85/15 TCI vs 85/15 MT? differences? did I buy wrong pickups?

goodbyeboy

so I stumbled upon this limited edition 85/15 pickup sets that were released in Dec; I bought them and it's on my way to put them in my S2 Custom 24-08 as an upgrade. Then I read somewhere that in order to truly make them sound like single coils you have to use the ones with MT or something like that. There are several listings on Reverb that say MT on their description.

I looked at core custom 24-08 specs and even their anniversary models but it does not mention anything like MT on their pickup information. What is this pickup? Will my TCI not sound as good as MT in split?

MT is for multitap. The 8515 split excellent. Part of the reason PRS split so well is the wiring. They use resistors to use partial of the other coil.

Upgrade and as good are words only for your ear. Mine won't matter much. Heck, in general the 8515 aren't for me, but the neck is pretty damn good, and there's guitars I've really liked bridge and neck in. Others were torture to my ears.

All in all great pickups that split fantastic. Only you can answer the rest.

MT is for multitap. The 8515 split excellent. Part of the reason PRS split so well is the wiring. They use resistors to use partial of the other coil.
They are using small-value capacitors with the more modern coil splits. The cap (220pF and 330pF) is added from hot to the ground when the pickup is tapped. The old resistor method was wired differently

They are using small-value capacitors with the more modern coil splits. The cap (220pF and 330pF) is added from hot to the ground when the pickup is tapped. The old resistor method was wired differently
I wanna say it's Gibson that does/did use the cap method. It's been a minute since I've been into Gibson. Some PRS, like the seSAS still uses resistors. Either way, good share of another way PRS gets there with creative wiring.

I wanna say it's Gibson that does/did use the cap method. It's been a minute since I've been into Gibson. Some PRS, like the seSAS still uses resistors. Either way, good share of another way PRS gets there with creative wiring.
100% caps in mine. Same with Paul's guitar and the recent Ford signature. Yet, they are still using resistors in the DGT. I wonder why they never combined both methods. I had it in my Standard at some points, and both ways combined work so well

Im glad to hear. Thank you for clarifying. So my current 85/15s are really loud and bright even in split mode. Im assuming its bc of the pot? Does 85/15 fix that somehow? Or do I have to do something else?

I'm happy to post the layout for 85/15TCI if you want. There's an issue, though. As we found out with a forumee I helped before, the 3PDT switches won't fit into a SE. Fear not, though, as there is a workaround. The same functionality with stock SE DPDT switches with a slightly altered layout

Edit: to answer your question, actually (lol). I find 85/15 a very even-sounding pickups. Centre in the middle of hot enough yet not over-compressed. I wouldn't call them overly bright, either. They are my favourite all-around pickups. I can't say if it will be your cup of tea, as I know very little about what you like ;)

I'm happy to post the layout for 85/15TCI if you want. There's an issue, though. As we found out with a forumee I helped before, the 3PDT switches won't fit into a SE. Fear not, though, as there is a workaround. The same functionality with stock SE DPDT switches with a slightly altered layout

Edit: to answer your question, actually (lol). I find 85/15 a very even-sounding pickups. Centre in the middle of hot enough yet not over-compressed. I wouldn't call them overly bright, either. They are my favourite all-around pickups. I can't say if it will be your cup of tea, as I know very little about what you like ;)
I would really appreciate it! Thank you. I guess the switch wouldn't fit into S2s since they use same pickups as SE.

Yeah I liked 85/15 a lot when I tried them on 10th anniversary model in my local shop. Def can tell it had more depths and high def comparing to 85/15s. Unfortunately I can't justify paying 3 grand for it in where I am, so doing my upgrades here and there!

I would really appreciate it! Thank you. I guess the switch wouldn't fit into S2s since they use same pickups as SE.

