08's. #2 to the Duncan Antiquitys. #3 to the BKP Abraxas. #4 to either the Suhrs or the Marshallheads.

The 57/08's are just in a different class. Like Babe Ruth or Willie Mays.

Paul really got it right when he came up with the 57/08's.

He got all the little details right too. Even bought the old die used to make the 42 ga copper wire Gibson used to make the original pafs.

And he used steel screws (not brass) to hold the bobbins to the baseplate.

That might be important because steel screws gets magnitized and become polepieces.

Brass doesn't.

If anyone wants a set of Marshallheads PM me.

I'm glad i got a chance to try them, and do like them and could easily gig with them.

But I like other pickups more.
Did you try the Marshallheads with alnico 5? That's the stock magnet, as you know and I think they sound much better that way than alnico 2.

Did you try the Marshallheads with alnico 5? That's the stock magnet, as you know and I think they sound much better that way than alnico 2.
Yes. Wolfe sent them to me with alnico 5 by mistake. I ordered them with alnico 2 but he sent with alnico 5.

Put them in the guitar and heard the sound of alnico 5.

Lots of bass. Scooped rather than thick mids. Slightly grainy but crisp treble.

I put in roughcast alnico 2 and immediately liked them much more.

Less bass but "spongier" so they're more touch sensitive and I can "burn rubber" like Jeff Beck. More mids...much thicker. Sweeter treble and none of that gariny stuff.

I like alnico 5 in a Strat but not so much in a humbucker.

I had a hard time getting the pinch harmonics I like when they had A5 in them. That's something i look for.

Whole different ballgame with alnico 2.

Last edited:
I've got Marshallheads in one of my guitars that starts with a "Z."

The stock pups were kind of weak, didn't push the amp enough for what I like. The Wolfetones brought it up a level, just where I like it.

I used to wonder why you guys swap out functional tuners that stay in tune for locking tuners, but now I get it.
I put locking tuners on everything. Fixed bridge Telecaster or 594 HB? Locking tuners. Fender Bass IV? Locking tuners. Floyd Rose with locking nut? Locking tuners. I'd put them on my acoustics if I could.

I just like the speed of changing strings. If a guitar doesn't have them, I view it as a pain in the butt to change, so I don't do it, and then that guitar doesn't get played.

I put locking tuners on everything. Fixed bridge Telecaster or 594 HB? Locking tuners. Fender Bass IV? Locking tuners. Floyd Rose with locking nut? Locking tuners. I'd put them on my acoustics if I could.

I just like the speed of changing strings. If a guitar doesn't have them, I view it as a pain in the butt to change, so I don't do it, and then that guitar doesn't get played.
I'm starting to. Only guitars left without locking locking tuners in my little PRS collection is my SE Soapbar and SE Silver Skys.

All three of my Bernies now have locking tuners as do my three CE22's which came with the Phase 1 tuners. What a PITA the Phase 1 tuners are to use though. I have to teach myself all over again how to use them if enough time lapses between string changes.

The tuners John Mann sold me for my Bernies are SO much easier to use.

Yesterday, I received the MannMade locking tuners for my two Bernies still with the stock tuners. #3 already has them and it's the best sounding Bernie of the three, although it's not just the locking tuners.

I might put a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups in one of the Bernies, as well.

Replaced the Polished Alnico 5 magnets with Roughcast Alnico 2.

I'm not expecting them to sound the same as the 57/08's but they do use the same 42 gauge copper wire and the DCR is the same too.

They sound good in my SE Singlecut "test guitar" but I don't enjoy playing that guitar as much as the Bernies.

For what I paid Wolfe for them, if they're even close I'll be happy.
I had my Bernie worked on by my guitar guy, and was thinking locking tuners as well. Instead, he put in a better nut and man the thing sings and stays in tune so much better than before.

What a PITA the Phase 1 tuners are to use though. I have to teach myself all over again how to use them if enough time lapses between string changes.
Are those the winged tuners with the shared D and G screw? I like the winged tuners. They look more PRS than anything else. And when you're used to them, they're super easy since they lock themselves as you turn them. You just lay the string across it and turn the tuning head and it'll catch and wind.

Back