De-Acquisition Mode - I'm Hearing That A Lot Lately.

why I prefer the company of guitars....​

.Guitars will never leave you , and are ALWAYS there to comfort you
  • Guitars don’t whine… unless you want them to.
  • You can share your Guitar with your friends.
  • Guitars don’t care how many other Guitars you’ve played
  • Guitars don’t care how many other Guitars you have.
  • Guitars don’t care if you look at other Guitars.
  • Guitars don’t care if you buy Guitar magazines.
  • Your Guitar doesn’t care if you never listen to it.
  • Your Guitar won’t care if you leave up the toilet seat.
  • If you say bad things to your Guitar, you don’t have to apologize before you play it again.
  • You can play your Guitar as long as you want and it won’t get sore.
  • You can stop playing your Guitar as soon as you want and it won’t get frustrated.
  • Guitars don’t get headaches.
  • Your Guitar never wants a night out with the other Guitars...well maybe ...
  • Guitars don’t care if you’re late.
  • If your Guitar doesn’t look good you can refinish it or get new parts.
  • Your guitar is always happy when you buy it nice things
  • You can play your Guitar the first time you meet it, without having to take it to dinner, see a movie, or meet its mother.
  • When in mixed company, you can talk about what a great time you had the last time you played your Guitar.
  • You can mute your Guitar and it won’t complain.

Sheer genius!

ok, you've seen right through me. "mostly on board" means... I want stuff! But I'm going along with my wife because she has worked hard and deserves her retirement. I am ok with slowing down on the "luxury purchases" if that's what it takes to make her comfortable.

Not to get too serious, but she grew up very poor, and has done very well for herself but is getting stressed to the breaking point at work due to some very unusual circumstances, so her needs are way more important than my wants. And yes, I could drop $10K on a 594 and a Louis Electric Cobra tomorrow and she wouldn't miss the money at all. But my business has slowed significantly and I'm cool with laying low for a while. My income will go back up when the market improves and more "extra cash" will be coming in, and I'll re-evaluate then.
And the Louis KR12 sits in the corner in my apt. I refuse to carry it up stairs, but I will use my hand truck.

Last edited:
I’m happy with my 2 electrics and 1 acoustic guitars. I want something new to plug into that makes sound come out, but I’m not sure what. That gets hashed around on another thread every once in a while. I’ll probably take the plastic and aluminum to the recycling place, and drop off the ever present donation pile, so net deaquisition?

Here's a little somthin' somethin' from Pat Metheny regarding de-acquisition (end of article but I would recommend reading the whole thing):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/said-really-don-t-practise-152530397.html

. . . I’m a senior citizen and when I check out, hopefully in about 35 years from now, I don’t want my kids to have to figure all that crap out! If you’d like to help us clear it out, you’re welcome! There are pieces of gear in there that were useless in 1976, but now they’re vintage. I’m like, “Really? You want that first-generation MXR digital delay that doesn’t really work? And you want to pay $1500 for it? Be my guest!”

Here's a little somthin' somethin' from Pat Metheny regarding de-acquisition (end of article but I would recommend reading the whole thing):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/said-really-don-t-practise-152530397.html

. . . I’m a senior citizen and when I check out, hopefully in about 35 years from now, I don’t want my kids to have to figure all that crap out! If you’d like to help us clear it out, you’re welcome! There are pieces of gear in there that were useless in 1976, but now they’re vintage. I’m like, “Really? You want that first-generation MXR digital delay that doesn’t really work? And you want to pay $1500 for it? Be my guest!”
I get all that stuff about not wanting to leave a pile of junk for your kids to deal with, but the important stuff in that article is his creative process.

I’ve been living with boxes of my kids’ junk my entire adult life - heck my son won’t even let me throw out his f^cking childhood nerf guns, and I have my daughters’ childhood dolls and other quite useless effluvia in box after box in my storage room. I could use the room for other things!

So if they don’t like dealing with my pristine, valuable and excellent musical gear, and find my well-organized studio too much to deal with?

Tough sh!!t.

I’ll be dead and won’t be around to care what’s done with it.

Meantime, I have a handful of years left on the planet, and I’m fully enjoying the gear and my music-making. I will continue doing so until I drop dead or become incapacitated, whichever comes sooner (which I hope will be death so I can avoid the incapacitated business).

After that? Deal with it.

Apres mois le deluge.

Somebody leaving behind a fortune in guitars and related accessories is my dream fantasy.

And I don’t even need the guitars, but the thrill would be amazing.

I say don’t sell your guitars before you die to save your children and wife from having to research them and get a couple thousand dollars for the trouble. Let them have that experience, and feel closer to you by learning about your passions and what you valued.

The assisted living place and hospital will take all your money before they let you die anyway, so stash a couple PRS for their future.

The assisted living place and hospital will take all your money before they let you die anyway, so stash a couple PRS for their future.
Being married is the same thing as being in an assisted living facility, except I had to change my kids’ diapers instead of having my diaper changed.

But all my money was taken just the same.

Somebody leaving behind a fortune in guitars and related accessories is my dream fantasy.

And I don’t even need the guitars, but the thrill would be amazing.

I say don’t sell your guitars before you die to save your children and wife from having to research them and get a couple thousand dollars for the trouble. Let them have that experience, and feel closer to you by learning about your passions and what you valued.

Brilliant!

Back