Yeah I liked 85/15 a lot when I tried them on 10th anniversary model in my local shop. Def can tell it had more depths and high def comparing to 85/15s. Unfortunately I can't justify paying 3 grand for it in where I am, so doing my upgrades here and there!
Yeah, of course it's S2. Just to make sure I have your gear spec - do you think you can post the picture of the electronics cavity and list the colour codes of the 85/15 pickups?

I'm on nights tomorrow, so I will be staying up late; I can as well be of use to somebody. Just confirm this, and I will do it in a couple of hours

Yeah, of course it's S2. Just to make sure I have your gear spec - do you think you can post the picture of the electronics cavity and list the colour codes of the 85/15 pickups?

I'm on nights tomorrow, so I will be staying up late; I can as well be of use to somebody. Just confirm this, and I will do it in a couple of hours
I currently have a S2 custom 24, and bc of neck profile and pickups I ordered S2 custom 24-08 and 85/15 pickups and they are currently on the way. Not sure whether a regular S2 custom 24 would have the same cavity, so I will post them as soon as I have them in my hands. Thank you again for your help!

I currently have a S2 custom 24, and bc of neck profile and pickups I ordered S2 custom 24-08 and 85/15 pickups and they are currently on the way. Not sure whether a regular S2 custom 24 would have the same cavity, so I will post them as soon as I have them in my hands. Thank you again for your help!
No worries. I do one standard with 3PDT switches (I already have it) and one with DPDT mini switches, just in case this is what they put inside the S2s

Two layouts for you. Use this one if the mini-switches have three sections (9 contacts each). This is the style of wiring found in Core 24-08. The small value capacitor is added from the hot to the ground when the pickup is split. The unused coil is isolated completely, not shorted to the ground like in older-style splits. Note the screw coil of the neck pickup orientation. It makes no tonal difference when the pickup is in full HB mode, but in split, it does; the active coil (stud coil) is further towards the neck. It has a better neck split tone, apparently.

Click picture to enlarge

Use this layout if your mini-switches are dual-section (6 contacts each). It looks different and uses different types of switches, but electronically, this is the same thing, and it acts the same way. It still isolates the unused coil, adds the small value cap, etc. Make sure to isolate the capacitor legs to avoid shorts. The cap leads may be too short, so you must extend them with an isolated wire. It is not as clean-looking layout as above, but it electronically functions the same. Sure, you can replace the DPDT switch with 3PDT toggles, but there may not be enough room in some guitars - not sure S2, but in SE's, it's a tight fit.

Last edited:
Two layouts for you. Use this one if the mini-switches have three sections (9 contacts each). This is the style of wiring found in Core 24-08. The small value capacitor is added from the hot to the ground when the pickup is split. The unused coil is isolated completely, not shorted to the ground like in older-style splits. Note the screw coil of the neck pickup orientation. It makes no tonal difference when the pickup is in full HB mode, but in split, it does; the active coil (stud coil) is further towards the neck. It has a better neck split tone, apparently.

Click picture to enlarge

Use this layout if your mini-switches are dual-section (6 contacts each). It looks different and uses different types of switches, but electronically, this is the same thing, and it acts the same way. It still isolates the unused coil, adds the small value cap, etc. Make sure to isolate the capacitor legs to avoid shorts. The cap leads may be too short, so you must extend them with an isolated wire. It is not as clean-looking layout as above, but it electronically functions the same. Sure, you can replace the DPDT switch with 3PDT toggles, but there may not be enough room in some guitars - not sure S2, but in SE's, it's a tight fit.

Thank you so much! Def look at them when my guitar arrives. I really appreciate it.

Hey Simon,

I know it's been a while, but I brought my guitar to a local luthier and I think he may have messed up my wiring.

I cannot find ways to post photos here, so here's the link to the other forum with photos.

Link

Basically, it turned out that my guitar had 12 contacts. What confuses me is that my luthier installed pickups in a reverse position unlike your instruction, then soldered wirings at different spots. Is this wrong?

Back