NGD - SE Custom 24 Quilt (new to PRS, new to these forums)

Kiper

Hi there, I'm new here and just got my first PRS guitar - the SE Custom 24 Quilt. I don't think I can post a picture until I have a few posts, so I'll post one after a couple replies.

I'm actually blown away by how good this guitar is. My other guitars are a Fender Am Strat, a Gibson LP, and 3 MIJ Ibanez. This thing definitely hangs with them no problem. I'm particularly loving the ebony fretboard, first time owning a guitar with ebony.

Although the stock pickups are actually pretty decent, I bought a set of Seymour Duncan JB and 59 since they were on sale at the store I bought my SE at, and I know these are known to be good pickups for mahogany guitars. I also have a set of PRS SE locking tuners on the way.

As I said, this is my first PRS, the first PRS that I've played really (been playing guitar for ~20 years). I don't know what took me so long, but I think I get PRS now, I just love playing this ting. I've always thought they looked good, the people over at PRS really have good taste in guitar aesthetics. Unlike Ibanez, which I love, but they seem to only have awful color options these days.

Anyway, I actually had a few questions for you PRS experts:
1- what is the nut material? I see that all model levels (S2, core, SE) all say "PRS" nut, but are they all the same?
2- what is the fret size on these?

Are pictures only allowed if hosted elsewhere? or are you able to post a picture inline?

Here we go

PXL-20231212-020229340.jpg

Congrats on your first, and welcome to the forum.

The nut material changed on the SE line sometime in the last couple of years. It used to be white plastic. Now, I believe it is the same nut used on the Core models. Brass infused synthetic.

As for the frets, I'm not sure they've ever said what size they are.

Hi there, I'm new here and just got my first PRS guitar - the SE Custom 24 Quilt. I don't think I can post a picture until I have a few posts, so I'll post one after a couple replies.

I'm actually blown away by how good this guitar is. My other guitars are a Fender Am Strat, a Gibson LP, and 3 MIJ Ibanez. This thing definitely hangs with them no problem. I'm particularly loving the ebony fretboard, first time owning a guitar with ebony.

Although the stock pickups are actually pretty decent, I bought a set of Seymour Duncan JB and 59 since they were on sale at the store I bought my SE at, and I know these are known to be good pickups for mahogany guitars. I also have a set of PRS SE locking tuners on the way.

As I said, this is my first PRS, the first PRS that I've played really (been playing guitar for ~20 years). I don't know what took me so long, but I think I get PRS now, I just love playing this ting. I've always thought they looked good, the people over at PRS really have good taste in guitar aesthetics. Unlike Ibanez, which I love, but they seem to only have awful color options these days.

Anyway, I actually had a few questions for you PRS experts:
1- what is the nut material? I see that all model levels (S2, core, SE) all say "PRS" nut, but are they all the same?
2- what is the fret size on these?
Welcome!!! Great choice!
I just added a Violet SE CU24 and am getting ready to install core model PRS 57/08 pickups, locking tuners, and a brass Tremolo block to it.

You'll enjoy the heck out of this model!!!

lL5MT4q.jpeg

locking tuners, and a brass Tremolo block to it.

Which brass block are you going for? And just the block, no saddles?

I just ordered the Musiclily brass block myself, I'm gonna stick with the original saddles for now, they seem fine.

Which locking tuners you going for? I just ordered the PRS SE locking tuners.

Amazing looking guitar, love the purple! I think the black back is a really good pairing for this top.

I just ordered the Musiclily brass block myself, I'm gonna stick with the original saddles for now, they seem fine.

Amazing looking guitar, love the purple! I think the black back is a really good pairing for this top.
MannMade for everything.

I just got the block. I've done it block and saddles and even full tremolo unit before and to me, the brass block makes the most difference, especially for the money!

Congrats, that’s a beauty.

Personally speaking, the PRS SE lockers are really good for the money.

I take it the brass block you’re buying is correctly spaced and has the screw mounts in the correct place for the PRS trem? I’m sure you’ve done your research, you seem like a switched on dude.

Last edited:
Got the Seymour Duncan JB in, brass block and the PRS locking tuners along with brand new D'addario XS strings (9-42). Unfortunately, the SD 59 I got is a 2 conductor, so I'm gonna have to return it and exchange it for the 4 conductor version. But I still get to try out the JB in the bridge so that's fine for now.

I know you've all seen these things already, but pics are always fun, so here's some pics I took along the way.

The guitar definitely sounds better, and more open and clear. Pretty good upgrade. The tuners just look so sexy too.

One interesting things, I had quite the trouble taking off the original strings. They were sorta stuck up inside the block. Had to push a small allen key down to get them out. Luckily, the new block holds the string pretty shallow, closer to the edge. It's also really smooth so the strings shouldn't get stuck with the new block.

Got the Seymour Duncan JB in, brass block and the PRS locking tuners along with brand new D'addario XS strings (9-42). Unfortunately, the SD 59 I got is a 2 conductor, so I'm gonna have to return it and exchange it for the 4 conductor version. But I still get to try out the JB in the bridge so that's fine for now.

I know you've all seen these things already, but pics are always fun, so here's some pics I took along the way.

The guitar definitely sounds better, and more open and clear. Pretty good upgrade. The tuners just look so sexy too.

One interesting things, I had quite the trouble taking off the original strings. They were sorta stuck up inside the block. Had to push a small allen key down to get them out. Luckily, the new block holds the string pretty shallow, closer to the edge. It's also really smooth so the strings shouldn't get stuck with the new block.
Nice mods! The string sticking in the stock block is a common annoyance.

Great guitar, and equally great mods!!!

The SE locking tuners are so, so good. Personally, I can’t tell much difference between those and the S2 or core phase II/III tuners. So they’re about as good as you can get in my book.

I really like that the headstocks on the new quilted SE’s have a matching veneer and matching finish. I have a 25th SE, those had a quilt top and quilt headstock veneer, but most of the headstock veneers are quite subtle in the finish. A few of them really popped, but nothing like what you’ve got there!

IMG-1163.jpg

re: the block swap... the screws holes on the original block look counter-sunk, and the brass block holes don't appear to be... were you able to get a flush fit of the brass block against the trem plate despite the difference?

Belated happy new guitar day, btw!

Back