Fear Is The Mind-Killer.

I have some stuff the band and I did together but I don’t even know how to post it.

I would just need there permission to post. I have to be fair. One of the bands I was in, you could never post anything anywhere. The other guitar player was very vocal about keeping everything private. Paranoid actually.

Great post Les. I admit to not putting stuff out there because I’m not real fond of criticism. I know how things could be online. I know I don’t play as well as I used to. And, TBH, getting a decent recording set up, seems to be a real hassle unless you can just go dump a bunch of money on it

I have some stuff the band and I did together but I don’t even know how to post it.

I would just need there permission to post. I have to be fair. One of the bands I was in, you could never post anything anywhere. The other guitar player was very vocal about keeping everything private. Paranoid actually.
Soundcloud is a free account that let's you upload/share various sound files ie mp3 or wav

Sometimes, I suffer from "imposter syndrome" with my music. I am struggling to regain my ability to do a lot of what I used to do playing guitar. After a career change at 50, my time to play became severely limited. I was always pretty much a rhythm guitarist but what I did, I did pretty well. After 12 years of not playing much, my hands just dont want to work like they used to.

I have kept up with music in learning to make computer based music and even learned new skills in mixing the same. I was always a competent composer of simple folk based songs and in my old age, working on Electronica, I have gone beyond the simple verse, chorus, bridge structure of composing, for good or bad. The reality is, I went from a singer, songwriter playing in a band, that could pack local clubs in our region, to someone who posts music on line and is lucky to get 25 plays. I go to genre specific areas of the web with my music and I am always told, I dont belong. I keep plugging along though, because I really am doing it for my own sense of satisfaction. But it does seem like I am more and more isolated in what I do.

Soundcloud is a free account that let's you upload/share various sound files ie mp3 or wav
Youtube is also free. I taught myself to make simple videos and found a program with a "make simple video" button that even automatically adjusts the video time to your audio. I just use royalty free samples of video I find on a web site. The only downside to Youtube is sometimes their compression of your audio will make your mixes a bit wonky. If I limit my use of compression in the original mix, it does not affect it very much.

Everybody has fears.
I grab in my memories of being pupil on a grammar school being tought in humanistic manners, and of course in languages Latin in ancient Greek.
I remember a Latin lesson, I can't tell if it was about Cicero or Seneca, I'm sure it was one of those two philophers. One stated: You can't fear what you don't know (or what you have not experienced). But, being honest, we are afraid being faced with spines, we are afraid if we think about highs.

Maybe it's all about: Don't over think, but dare and do!

You shouldn't scale or discriminate between potentially endangering actions or everything else. You need of course routine or repetitions to mitigate fears, but it need not to be automatism, because then there is the risk to become careless. In my profession: Act every demolition like it is the first one.

Another idea to mitigate fears is medidation. Meditation is an act in full conciousness. You could think that thing that fears from every angle in order to fill the core chance and core risk table. On the other hand side, negative aspect, it has the tendency of over thinking.

Last edited:
Great post Les. I admit to not putting stuff out there because I’m not real fond of criticism. I know how things could be online. I know I don’t play as well as I used to. And, TBH, getting a decent recording set up, seems to be a real hassle unless you can just go dump a bunch of money on it

Howie you have great chops.

I get how you feel. But we’re a positive crew here, well mostly. It’s a safe place.

Dude, you play well enough that I'd freakin' hire you for the right project. That's how good you are.

Do not be shy. Very few of us have your skills!

Everybody has fears.
I grab in my memories of being pupil on a grammar school being tought in humanistic manners, and of course in languages Latin in ancient Greek.
I remember a Latin lesson, I can't tell if it was about Cicero or Seneca, I'm sure it was one of those two philophers. One stated: You can't fear what you don't know (or what you have not experienced). But, being honest, we are afraid being faced with spines, we are afraid if we think about highs.

Maybe it's all about: Don't over think, but dare and do!

