Fear Is The Mind-Killer.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!

It was helpful to read what you wrote.

I feared ( o_O ) that I was the only one to think certain things, but it was nice to see that I am not alone.

In my case, now that I am 34, I can't say yes to stuff that isn't paid. London ain't cheap at all.. And that's connected with my fear of not doing anything relevant, musically speaking, and just being a ' teacher ' because it's paid and it's something I am quite familiar now.

I would like to play with an original band, doing stuff that I really like. But as you already probably know, that is a lot of work, money and time. And I like to do things pretty well, especially now that the market is saturated.

Or am I just scared?

I feared ( o_O ) that I was the only one to think certain things, but it was nice to see that I am not alone.

In my case, now that I am 34, I can't say yes to stuff that isn't paid. London ain't cheap at all.. And that's connected with my fear of not doing anything relevant, musically speaking, and just being a ' teacher ' because it's paid and it's something I am quite familiar now.

I would like to play with an original band, doing stuff that I really like. But as you already probably know, that is a lot of work, money and time. And I like to do things pretty well, especially now that the market is saturated.

Or am I just scared?
I think everyone is scared of something, one way or another! The question is, do you let that scare influence what you do or do not do? When music is our love, we have to make sacrifices to make progress I think, but you know it will be worth it. I say put your feelers out there and if opportunity comes, even at zero pay, if you love what you are doing, you should go for it!! Best of luck!!!

Or am I just scared?
It sounds like you have the desire to have some financial security - of course, that's a good thing.

There's no reason you can't also play with an original band. Maybe it becomes a transition, maybe it's something you have on the side. I practiced law for well over a year while I transitioned to a music career. Soon the music took over, and I've always felt it was right for me.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

-- Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965

As some here know, I've been in the ad music biz a long time. I've never been fearful of whether a client will like my work, because 99% of the time, they want rock or pop music, and that's easy for me to write and deliver. School of Rock is a musical show, not a real deal thing (and yeah, I know, there's a chain of music lesson places, and OK, but...). I've been well paid for over 32 years to write, play and produce that stuff.

Orchestral Music?

Well, brothers and sisters, that is a horse of a different color.

It took me a long time to work up the courage to put my orchestral work out there in the world. I mean, you put music out that you're not 'qualified' for, and who knows what can happen? People might tell you that you suck!! ;)

I'm not conservatory-trained in orchestral music. But, the things you learn from kids...

I was having a discussion with my daughter, who's a visual artist, about my talented granddaughter, who's doing professional musical theater. I was saying how much I've learned from my little 11 year old sweetheart about 'putting it out there'.

Something she said last summer really caught my attention. After completing a season (80 shows) of professional Sound of Music performances in Chicago at the Marriott theater, instead of performing a role or singing something she'd already mastered, she did a tap dance performance at her summer camp on talent night. She was a beginner at tap.

I asked, "Weren't you a little nervous just being a beginner?"

She said, "So what? None of them can do it."

The things you learn from the honesty of little kids. She isn't afraid to put it out there! And why should she be?

Then I thought not only about myself, but about other people who might be shy about posting their music here or elsewhere. And you know what? None of us can be you. You're unique. Your music is unique. You have instruments, Chances are, you're pretty good at using them.

Fear is the mind-killer. Record your stuff and post it. Ignore the fear of criticism. No one is going to tell you it sucks. None of us can be you!
Well said Les… thank you….

I care very much what other people think of my work, but I'm in a different category. If people don't like my work, I don't get hired.

I like being hired. Therefore, I care if it's not well-received.

I'd probably care even if I didn't do music for a living, just because I like it when the music is appreciated. Go figure.
I am there with you. I have played in a lot of cover bands over the years. It has been a pretty decent side hustle. You have to be good if you want to get booked. I am a bit of a perfectionist and that causes some frustration with bandmates at times. That is where I have to breathe deep and try to coach people. I practice my parts until I can nail them most times. Others don't have that level of dedication. I have built a good reputation as a guitar player in two different states by putting my heart into it. That makes it easier for me to find people to play with if I want to change things up or move to a different band.

Or am I just scared?
You can easily do this as a side hustle and do well with it. I have done that and have never regretted it.

I have a friend that was in an originals band and they got really close to becoming popular enough to sell some albums. He opened for some very famous 80's bands. They basically imploded because they were not all rowing in the same direction. Some thought they had already made it and others could see how close they were to making it an making a lot of money. Differences in expectations will kill any group.

I have another friend that has been playing longer than I have. He has ended up playing by himself for most of his life. He has some issues functioning in a group. The guy mentioned above, this guy and myself all had the opportunity to get together and jam a while back. They both agreed that the way I did it was the best way to do it. I let my day job pay my bills. I used the money I made playing to help fund the gear I wanted. It didn't pay for all of it but it sure helped take the sting out of the expensive purchases.

Back