A Lot Can Happen In 50 Years

There was a few years there that those two three-man Canadian bands, were about the best shows going. Of course, Rush always had a killer stage show. But Triumph had a killer show there for a few years running. The best part was, I live about half way between Cincinnati and Dayton, so all those bigger groups would come to both on every tour, so we’d see them twice ever tour. And while I never understood this, they were never close together... They’d be in one town and 3 months later, the other. So even when I was a broke college student, I could go to both shows.

I saw Yngwie just days into his first tour, and a place in Dayton called The Bus Stop. Less than 300 people there. A few years later, he headlined Hara Arena.

Oh and re: twice per tour... I’ve seen Rush 21 times.

I grew up in Fairfield, so you'd think I'd've gone to more shows in Dayton, but only ever one - saw Jimmy Page on the Outrider tour at Hara. It figures that at that time I was living in Clifton, going to UC, so it was more of a drive.

Great story Alan. My dad was a Cash fan as well. He’s one of the few country and/or western guys that I truly like a lot.

I grew up in Fairfield, so you'd think I'd've gone to more shows in Dayton, but only ever one - saw Jimmy Page on the Outrider tour at Hara. It figures that at that time I was living in Clifton, going to UC, so it was more of a drive.
One of my biggest regrets is all the great concerts I missed due to sports. I missed many great concerts because I’d have a basketball or softball game that night and or a high school football game while my brother was still playing.

Speaking of UC, my first concert ever was Frank Zappa at Armory Fieldhouse when I was 16.

One of my biggest regrets is all the great concerts I missed due to sports. I missed many great concerts because I’d have a basketball or softball game that night and or a high school football game while my brother was still playing.

Speaking of UC, my first concert ever was Frank Zappa at Armory Fieldhouse when I was 16.
I missed concerts because I lived in the middle of no where.

I missed concerts because I lived in the middle of no where.
Ah, you had a REAL excuse! Missing Robin Trower multiple times because he always came during softball tournament time, seems silly now that I’ll probably never get to see him. Missed Pink Floyd to play in state softball tournament. Missed two different Van Halen tours due to basketball games. Missed many many more for similar reasons. :(

DTR, it can't really be that bad. Although you've had some good memories of your youth, why not look to the future? We realize that many of the bands of yesteryear have disbanded or just outlived their popularity, and we all long for our former glory days. We all grow older, but there are ways of thinking of things that are encouraging.

Isn't there something you look forward to?

Two bands I want to see when this becomes a reality again are airborne and dead daisies. Dead daises cover of ***** and midnight Moses are killer.

DTR, it can't really be that bad. Although you've had some good memories of your youth, why not look to the future? We realize that many of the bands of yesteryear have disbanded or just outlived their popularity, and we all long for our former glory days. We all grow older, but there are ways of thinking of things that are encouraging.

Isn't there something you look forward to?

I’m confused....

I was just talking about how many great concerts I missed because of sports. I wouldn’t miss a game for anything! I remember one time I missed Trower 5 tours in a row for ball games, every time saying “he’ll be back next year and I will see him then.” But he didn’t come to the area for years after that.

So I’m not sure what you’re referring by “isnt’there anything to look forward too” but I was just reflecting on some of the great shows I’ve missed, that after a while proved to be the last chance ever to see the bands. I’ve seen MANY of the great bands. Obviously, too young to have seen Jimi or Zeppelin, but many of the other all time great bands IMO, I’ve seen. VH was always one of my favorite bands, but I’ve only seen them twice. Once with Dave, once with Sammy. But I would have seen them 10 more times if not for ball games. Literally another top 5 all time for me, Ozzie... never seen him live... ball games. Those two hurt. But, it is what it is. I’ve also told this before, but The Who show in Cincinnati where 13 people died outside... I had tickets for that one but had to give it up. At least it was a real college basketball game for that one, and not just some rec league game. That one, I’m glad for. As the friends who went told some terrible stories about that night...

I’ve also told this before, but The Who show in Cincinnati where 13 people died outside... I had tickets for that one but had to give it up. At least it was a real college basketball game for that one, and not just some rec league game. That one, I’m glad for. As the friends who went told some terrible stories about that night...

Yeah, my ex brother-in-law was at that show, said his feet didn't touch the ground for half an hour outside, was just completely carried by the crowd. Frightening stuff.

Yeah, my ex brother-in-law was at that show, said his feet didn't touch the ground for half an hour outside, was just completely carried by the crowd. Frightening stuff.
That is exactly what the 6’5” 240lb quarterback of our college football team (one of the guys I was going with) said. Word for word.. said he moved back and forth squashed and his feet weren’t touching the ground. Said a petite girl was mashed into him in front, and he had his arms around her pushing to create space because she couldn’t breath. But once they got through the doors, and the crowd spread out, she was ok. The rest, I’d never tell in a forum. :(:(

I’m confused....

I was just talking about how many great concerts I missed because of sports. I wouldn’t miss a game for anything! I remember one time I missed Trower 5 tours in a row for ball games, every time saying “he’ll be back next year and I will see him then.” But he didn’t come to the area for years after that.

So I’m not sure what you’re referring by “isnt’there anything to look forward too” but I was just reflecting on some of the great shows I’ve missed, that after a while proved to be the last chance ever to see the bands. I’ve seen MANY of the great bands. Obviously, too young to have seen Jimi or Zeppelin, but many of the other all time great bands IMO, I’ve seen. VH was always one of my favorite bands, but I’ve only seen them twice. Once with Dave, once with Sammy. But I would have seen them 10 more times if not for ball games. Literally another top 5 all time for me, Ozzie... never seen him live... ball games. Those two hurt. But, it is what it is. I’ve also told this before, but The Who show in Cincinnati where 13 people died outside... I had tickets for that one but had to give it up. At least it was a real college basketball game for that one, and not just some rec league game. That one, I’m glad for. As the friends who went told some terrible stories about that night...

So'k, there's a reason you're confused...for some folks Saturday no work gets done.

What I was saying was there were many great shows during my youth that I didn't attend and regret doing so because I'd likely never see the same band again perform in my region. Bands like The Who or Zep were kept farther away in larger metro areas than bands like Frampton, Genesis, ZZ Top, or VH. And it was exactly these aforementioned folks I had wished to see when I could.

Since then our local music scene has expanded to outdoor concerts in seated and grassy amphitheater's, but there's often the younger crowd that gets rowdy and sometimes requires crowd control...kind of spoils the evening for the peaceful folk...perhaps as I grew older I was worried about my safety at these places, and that was just enough of a deterrent to prevent me from attending...

Nowadays, I long to sit on a sandy beach ala Dave-style sipping a tall cold one while watching the sunset and hearing the wafting music of local bands harmonize to the waves...(if that isn't a good future dream, I dunno what is...)

Back