Am I the only one here that can't play guitar?

...and so did the quality of the women. ;)

What you don't get from playing James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg songs.

Though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Yeah, I'll stick with what I got...

tawnykitaenmugshot01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't stop when you make a mistake, keep playing. Listen to the isolated guitar tracks of a lot of classic songs and you'll hear mistakes. Live a lot of great players make mistakes. It's all part of playing.

When learning something new break it out into section and learn each part. And don't be afraid to go slow.
And a lot of our favorite players weren't as good on record as we think they are with some of their best work done by ghost players.

Easy to hear, hard to do. You're not the first person who has told me that, but my brain has to catch up to the concept. :tongue:

Thanks for the advice though. :)

PS. I do, however, notice progress overall, every time i play.

Great thread. I suck, but I love playing a great, beautiful guitar. I started playing in January, with a Squier Strat. I QUICKLY purchased a PRS Core Custom 24. Sorry, but just didn't care for the trem. Shortly thereafter, traded it on a Honeyburst Les Paul Standard. (Love it. I think I got a good one!) I'm really enjoying learning on this while I wait for my Artist Package Cu22 with adjustable stoptail. Regardless, I am not good at guitar... yet... but I love owning, seeing and playing these wonderful instruments.

I am learning using the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar DVD series. I have FINALLY mastered all of the songs and exercises for notes in the first position. I am FINALLY starting chords, and loving it. My work schedule does not allow me to schedule REAL lessons, but this is working for me. I try to play for at least 30 minutes every day, and I only miss days here and there when work just doesn't allow.

Anyways, my instruments are far above me, but constant motivation for me to keep working hard and striving to reach my goal.

Kevin

I know I have to in the minority here but the reality is that I can't play guitar.

It seems that I just don't have the talent no matter how much I practice.

I bought my first guitar when I was 12, I'm 48 now and in all honesty, I've barely improved over the years

I can play a couple of intros and sloppy pentatonic scale but not much more. And everything I play is without rhythm and with plenty of mistakes. And all this after a short 36 years.

Now if I'm being honest, I don't really play/practice as much as I should. I'll go at it pretty good for a couple of months then not pick up my guitar for many months (if not years).

But even when I'm playing a lot, my improvement is painfully slow. Then I get frustrated or just lose interest.

Sometimes I think I can spend my way into playing better so I'm not shy about throwing money at gear. Speaking of which, I have a brand new Custom 22 coming in from Brian's Guitars on Monday.

Yes, I paid full retail price for one of the finest guitars made when I have the ability that deserves a $99 Fender Squier :rofl:

So I'm alone in this, right?

This is like reading my autobiography.

Great thread. I suck, but I love playing a great, beautiful guitar. I started playing in January, with a Squier Strat. I QUICKLY purchased a PRS Core Custom 24. Sorry, but just didn't care for the trem. Shortly thereafter, traded it on a Honeyburst Les Paul Standard. (Love it. I think I got a good one!) I'm really enjoying learning on this while I wait for my Artist Package Cu22 with adjustable stoptail. Regardless, I am not good at guitar... yet... but I love owning, seeing and playing these wonderful instruments.

I am learning using the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar DVD series. I have FINALLY mastered all of the songs and exercises for notes in the first position. I am FINALLY starting chords, and loving it. My work schedule does not allow me to schedule REAL lessons, but this is working for me. I try to play for at least 30 minutes every day, and I only miss days here and there when work just doesn't allow.

Anyways, my instruments are far above me, but constant motivation for me to keep working hard and striving to reach my goal.

Kevin

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having real nice gear. If you can afford it and dig it, I think it can hold your interest more strongly. When you play something right it will sound so much more right, theoretically.

What are you using for an amp?

These threads always make me laugh. You might think you suck but I'm quite certain there are many out there that can't hold a candle to what you can do. Don't sell yourself short. As for me, I'm pretty much a hack when it comes to lead playing but I'm OK with that. I always focused on my rhythm playing and that's what I like to do. For years I've practiced with a drum machine. Program an absurd beat and lay on the funk.

I never feel like I have better/more gear than my playing deserves. Others may disagree but no matter.

These threads always make me laugh. You might think you suck but I'm quite certain there are many out there that can't hold a candle to what you can do.

Agreed. The guys that seem to play very well, with the most heart, are often the most modest.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;160439 said:
Agreed. The guys that seem to play very well, with the most heart, are often the most modest.

So true in so many cases. My grandfather always told me to work with the people at the top, they'd be the nicest and most self-effacing. While he wasn't talking about music people, the fact is it's also true for musicians, and really applies to many fields.

But it does take a certain amount of stones, confidence and showmanship to be the lead player in a really good band -- so there's a paradox for ya.

Modest player takes stage, lights up the show.

... so there's a paradox for ya.

I'll add a layer to that. Think how good we could be if we put the time and energy we spend here (talking about it) into being a more educated, dynamic, and technically accurate player. Hell, I know a few great players that would double their value (to a band) if they just focused on their gawd-awful tone.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;160455 said:
I'll add a layer to that. Think how good we could be if we put the time and energy we spend here (talking about it) into being a more educated, dynamic, and technically accurate player. Hell, I know a few great players that would double their value (to a band) if they just focused on their gawd-awful tone.

I'd be an animal if I played as much as I thought about playing. Maybe we should do something about that. Hans...let's start an internet band!!!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;160459 said:
Let's NOT and say we did. :tongue:

Pumpkin Teeth Stew was the greatest rock 'n' roll band we ever didn't create, but said we did!

So true in so many cases. My grandfather always told me to work with the people at the top, they'd be the nicest and most self-effacing. While he wasn't talking about music people, the fact is it's also true for musicians, and really applies to many fields.

But it does take a certain amount of stones, confidence and showmanship to be the lead player in a really good band -- so there's a paradox for ya.

Modest player takes stage, lights up the show.

Met a guy like that years back when I was use to competing with everyone. I was pretty good but he was pretty great; long story short he was and still is one of the most humble guys I know, a monster player and still an influence on me in many ways.
And he was a great showman to boot.

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;160455 said:

True, but one does reach a practicing saturation point. So it's nice to come here and "talk shop."

Back