You shouldn't scale or discriminate between potentially endangering actions or everything else. You need of course routine or repetitions to mitigate fears, but it need not to be automatism, because then there is the risk to become careless. In my profession: Act every demolition like it is the first one.

Another idea to mitigate fears is medidation. Meditation is an act in full conciousness. You could think that thing that fears from every angle in order to fill the core chance and core risk table. On the other hand side, negative aspect, it has the tendency of over thinking.
Wonderful advice and thinking!

Sometimes, I suffer from "imposter syndrome" with my music. I am struggling to regain my ability to do a lot of what I used to do playing guitar. After a career change at 50, my time to play became severely limited. I was always pretty much a rhythm guitarist but what I did, I did pretty well. After 12 years of not playing much, my hands just dont want to work like they used to.

I have kept up with music in learning to make computer based music and even learned new skills in mixing the same. I was always a competent composer of simple folk based songs and in my old age, working on Electronica, I have gone beyond the simple verse, chorus, bridge structure of composing, for good or bad. The reality is, I went from a singer, songwriter playing in a band, that could pack local clubs in our region, to someone who posts music on line and is lucky to get 25 plays. I go to genre specific areas of the web with my music and I am always told, I dont belong. I keep plugging along though, because I really am doing it for my own sense of satisfaction. But it does seem like I am more and more isolated in what I do.
Here's my thinking:

I get my stuff on national TV but my own electronic music album gets very few plays. However, when it does, they're in places like Brazil. Spain, Vladivostok, Croatia, France, the US, and Mexico. And more, but those are the ones that surprised me.

It doesn't matter how many people like it. I'm happy that ANYONE likes it!! [insert laughing at myself emoji!].

Just post it. If you packed local clubs you're good. Do it. You will 100% have my support - and respect!

Dude, you play well enough that I'd freakin' hire you for the right project. That's how good you are.

Do not be shy. Very few of us have your skills!
I did a couple videos for a friend, that I just did with my iphone. I've been trying to rig something up to do audio and video at the same time. I was playing my Atomic Amplifire into Garage Band on the ipad. The sound was NOT good. I was shocked at how much worse it was than either the monitors or the headphones plugged into my SSL 2+ or my little Soundcraft mixer. I used the SSL as the audio input and was recording to the video part of the ipad camera. Figured something in the ipad is significantly reducing fidelity in that setup. Garage Band itself won't let you record video. It actually sounded better when I let the camera phone from my phone or ipad just record the sound of my monitors, than when I fed it through a decent interface. That didn't make ANY sense to me.

I've got to find something else to try...

Ah fear! Been my nemesis for decades ;~(( Even though I started playing at a very young age, and fell in love with music, I never wanted a career in music, in large part due to fears. But it was not the fear of "nobody gonna like it". My fears were as follows:

1. Fear of not living up to my own expectations. Music is my religion and I would often quote in my head, a line from Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" where in the song "The Lamia" Rael laments "Only a magic that a name would stain". I feared that my contribution to the music world would, IMO, be a "stain" on my religion. I just never felt early in my life that my contributions could add anything of value to the magic of music. I no longer feel this way.

2. Fear of becoming really good, yet not being able to make a living at it (listen to Harry Chapin's "Mr. Tanner" for a story chronicling such fear). So many great musicians end up abandoning their music and/or survive as starving artists because our culture (and the control of the music industry) creates incredible barriers that stifle many artists. I was stifled from even attempting to become what I could be by the structure of that industry and in part our capitalist culture. It is all about my fears and decisions in the end, but these elements (remember the Payola scams of the 70's) created said fears that pushed me towards those decisions.

3. Fear of death. I started smoking cigarettes in 1st grade at the age of 7. I quit shortly after my 9th birthday because I was huffing and puffing trying to tie my ice skates, and realized that it was probably the fault of the tobacco clogging my lungs. Knowing that very early on in my life, and seeing so many artists die of overdose and other un-natural causes of death, I was certain that if I did go into music, and had any kind of success I would undoubtedly die very young. Even as a broke buffoon in my 20's, I still almost killed myself many times over with drugs, alcohol, sheer stupidity, etc.

