Can anyone help with nut and locking tuner recommendations on my new SE Zach Myers

gregv

Hey all recently picked up an SE Zach Myers and just getting settled in. I've heard varying opinions on it with changing to locking tuners and changing the nut. I'm planning on using 10-46 strings as I prefer those over the stock 9's that come with it.

My local luthier said he can likely file the nut down if needed for the new string gauge but he can also make and install his own bone nut by hand for $129. Is that a worthwhile upgrade or consider something else?

He would see the guitar first and let me know which locking tuners he can use as a direct drop in but just figured would ask on the forum if anyone has had experience with any good ones that are a direct drop in without modifications.

Thanks
Greg

The nut is fine. That’s an old issue that doesn’t exist on the new ones. If its not an active problem there‘s no reason to change it.

Locking tuners are nice for string changes, but don’t do anything for tuning stability. I direct replaced with Kluson Revolutions on my ZM partially bc of string change ease, but also bc I really dislike the skinny stem and plastic key on regular style Klusons. Also, my ZM came with all black hardware and got black ones. One thing I really dislike about the Klusons tho is the thumb wheel - if I put it on my String Swing hangers, the high E can get loosened too easily, so I have to put it on a Hercules.

Also, try 10’s yourself as they may work and you spend $0 in tech work.

Klusons all the way. I love them as much as i do phase 3 tuners from PRS. If your ZM is from 2022 and onward I would say leave the nut as it is. It works fine. Unless you’re going for the ivory look and bone would be a good touch.

Thanks guys appreciate that!! It is a 2022 model and so far tuning stability has been good (though I just got it last week). Ill try changing the 10's perhaps and see how the hold up before bringing it in. If I change the tuners for ease of string changes I will check out the Klusons.

Thanks guys appreciate that!! It is a 2022 model and so far tuning stability has been good (though I just got it last week). Ill try changing the 10's perhaps and see how the hold up before bringing it in. If I change the tuners for ease of string changes I will check out the Klusons.
Right on! I love my ZM and it’s one of my most used PRSes.

The tuners on the ZM are the worst, they feel like they’re from a plastic toy guitar. It’s such a bummer considering how nice and how high quality of a guitar it is.

I believe Gotoh SD90 Locking Tuners are a direct replacement.

I’m confused. I read a lot of posts on this and there is often reference to drilling. I don’t do my own work on guitars, just want to have the best setup possible. First, everyone seems to dislike the tuners on the SE Zach Myers. But I thought I read somewhere that they were improved for 2023? Just getting a 2023 ZM 594 and since the guitar itself is so reasonably priced, thought I’d grab some locking tuners. So exactly which ones are a direct drop in with no drilling required? Saw this on the page describing phase iii:
  • PRS designed locking tuners with un-plated brass shaft. Fits most US-made models. Set of six. (Includes installation screws)
    Note to SE owners: Phase II tuners are compatible with most SE models; however, new installation holes will need to be drilled into the back of the head-stock. Previously drilled screw holes will be visible.

My standard procedure is to call MannMade, get it all sorted, and then order the tuners.

All of my PRS guitars have John's tuners on them and he'll take your old tuners and give you a credit for them towards future purchases.

I haven't had to drill any extra holes or enlarge any holes on any of my Bernie Marsdens or SE Silver Skys.

I did have to slightly enlarge the mounting screw holes on one set of MannMade tuners that I took off a Bernie marsden and then put on my SE Silver Sky because i wanted to reuse the thicker mounting screws the guitar came with.

That was my own fault for using a set of locking MannMade tuners I'd taken off a guitar that wasn't a Silver Sky.

I’m confused. I read a lot of posts on this and there is often reference to drilling. I don’t do my own work on guitars, just want to have the best setup possible. First, everyone seems to dislike the tuners on the SE Zach Myers. But I thought I read somewhere that they were improved for 2023? Just getting a 2023 ZM 594 and since the guitar itself is so reasonably priced, thought I’d grab some locking tuners. So exactly which ones are a direct drop in with no drilling required? Saw this on the page describing phase iii:
  • PRS designed locking tuners with un-plated brass shaft. Fits most US-made models. Set of six. (Includes installation screws)
    Note to SE owners: Phase II tuners are compatible with most SE models; however, new installation holes will need to be drilled into the back of the head-stock. Previously drilled screw holes will be visible.

You need vintage locking tuners. If you want to keep the black tulips John Mann is the way to go.

Back