Made some changes to my SE Silver Skys

Lewguitar

Old Know It All

Changed the gray plastic truss rod covers to rosewood a while back.

Now I've upgraded both with John Mann locking tuners and some new Chubtone pickups from Mike Grey in Austin.

Decided to go for more of the look of my Bernie Marsdens.

Went from this:
To this:
The new locking tuners from MannMade went right in without a hitch. I had one set with a greenish color that were on a Bernie Marsden when I bought it, and I used that set on my green SS. Used the ivory on my white SS.

The stock SE pickups are very good but just a little trebly for me. I like the Core Silver Sky pickups but you can’t buy those.

So I replaced the pickups in my green SS with Chubtone's most popular set, what Mike Grey calls his "63/63/El Gordo" set. Two 63 Strat pickups and a slightly overwound bridge pickup.

In my white SS I have what he calls his "El Gordo set", with the El Gordo bridge pickup and a neck and middle pickup that are wound slightly hotter than those in my green SS.

Perfect for those times you just want...more!

Each guitar now sounds different from the other, with a different sound from the neck and middle pickups.

I get a big deep clean sound like an old Strat from either, but it's like playing two old Strats from different years.

Great for Hendrix and SRV clean tones: Little Wing, Wind Cries Mary, Lenny, Riviera Paradise...

The El Gordo has become my favorite single coil bridge pickup. It's smooth and full, and I find myself using it for chords as well as leads.

I probably have about $1100 into each of these guitars.

Was it worth it? Absolutely!

Last edited:
Been working on my SE Silver Sky.

I think PRS should've put these heads on the Silver Sky right from the get-go.

Instead of these.

The new locking tuners from MannMade went right in without a hitch.

New pickups too. Chubtone 63/63/El Gordo set. Mike is winding pickups again.

Now to string her up and see how she sounds. I'm hoping to hear a little bit of the bark my real '63 Strat had.
I prefer the look of the original tuner buttons and TRC. So what, right? It's not my guitar.

But:

It's not about what I like, it's about what you, the owner, like!!!

So I commend you for your mad skillz and hope you mod your guitars to your own needs until the end of time!

I don't like all that gray plastic.

I changed the gray truss rod cover too.

It's rosewood that matches the fingerboard.
It'd be a more consistent look if the TRC matched the plastic pick guard, but I like the rosewood TRC well enough. It's also a nice look.

On the other hand, the antique-looking shape of the new tuner buttons is a bit jarring paired with the swoopy 'Jetsons Modern' Strat design. That button style seems to go better with the carved violin top., which has a more traditional, orchestral instrument look.

The cream or greenish plastic the buttons are made of is fine.

For me the best look would be to match all the plastic on the guitar with the pick guard, since it's the main design feature, and keep the trim consistent. But if I were PRS I'd have chosen metal tuning machine buttons and gone all-in on the Strat thing. Though I understand why they didn't. Or I'd use the open-gear Core tuners.

Last edited:
For me the best look would be to match all the plastic on the guitar with the pick guard, since it's the main design feature, and keep the trim consistent. But if I were PRS I'd have chosen metal tuning machine buttons and go all-in on the Strat thing. But I understand why they didn't.
To me, since they went with three tuners on a side, a more Gibson look works well.

I'm loving the new look and think it goes better with the reverse PRS peghead of the Silver Sky.

They look good, and I like that you went greenish and cream tulips. Nice coordination touch with the guitars respective finish. It would take me some getting used to with the tulips and a strat style, just like a PRS headstock, which I love, has taken me some adjustment with a strat body. Truthfully I'm already a little more used to the tulips.

Side note on SS, a little bummed this morning as I missed out on a good deal for a US SS. I made the offer last night and didn't check my inbox early enough to accept a fair counter. Oh well, there will always be more...

Back