Am I the only one here that can't play guitar?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having real nice gear. If you can afford it and dig it, I think it can hold your interest more strongly. When you play something right it will sound so much more right, theoretically.

What are you using for an amp?

Using and enjoying a Fender Mustang III for now. I like the easy and varied tone possibilities. Particularly with me plunking away at my early stage, it really helps preventing boredom from setting in!

I would obviously like a tube amp at some point, but I need to learn more about these (care? maintenance?) before I dive in. Much of the music I enjoy is a bit harder rock music, and I anticipate getting a Diezel, Mesa or Archon when I am finally to a level where I can learn these songs.

Kevin

This is a great topic! I too feel I lack in skill and also feel I should be much better than I am for as long as I have been playing. The band I just joined in May is doing great! I'm having fun and really enjoying myself. I feel some of the music is not my cup of tea but I love being able to craft a part to my satisfaction and making it my own. I guess if they wanted a really fabulous guitar player they should of hired a really fabulous guitar player, right?

I AM my own worst critic and I'm never satisfied with my tone or my playing so I always scrutinize those ares. I hope that when it's all said and done that I will have accomplished something good. But for now, I enjoy playing live and will continue to do so. After all, it's what makes me happy.

Absolutely. Even pro musicians seek out lessons. For the casual player, lessons provide a level of accountability. No one wants to look like the arse that didn't practice before a lesson.

Most guitar players don't attain a level they want because its always the last thing on the list of things to do... after job, kids, mowing the lawn, hanging out with friends. etc. Taking lessons can provide that needed structure.... not only in the making sure you play regularly, but a teacher can point you in the right direction. For example, lots of guys can play killer leads but their rhythm playing stinks. Well, a teacher will emphasize the fundamentals we all need to focus on to be good all around players....and you'd be surprised at how one basic thing you missed or didn't practice at can improve many things down the chain. EVH was such a great lead player because he was as good of a rhythm player and it translated.

Lot of mention of metronome and drum machine. Well... backing tracks or even playing to the actual songs are a lot better, IMO. Not only is it just fun but you really pick up the nuances of your favorite players versus just reading sheet music/tab and pulling out a metronome.

Lot of mention of metronome and drum machine. Well... backing tracks or even playing to the actual songs are a lot better, IMO. Not only is it just fun but you really pick up the nuances of your favorite players versus just reading sheet music/tab and pulling out a metronome.

It is more fun, and whatever works for someone can't be argued with.

However, I find that it also gives me the misimpression that the playing is better than it is, because along with my own playing, I'm hearing everyone else play well. If I was in a studio with a great band, and didn't play all that well, I'd hardly know it (I know this because it happens, the mix sounds great but solo my track and it's 'ugghh').

With a metronome or drum machine, I hear what I'm doing clearly. No having the ear-brain connection fooled by how great the other players are. As I said, this is just for my own situation and everyone's different. But it's something to be aware of.

I don't like playing with a CD because I may not hear or notice my mistakes. If I'm learning a cover song I may play with cd only when I'm confident I have it down. If I do then it will sound like one guitar. I have heard guys say "it sounded better when I played it with the cd". But as Les said, whatever works for you.

I always think about it as there being technical practice where it's about getting things right, then playing practice learning how to play a song and then band practice how to perform with and for people.

I think there are two types of guitar players: those that think they (themselves) suck, and then those that think they are fuggin' amazing. Regardless of how long you've played, if you are in the former camp, you will get down on yourself at every possible opportunity. Heck, you're probably opening for Tom Petty and as soon as you hear someone you respect as an artist play, you think, "I totally suck!" Then you go and play a show, doing your best and not worrying about sucking...just have fun and help others do the same.

Then there's the latter group that is too self-immersed or deranged to realize that they really suck. Those are the people that give the "formers" the confidence to press on. Egos are often worn like a bullet-proof vest. Unfortunately, that's also why the Darwin Awards exist.

I think there's also a third type, those that have an honest self assessment of their abilities. I've been lucky as I've met more of those than the other types and they are a joy to play with and learn from.
The guys who are good but who keep saying they suck aren't being anymore honest with others than the guy who thinks he's amazing but isn't, and both are a pain to have in a band.