4. Fear of output being influenced by success. When you start getting paid big dollars, and the ones writing the checks say "yes, another album just like that", it is going to be hard for anyone, however devoted to their principles, to say no to producing what they tell you will give you another 7 figure bounce to your account. I ONLY want to produce what I want to produce and NEVER want to produce music simply because it will make money. If it does not move me to produce it, I do not want to be influenced by money to make it. Having written over 2,000 songs at this point, and having made nearly nothing from such efforts, I think I am on track to die without having to worry about this one!!!

We all love acceptance and adoration, but when it comes to music, I refuse to compromise and will therefore remain an artist true to only myself. If anyone does like it, that is sprinkles for me as I have already had my cake and eaten it over and over. 90% of what I have recorded and released I LOVE listening to as much as I love listening to any other artists music. I also had the "success" of having 6 different tracks from my first album (released in 2015) get played on more than a dozen college and independent radio stations I sent it to (and that is just the stations that report, most do not). Based on that, I realized that some of what I am doing is recognized by others as having value, and that made me feel good but did not prevent me from going in a completely different musical direction 12 months later ;~))

If you made it this far in my ramblings, congrats! I will close this by saying, whatever you do, be true to yourself. Don't let fears control what you are doing or why you are doing it. I succumbed to such fears early on in life and the older I get, the less relevant those fears are. Chime on Brothers and Sisters and make that music that is a primal urge inside of you!

If you made it this far in my ramblings, congrats! I will close this by saying, whatever you do, be true to yourself. Don't let fears control what you are doing or why you are doing it. I succumbed to such fears early on in life and the older I get, the less relevant those fears are. Chime on Brothers and Sisters and make that music that is a primal urge inside of you!
I agree with you!

The good news now is that the only thing between you and your audience is...you.

The Gatekeepers can be avoided. You might not reach a mass audience, but all you need are 1000 fans to make a living, if you sell your own work!

I have a brand new attitude! It’s called I love what I am playing and if you don’t then don’t listen. Caring too much about what others think of me and my playing just leads to negativity sometimes. I beat myself up endlessly. I am seriously tired of this.

I think of how many endless hours I have put into practicing and playing. I have put my heart and soul into everything guitar. Just like all of you here. I just can’t care anymore. I do care a bit but not enough to upset myself. I will be the best guitar player that I can be. That’s that!!

It took me a bit to get over stage fright! But I did that too.

I will put it to you this way. While busking downtown last summer and seeing ppl
stop to listen to me with a smile on their face, little kids dancing and having a good time. I take pride in that. It keeps me going no matter what! I just can’t care anymore.

I have a brand new attitude! It’s called I love what I am playing and if you don’t then don’t listen. Caring too much about what others think of me and my playing just leads to negativity sometimes. I beat myself up endlessly. I am seriously tired of this.

I think of how many endless hours I have put into practicing and playing. I have put my heart and soul into everything guitar. Just like all of you here. I just can’t care anymore. I do care a bit but not enough to upset myself. I will be the best guitar player that I can be. That’s that!!

It took me a bit to get over stage fright! But I did that too.

I will put it to you this way. While busking downtown last summer and seeing ppl
stop to listen to me with a smile on their face, little kids dancing and having a good time. I take pride in that. It keeps me going no matter what! I just can’t care anymore.
Good on ya mate!
Healthy attitude!:)
When I gig I'm happy AF to be there, and am stoked if others are too.

I care very much what other people think of my work, but I'm in a different category. If people don't like my work, I don't get hired.

I like being hired. Therefore, I care if it's not well-received.

I'd probably care even if I didn't do music for a living, just because I like it when the music is appreciated. Go figure.

Last edited:
Back