'COVID-19' Projects

Replaced a bedroom office chair with the computer desk one, and purchased a used high-back office chair for the computer desk. The previous bedroom chair arms were uncomfortable and it felt like I was constantly sliding forward off the chair. At least the new chair has nicer arm supports and is more comfortable. Darned if I know how to work the adjustment controls on the side...LOL...

The latest delivery...

gshEihT.jpg

uKJrho9.jpg

Another tarot card box. Here's the full gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/uJV7mup

A commission piece... Alder, crushed velvet and covered in boiled linseed oil and amber shellac. This is the first time I've worked with alder. I liked it a lot.

Got kinda busy over the weekend... Built a laundry station for the wife on Saturday (not exciting, basically, just a big flat table that sits over the washer and dryer).

Sunday, I built a new table to go with the Adirondack chairs that sit on our front porch...

8tDhruz.jpg

I had picked up this really nice rift sawn western red cedar at the lumber yard last week.

KCihcw0.jpg

It's really soft, but I love the look, and smell, of this stuff a lot!

b8xAACw.jpg

8pcuDNJ.jpg

It was a very soothing build that took about three hours, with a result I'm super happy with.

Got kinda busy over the weekend... Built a laundry station for the wife on Saturday (not exciting, basically, just a big flat table that sits over the washer and dryer).

Sunday, I built a new table to go with the Adirondack chairs that sit on our front porch...

I had picked up this really nice rift sawn western red cedar at the lumber yard last week.

It's really soft, but I love the look, and smell, of this stuff a lot!

It was a very soothing build that took about three hours, with a result I'm super happy with.

That's a great project! I'm thinking about building a set of chairs, but there are so many different plans out there that it's hard to choose! How did you decide?

That's a great project! I'm thinking about building a set of chairs, but there are so many different plans out there that it's hard to choose! How did you decide?

Shhhhh, I didn't build the chairs from scratch. We bought them at HD last year, End of Summer clearance (we bought in August, all the Summer stuff was going on clearance). They're Hampton Bay, I am pretty sure. I would have built them myself, but the wife was convinced it would take me too long.

Of course, it literally took me three hours to build the table. Probably would have taken me longer to build the chairs, I'm sure.

Honestly, if my wife had let me build the chairs, I probably would have really focused on more of a Greene and Green style, but I am not sure they did any outdoor chairs....

Shhhhh, I didn't build the chairs from scratch. We bought them at HD last year, End of Summer clearance (we bought in August, all the Summer stuff was going on clearance). They're Hampton Bay, I am pretty sure. I would have built them myself, but the wife was convinced it would take me too long.

Of course, it literally took me three hours to build the table. Probably would have taken me longer to build the chairs, I'm sure.

Honestly, if my wife had let me build the chairs, I probably would have really focused on more of a Greene and Green style, but I am not sure they did any outdoor chairs....

Lol, I'm in the EXACT same boat!! Then again, my other problem is that I told her that these were a great idea...

43B436A.jpg

Here are a few "in progress" pix to disabuse anyone out of the theory that this is a weekend project. And some sense as to why I was too intimidated to start for so long. But I do have some time on my hands, so.....

There will be a LOT of sawdust:

Work in progress earlier on legs and joints to connect to the seat....
I am pretty sure I do not have more than ONE of these in me!

What a difference a few hours a day of relentless shaping, scraping and sanding makes....Over MANY weeks......StIll a long way from the finish line, but DAMN all those odd angles (just TRY to find one 90 degree right angle!) seem to be coming together. Getting ready for the ebony screw hole fillers, faring the arms and legs into connecting pieces, then on to the sleds (rockers)......
IMG_2381 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_2382 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr

What a difference a few hours a day of relentless shaping, scraping and sanding makes....Over MANY weeks......StIll a long way from the finish line, but DAMN all those odd angles (just TRY to find one 90 degree right angle!) seem to be coming together. Getting ready for the ebony screw hole fillers, faring the arms and legs into connecting pieces, then on to the sleds (rockers)......
IMG_2381 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr
IMG_2382 by DJANGO 49, on Flickr

i love that. beautiful work.

+1 on Beautiful. I'm super impressed that I can tell you didn't use any harsh chemicals or oversized tools, looks like a lot of painstaking attention to detail.

Back