Save your ears ~ please !

Or maybe, it’s already too late for him.
It absolutely was. He also hit really hard. At the end of the night it wasn't uncommon for him to go through a few pairs of sticks and there were always "droppings" on the riser. He's also the only person I've ever seen break a kick pedal.

And for context, that was when I was in a country band.

It absolutely was. He also hit really hard. At the end of the night it wasn't uncommon for him to go through a few pairs of sticks and there were always "droppings" on the riser. He's also the only person I've ever seen break a kick pedal.

And for context, that was when I was in a country band.
Yup.
That’s a sign of immaturity. A more mature drummer can make the drums sound good at any volume level.

Yup.
That’s a sign of immaturity. A more mature drummer can make the drums sound good at any volume level.

The actual first sign was the constant name dropping on the way to the first gig. Then it was the playing.

We’ve gone to electric drums at rehearsal to control the overall volume. Helps.

That reminds me the guy we played for made him play electric drums because of the volume. I'm pretty sure he broke a Roland V-Drum snare head once too on a gig and it was a house kit.

I’ve seen this a few times and still don’t understand. If any other kind of musician abuses and damages equipment, it is simply unthinkable and unforgivable. But a drummer? People just seem to shake their heads, chuckle and say, “Oh well…”.
????
[edit- And the drummers, instead of being ashamed, either claim they didn’t do it, or take pride in it like it’s some kind of badge of honor]

We’ve gone to electric drums at rehearsal to control the overall volume. Helps.
My band used Roland v drums and IEMs with the guitar and bass and mikes through the mixing board.

The vocals were the loudest thing in the room and this allowed us to to have many years of rehearsals that n a quiet space.

Amps and Drums for real live on stage though...with a Bose Pro backline for the same sort of clarity without IEMs, and its not necessary to make the Bose real loud to sound good.

Back