S2 and SE “S” & TCI Pickups and Split Coil Tone

This to me is the easiest way to hear the difference. The neck pickup comes off more p90. I’m pretty sure the SE and S2 use the same pickups for the 24-08s
Thanks for this! Haven't gotten to listen carefully yet, but from the 2:42 mark (both pickups split) I'm hearing a significant degree more Strat quack on the 24-08, which I'd expect based on the 24-fret neck pickup position alone

I’ve owned both. I tried the 24-08 and did not like it. I tried the Paul’s and loved it. I wish the neck pickup on the Paul’s had more treble to it. Then again I also could have easily set up the amp to enhance it…but I’m lazy. I probably could have played more with the pickup pole pieces too.

Neither come off as strat like to me. They can do single coils but I wouldn’t confuse them with a strat or tele

I’ve owned both. I tried the 24-08 and did not like it. I tried the Paul’s and loved it. I wish the neck pickup on the Paul’s had more treble to it. Then again I also could have easily set up the amp to enhance it…but I’m lazy. I probably could have played more with the pickup pole pieces too.

Neither come off as strat like to me. They can do single coils but I wouldn’t confuse them with a strat or tele
That's interesting, what was the difference between the 24-08 and the Paul's to you?

Based off pickup positioning I'd expect the 24-08 to give a bit more treble.

That's interesting, what was the difference between the 24-08 and the Paul's to you?

Based off pickup positioning I'd expect the 24-08 to give a bit more treble.
The 24-08 had a more modern sound. I wasn’t a fan. But I believe that was when the 24-08 had 85/15s in them. The newest version (2024) says TCIs. Which would make it the same as what the Paul’s SE always had. I wish PRS posted the DCRs of their guitars. It would demystify so much. I would want to hear the 2024 models compared if they share the same pickups

The 24-08 has a more modern sound. I wasn’t a fan. But I believe that was when the 24-08 had 85/15s in them. The newest version (2024) says TCI. Which would make it the same as the Paul’s SE. I wish PRS posted the DCRs of their guitars. It would demystify so much. If that’s the case then I would want to hear the 2024 models compared.
Agreed. Although without going down a whole different rabbit hole... listing inductance would be even better.

Agreed. Although without going down a whole different rabbit hole... listing inductance would be even better.
It's on here somewhere, from memory..Pauls se TCI come in around 11ohms and se Cu2408 TCI come in around 8ohms

It's on here somewhere, from memory..Pauls se TCI come in around 11ohms and se Cu2408 TCI come in around 8ohms
That’s what I recall. I also recall them saying that the Paul’s SE TCI was overwound asymmetrically to allow higher output of the coils when tapped, thus minimizing volume drop. But now I can’t find that info anywhere? I know the full humbucking mode is suppose to approximate p90s.

That’s what I recall. I also recall them saying that the Paul’s SE TCI was overwound asymmetrically to allow higher output of the coils when tapped, thus minimizing volume drop. But now I can’t find that info anywhere? I know the full humbucking mode is suppose to approximate p90s.
These measurements are for the Core 24-08 TCI pickups, but reflects what you say here. Phillip McKnight measured these in his review:

bridge 8.19K split 5.52K (assume other coil 2.67K)
Neck 6.12K Split 4.38K (assume other coil 1.74K)
5.34 bridge inductance
4.27 neck inductance

Yeah. Reminds me of Fralin Unbucker. I would credit him for having that idea of overwinding a single side to create a strong tapped sound. PRS designed the core with a completely different shape but same philosophy. I wish I could track down the info on the SE.

Yeah. Reminds me of Fralin Unbucker. I would credit him for having that idea of overwinding a single side to create a strong tapped sound. PRS designed the core with a completely different shape but same philosophy. I wish I could track down the info on the SE.
Here's data for the TCI "S" bridge and neck, but not down to the individual coils:

Here's data for the TCI "S" bridge and neck, but not down to the individual coils:
Wow. Those measurements are very close for neck and bridge. Interesting. That would be same principle as core Paul’s.

Which is funny that now they have the core Paul’s in the 24-08. Keeping the lines similar all the way thru now. It makes sense.

Wow. Those measurements are very close for neck and bridge. Interesting. That would be same principle as core Paul’s.

Which is funny that now they have the core Paul’s in the 24-08. Keeping the lines similar all the way thru now. It makes sense.
Se Paul guitar

neck 11.0k ohms
bridge 11.0k ohms

I think a lot of it has to do with trying to get good Strat in-between tones. When you've got both pickups selected they're parallel to each other and any imbalance in inductance skews towards the stronger pickup being very dominant. FWIW I also think this is the reason for the distinctive Tele middle sound, with the big difference in power between them

The se Pauls is named TCI. That's the pickups name.

Not sure what's up with calling the 24-08 TCI too. It does in fact have much different readings than the se Pauls.
The difference is significant in a way, 24 frets, different neck carve, different bridge, therefore the tune would need to be different?

The difference is significant in a way, 24 frets, different neck carve, different bridge, therefore the tune would need to be different?
It's not differnet pickups in differnet guitars that's the confusion.. it's the genius that decided to call the pickups the same name.

OP it sounds like you haven't tried them all. If not, I'd recommend it. I went in to try them intending to buy the Paul's, then I was handed a standard S2 and was much more impressed by it. Then I was handed an S2 McCarty 594 and really liked that as well. Finally tried a 10th anniversary S2 Custom 24 and that was my favorite. And that's what I bought. I didn't want to spend 2x the price of the SE Paul's but to my ears it was worth it.

From that experience I would get any S2 over an SE. So I'd recommend trying them to make sure before you buy.

Paul’s had a more vintage voicing than the 85/15 pickups.
The MEV up till last year also called their pickups TCI. For 2024 they renamed the pickups to MEV. I emailed them about it and they said it’s just renamed but the same pickups as 2023.
It’s all in the voicing.

Back