A Lot Can Happen In 50 Years

Oh, me either. I took them for about 10 years, then probably about a year somewhere around 10 years ago. I wish I'd had more formal lessons about theory.

Me too. I've been seriously considering the whole theory thing. I feel like it's the missing link in me progressing as a musician. I just HATE the formality of it! However, I know I'm on a plateau because of my "guarded ignorance" when it come to it. Seems like a necessary evil at this point.

Me too. I've been seriously considering the whole theory thing. I feel like it's the missing link in me progressing as a musician. I just HATE the formality of it! However, I know I'm on a plateau because of my "guarded ignorance" when it come to it. Seems like a necessary evil at this point.

I bought Steve Vai's "Vaideology" book - hopefully that breaks a few nuggets open. My brain always started to fry when someone took a chord and started doing the "well, you can also think of it as a second inversion this, or even a seventh inversion that with a flat 5 and a sharp 12th, and that means this scale will sound kind of good if you avoid the sixth." And by the time I think that, the chord is gone...

I’ve been not taking guitar lessons for 50 years.

Oh, me either. I took them for about 10 years, then probably about a year somewhere around 10 years ago.
I wish I'd had more formal lessons about theory.

I took lessons for about a year and a half at the beginning
but I learned a good trick very early on:

1. Get into a band.
2. Make sure the band has another guitar player.
3. Make sure he/she is better than you.
4. Pay attention.

I think that some in line lessons are a lot more laid back than music theory class used to be in school.

I bought Steve Vai's "Vaideology" book - hopefully that breaks a few nuggets open. My brain always started to fry when someone took a chord and started doing the "well, you can also think of it as a second inversion this, or even a seventh inversion that with a flat 5 and a sharp 12th, and that means this scale will sound kind of good if you avoid the sixth." And by the time I think that, the chord is gone...
I bought that book, too. Unfortunately, it is sitting in exactly the same spot I put it after I opened the envelope in came in. It's been in that spot, undisturbed, for the last two years. o_O:(

I bought that book, too. Unfortunately, it is sitting in exactly the same spot I put it after I opened the envelope in came in. It's been in that spot, undisturbed, for the last two years. o_O:(

I've never tried to learn anything guitar related from a book yet. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it to you guys but I am dyslexic. I have a helluva time reading, I can only imagine how theory would be. :( I've been thinking about something online. There's just so much out there to choose from it's mind boggling. I just know it'll have to keep my attention and it'll have to be methodically structured. That's about the only way my pea brain can soak things up. :)

I have many theory and technique books in that same situation...

So we’re all trying to learn from Vai using that ancient Australian educational method - osmosis.

Or, if you prefer, that educational method designed by a former Black Sabbath vocalist, one of the Three Stooges, and a female sibling. Oz. Moe. Sis.

I've never tried to learn anything guitar related from a book yet. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it to you guys but I am dyslexic. I have a helluva time reading, I can only imagine how theory would be. :( I've been thinking about something online. There's just so much out there to choose from it's mind boggling. I just know it'll have to keep my attention and it'll have to be methodically structured. That's about the only way my pea brain can soak things up. :)

You sound like a visual learner, which now is ideal because there is so much on line content available.

Search YouTube bro.

Small chunks at a time!

First show absolutely had to be, and was KISS, opened by the Rockets, January 1978. Seventh row dead center.......$8.50 per ducat. Can't even look at the beer concession menu for that anymore.

Took a beginners evening class about 40 years ago or so, after playing 'Michael Row The Boat Ashore' for the twentieth time, and listening to the clown behind me trying to play the intro to 'Roundabout' every single class, the urge to grab his acoustic and give him the Bluto Blutarsky treatment in the melon convinced me to just go and figure out how to make my own noise.

In the recent past, I took a one-on-one on-line lesson with Greg Koch and a master class at Sweetwater with Paul Gilbert. I came away with two things:
1. Both were entertaining as hell.
2. What I learned is these guys have something in their DNA that I don’t.

Greg Koch is a funny sob.......so is Gilbert. I envy you having a one on one.

First show absolutely had to be, and was KISS, opened by the Rockets, January 1978. Seventh row dead center.......$8.50 per ducat. Can't even look at the beer concession menu for that anymore.

Took a beginners evening class about 40 years ago or so, after playing 'Michael Row The Boat Ashore' for the twentieth time, and listening to the clown behind me trying to play the intro to 'Roundabout' every single class, the urge to grab his acoustic and give him the Bluto Blutarsky treatment in the melon convinced me to just go and figure out how to make my own noise.
My first KISS show was on the Lick It Up Tour with Vandenberg and Girlschool opening. But, we've seen some great KISS shows in the last 30+ years. Loopfest at the Odeum and the Holiday Inn are pretty high up on the list.

You guys are such slackers. My first concert was the Boston Symphony.

"You fell asleep."

"I was seven years old, what do you expect?"

"When was the last time you went to a symphony concert?"

"Couple of years ago, why?"

"Did you fall asleep?"

"Hey, I was not sleeping. I simply passed out from an overload of inspiration."

"What about that opera just before Covid?"

"My brain can only handle so much inspiration, then it shuts down."

Back