De-Acquisition Mode - I'm Hearing That A Lot Lately.

László

Too Many Notes
As my friends are becoming long in the tooth, I'm hearing, "I'm in de-acquisition mode," a lot these days. Even among some of the fellas I'm friendly with who have been avid collectors.

I'm not in that mode, by the way. I like my current lineup too much, and I use it.

I wonder if D.M. is more of an "I used to collect guitars as a hobby but now I'm feeling past it and don't want to own as much stuff," or "I'm starting to think a lot about death/being too old to play," thing. Maybe it's a little of both.

But it does seem to be age-related, at least among my circle of guitar playing friends.

I'll admit there are times I look at my studio and wonder if I spend more time screwing around with the studio than actually creating music, but then I start creating music again and get lost in that.

I think maybe there are times I need to decompress from music-creating. That's when my furniture and amp-moving lunacy happens. But then my creative juices get going and I'm off to the races with music creation again.

One thing's for sure: I want to play music until I can't. So I'm not in D.M. It depresses me a little to see so many of my friends in it.

I'm in that mode. Retirement is on the horizon, in about 12-18 months, I'm going to sell the big house (where my big music room is located in the basement). We already have our retirement home (in an undisclosed location), but it's only a 3 BR, 2 BA with no basement. Sooo... No place for a dedicated music room...

I'll probably wind up keeping 8-10 guitars and 3 amps, but the rest have to go... No place to keep them

Only the best of the best will remain...

I have been in that mode mentally for years. Somehow, it doesn’t ever seem to result in less stuff, though it has occasionally resulted in different stuff. I think, at least partially, the money grab that went on by calling personal online trading a taxable business has soured me on the fun it once was to have a transient section to my stable. You know, the “fun to date but you’re not marrying” sort of instruments. After that, I’ve just pushed towards keeping the keepers. I never bought for resale value, so it won’t be a “roll over in my grave” thing should my wife or kids just give them away when I’m gone.

I don’t have an opinion, pro or con, about others my age or thereabouts (63 at the moment) divesting themselves of property they no longer enjoy owning, or gaining needed finances from selling off excess instruments. To each their own.

I’m still playing, and recently started gigging again on a smaller scale, so my equipment still has multiple purposes to me. I earned the money to buy them by playing so they’re not a debt liability or otherwise negative thing to have. I might sell some here and there, but a “NGD” or “NAD” will likely follow shortly thereafter!

I have been getting rid of stuff for almost two years and probably will continue for another 7-10 years.

There are two motivating factors. One is to create more free space by getting rid of stuff that is unlikely to get used again. The other is to leave my kids with a smaller problem when my stuff becomes their problem.

I don’t expect to stop playing and I don’t expect to end up with just the basics. So there is nothing depressing about my de acquisition.

I’m trying to be in this mode right now. Not with guitar gear, but other stuff. I mean, I’ve got close to 400 dvds that I’m never going to watch again. Stuuf like that and the other random clutter that hasn’t been touched in who knows how long.

Retirement in 8 weeks for me. We are in purge mode, so stuff will go. Probably not guitar stuff yet. I have 3 guitars, an amp, a Fryette PS2 and some pedals, a very tiny 6 + 2 stereo channels mixer and a pair of monitors. One of the pedals is a UA Dream. I sort of have 3-ish rigs out of that pile. I see another amp coming, maybe soon. Maybe one amp leaving in favor of a modeler, if I find one I can get on with. I don’t see ever having more than 5 guitars, and that’s a loooong shot. Family mementos, left over computer junk, old furniture, clothes we’ll never wear again all goes.

Retired almost 3 years ago and find my playing frequency is diminishing some. I sold my guitar wireless system, boost pedal and volume pedal since I don't think I'll play out with a band again anytime soon.

At this point it would be hard to let go of any of my guitars or amps but I know eventually its gonna happen. Why do I need 9 electrics and 3 amps?

I don't know what I'd retire FROM, or what I'd retire TO!

I retired from law 32 years ago and ever since have been doing what I love. I just scored a short film. I love doing my work. I'd love it even if I aged out of being hired to do it, but it certainly wouldn't be voluntary!

I have two brothers-in-law who retired. One walks his dog, and then has nothing to do, except the dog is huge, pulled him off a curb while he was standing there, and he was seriously injured. But he still walks the damn dog.

The other flies large radio-controlled model airplanes. And then has nothing to do.

I can't imagine living like that. I just can't.

Last edited:
I've contemplated selling most of my collection , the bikes, the cars and move to a nice little place in Hawai'i ..just sit on the porch and watch the waves roll , strum my guitar until I become one with the Island
9869b364f0089347096ae23078fb9824-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Last edited:
Retirement in 8 weeks for me. We are in purge mode, so stuff will go. Probably not guitar stuff yet. I have 3 guitars, an amp, a Fryette PS2 and some pedals, a very tiny 6 + 2 stereo channels mixer and a pair of monitors. One of the pedals is a UA Dream. I sort of have 3-ish rigs out of that pile. I see another amp coming, maybe soon. Maybe one amp leaving in favor of a modeler, if I find one I can get on with. I don’t see ever having more than 5 guitars, and that’s a loooong shot. Family mementos, left over computer junk, old furniture, clothes we’ll never wear again all goes.
Congrats on the retirement!

Every time I think of moving to Hawaii, I realize how much of my stuff I’d have to give up. The cost of a home there is quite something, so the shack I’d be able to afford wouldn’t have room for much of anything. Perhaps that dovetails well with the rest of the thread?

I don't know what I'd retire FROM, or what I'd retire TO!

I retired from law 32 years ago and ever since have been doing what I love. I just scored a short film. I love doing my work. I'd love it even if I aged out of being hired to do it, but it certainly wouldn't be voluntary!

I have two brothers-in-law who retired. One walks his dog, and then has nothing to do, except the dog is huge, pulled him off a curb while he was standing there, and he was seriously injured. But he still walks the damn dog.

The other flies large radio-controlled model airplanes. And then has nothing to do.

I can't imagine living like that. I just can't.
AGREED....I have plans when I retire! Wife and I are going to explore every square inch of this country and more.

I can't wait!!!

Musically I already went DM mode when my spine & arthritis forced me into early retirement. Got rid of all the non guitar gear (keyboards, bass, percussion), and all the heavy solid bodies and big body acoustics that make my back pinch up. Went by the golden rule of: If you don't use it in over a year, you really don't need it. Never once regretted it and whittled it all down to 3 gtrs & 2 amps, just enough to get the job done, recording or performing.

As for the rest of my stuff, I even went thru that too as I was once considering becoming an expat and wanted to lighten the load if I went that way. That isn't an option for me now so I'm just good with having a home without a lot of clutter and excess baggage.

Back