I have been playing for over 30 years. Man, times go by fast. I have practice just about everyday possible. I've played some great gigs. I've played professionally for years, given lessons and played in the UF Jazz band. I've done rock, jazz and country studio sessions. I have a boat load of guitars. I sit on the couch watch tv and practice every day. I keep a guitar in my office. When I travel, I take a guitar with me 98% of the time. All that said, I think I suck and I hope I always think that because the day I don't will be the day I'm done getting better.

Think of it this way: a great piano is ten times the price of a great guitar.

Just think how much better off you are not being able to play guitar, than not being able to play piano. :top:

I have to chime in here to say, "Amen, brother." I have 4 sisters who were given piano lessons. I was not, because one of my teachers told my mom that I had no musical talent. I am the oldest and I have a brother who also did not take piano (but he really doesn't have the talent). Now only one of them plays with any regularity and she is alright, but does not 'work' at it much. So, back in the 60's, I met a friend down the street (both in our teens) and he started me in the basics. Got into folk music like all the hippies I knew. Learned with Peter, Paul, and Mary and all that bunch by playing the s**t out of LP's (still have them) over and over and over, phrase by phrase, learning finger-picking. Never could get the hang of a flat pick, go figure. Got good enough to run a coffee house in the basement of the Episcopalian minister's home near the campus where I started college and played most Friday nights like an open mic night. The good ol' days. At one point, I had around 106 songs memorized, Dylan, Lightfoot, Simon & Garfunkel, Joni Mitchell, John Prine, etc... . A couple of years later, joined the Navy and no longer practiced the 3 or 4 or 5 hours at a time like I did before. While overseas, I picked up a pseudo SG and a cheap amp in the Philippines, but never got the hang of it and got rid of it. Kept my acoustic and bought others, gave one to another sister, who still has it, but doesn't play it (she has a piano, a nice one). Over the years, my playing just dropped off to where I could hardly remember the words to but just a few songs, and then not always getting them in the right order.

Recently, the itch came back. Now I've bought some courses, got my SE CU 24, and have the fever. Kids grown up and gone except for one who came back with 3 grandkids who do cut into my practice time a little. But, guess what?

I am damn glad I cannot play a piano!!! :laugh: An artist grade 408 is in my very near future. Thanks, Les!

So the moral here, it doesn't take talent. Just practice, practice, determination, and never, ever quit. I'm not. At 65, I'm making up for lost time, and I intend to join a band within the next 2 years. :beer:

Last edited:
I am damn glad I cannot play a piano!!! :laugh: An artist grade 408 is in my very near future. Thanks, Les!

Haha! Great story!

I actually play piano too, but prefer the guitar. And I have an AP 408! Super guitar, by the way, you won't regret that choice. ;)

I think there's also a third type, those that have an honest self assessment of their abilities. I've been lucky as I've met more of those than the other types and they are a joy to play with and learn from.
The guys who are good but who keep saying they suck aren't being anymore honest with others than the guy who thinks he's amazing but isn't, and both are a pain to have in a band.

Its the Dunning-Kruger effect, only for instruments, its our wonderful brains at work.

Basically, people with little knowledge of a subject will often overestimate their knowledge/abilities (i.e. people who suck but think they're gods gift to shredding), while people considered experts in their fields will actually underestimate their knowledge/abilities.

The people who suck and know they suck, and experts who know they're good are just in touch with reality, lol

Hey look, I used science in a music discussion, woohoo :)

Its the Dunning-Kruger effect, only for instruments, its our wonderful brains at work.

Basically, people with little knowledge of a subject will often overestimate their knowledge/abilities (i.e. people who suck but think they're gods gift to shredding), while people considered experts in their fields will actually underestimate their knowledge/abilities.

The people who suck and know they suck, and experts who know they're good are just in touch with reality, lol

Hey look, I used science in a music discussion, woohoo :)

Oh yes, and more definitively: "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others". Got this from the Wiki. So, basically, it seems that some of the population goes through life with (at least) partial blinders on. This may not be a curable condition...:rofl:

Back