Fear of modding...

douga

This will seem weird to many of you, but...

I got a set of locking tuners for my SE Silver Sky, and I'm just afraid to start the process of installing them. I have the correct tool, but I feel like I'm going to break something or otherwise eff it up. I feel like I'm going to break the screws when I take the old tuners out.

I have the same fear about putting in a new tremolo block.

Thank goodness I don't have new pickups. I'd be sitting in a corner shaking....

Tuners are a good place to start. What tuners did you get? If you got the right ones it's a straightforward swap.
I got the MannMade SE Silver Sky locking tuners. I don't even have to change grommets. Should be easy. It's just that the screws are really tight, so I get weird and worry that they'll break. :(

Of course, it's unlikely that they will, but why waste all that worrying?

I got the MannMade SE Silver Sky locking tuners. I don't even have to change grommets. Should be easy. It's just that the screws are really tight, so I get weird and worry that they'll break. :(

Of course, it's unlikely that they will, but why waste all that worrying?
You'll be just fine. An easy direct swap. Unscrew and drop those bad boys in!

They won't break. The back right out. Use a screw driver that fits snug and don't give a strip a second thought..

For years I was reluctant to change anything because I was afraid I'd mess it up. Now the first thing I do as soon as I get new stuff is take it apart. There are dozens of YouTube videos for pretty much any mod. Watch as many as you can and go slow.

For tuners, a lot of people re-use the original screws to avoid wearing out the holes. If they're hard to turn consider rubbing some beeswax or soap on them to keep them from sticking.

Also, always use the right sized tool and stay away from pliers. Wrenches, sockets, or the cheap guitar spanner tools will save you a ton of heartache and regret.

For years I was reluctant to change anything because I was afraid I'd mess it up. Now the first thing I do as soon as I get new stuff is take it apart. There are dozens of YouTube videos for pretty much any mod. Watch as many as you can and go slow.

For tuners, a lot of people re-use the original screws to avoid wearing out the holes. If they're hard to turn consider rubbing some beeswax or soap on them to keep them from sticking.

Also, always use the right sized tool and stay away from pliers. Wrenches, sockets, or the cheap guitar spanner tools will save you a ton of heartache and regret.
This seems all good advice. I am definitely reusing the original screws.
Fairly sure I have the right sized screwdriver :)
However, I do have to press a bit to make sure that the screwdriver stays in the slots. Maybe that's just because the screws are so tightly in the holes.

Too large or too small of a Phillips and you'll wind up stripping the head of the screws, I unfortunately know this from personal experience . A small bit driver kit is a solid low cost investment to make sure you always have the right one. You can usually find them for around $10-15.

Too large or too small of a Phillips and you'll wind up stripping the head of the screws, I unfortunately know this from personal experience . A small bit driver kit is a solid low cost investment to make sure you always have the right one. You can usually find them for around $10-15.
Naive question, but...don't you then need a power drill to use the bit set?

So...when you strip a screw head, how do you get it out?
Going to take it to a friends, and he can help me but...

I got the correct size, replaced one tuner, and the next tuner, I stripped the screw head. So I have one locking tuner so far. I'll get to the rest later. Because it's never good to work on the guitar when you're angry with yourself....

Don’t take this the wrong way but, some folks should not work on their own instruments. Take it to a good tech and let them swap it for you. It shouldn’t cost you more than $50, maybe less than that depending on where you are.

So...when you strip a screw head, how do you get it out?
Going to take it to a friends, and he can help me but...

I got the correct size, replaced one tuner, and the next tuner, I stripped the screw head. So I have one locking tuner so far. I'll get to the rest later. Because it's never good to work on the guitar when you're angry with yourself....
Did you strip one?

Back