Renovations, Repairs & Rebuilds...You Choose

Well, my computer chair gave out a warning (the upper seat swiveled as I was tilting back and nearly gave out), so methinks its time for a replacement chair. Viewed Craigslist and happened to find a used office supply store that has plenty of computer chairs to choose from ranging from $25 to $350...so for the time being, will invest in an inexpensive fabric-backed tall upper seat height office chair (est. $40) that will replace my cheapo office chair that has its tilt-back issues. Trying to find a chair that has a rigid upper seat attached to the chair base, rather than separate.

Also, will put my hand to baking some pumpernickel bread today...its rainy outside today, and nothing will be nicer than the smell of warm bread baking in the oven this afternoon...

Monday was a productive day, although it did require a bit of driving to/from places. Had contacted someone via FB Marketplace for a computer chair that was being offered cheap: $15. The images did delineate the reason why the chair was so cheap, and when the chair was viewed in person and sat upon, indeed, my mind was changed and it was necessary for me to offer my apology for wasting the householder's time.

Long story short, there was also a Craigslist business that specialized in used office furniture, so a quick phone call and hour drive from MA where the other chair was located, my new computer chair awaited.

The business owner was to-the-point and walked me back into his warehouse. "THAT one looks nice!" I commented. "That one is $200, I don't think you want that." "Perhaps some less expensive chairs, then?" I asked. The owner said, "Over here, these are $40"

So $40 later, now gots a decent computer chair with rigid upper back seat that doesn't tilt back, also is adjustable armrest sideways and lower seat height-wise. Even the upper seat height is adjustable. Added a lumbar cushion (need some safety pins for securing cushion to the upper seat) and lower seat cushion. Am feeling better regards my posture and knowing that I can now sit with coffee mug astride and not tilt off-kilter to one side while mousing. (It was a bit of a challenge trying to sit while not looking like a village idiot after a few hours of computer use. Strange, but true)

no photo of the unacceptable chair?

Let me see if I can pull the one I was looking at from FB. Will let you know in a minute...

Here is the faux leather one (thought it would be a bit sticky on skin during warm weather and not be as 'healthy' for me...couldn't find the side image (since deleted from FB) where the left armrest was a bit chewed up...)

Kw3L4mg.jpg

And my current chair picked up yesterday. (Will need to attach some safety pins to hold the lumbar support in place)

y7gnUui.jpg

Last edited:
These were my small household projects I found time to work with today. How about you folks, are you This Old House fans who also find home projects to do? Also, if perhaps you have any guitar RR&R you are spending time on, please add yours.

I don't find home projects. They find me. :rolleyes:

This week the garbage disposal rusted through and started leaking badly. The kitchen faucet had also seen better days, so I figured I may as well get 'em both done while I was under there. I could think of a dozen other ways I'd rather spend half a Saturday.

I don't find home projects. They find me. :rolleyes:

This week the garbage disposal rusted through and started leaking badly. The kitchen faucet had also seen better days, so I figured I may as well get 'em both done while I was under there. I could think of a dozen other ways I'd rather spend half a Saturday.

I think this is the classic way things occur...things and people grow older, and if they're not well-maintained or cared for, they eventually break down into disrepair.

We all have responsibilities regards maintenance; if we need something to last a long time, we take care of it. Our possessions, our homes, our cars, our bodies. Without that mindset, we all would have ended up in that giant junk pile in our backyards long ago.

I think this is the classic way things occur...things and people grow older, and if they're not well-maintained or cared for, they eventually break down into disrepair.

We all have responsibilities regards maintenance; if we need something to last a long time, we take care of it. Our possessions, our homes, our cars, our bodies. Without that mindset, we all would have ended up in that giant junk pile in our backyards long ago.

I’m pretty sure I’m in that junk pile due to disrepair and lack of maintenance, but I’m not in a backyard. However, I’m in the basement, which might be less appealing, depending on the weather.

Funny, my dad compares himself to a classic car in need of restoration (a longtime hobby of his).

I’m pretty sure I’m in that junk pile due to disrepair and lack of maintenance, but I’m not in a backyard. However, I’m in the basement, which might be less appealing, depending on the weather.

Funny, my dad compares himself to a classic car in need of restoration (a longtime hobby of his).

I tell people I’m a 1974 Pontiac Firebird (not quite a TA) that’s only had gas and oil changes.

My favorite line is "someone borrowed my 25-year-old body and forgot to give it back..." :oops:

A bit of good news. Insurance assessment today and things are looking hopeful!

A lot of work is going to need to be done, as it’s and “auld hoose”! Built around 1890, so about when Les was in his teens!;)

bad news is you’re still on an island with millions of english. i’m probably telling that one wrong, it’s funny when a scot says it.

Living room and hallway flooring removed! Currently sitting in the front garden!

Industrial de-humidifier running several hours a day now!

There is talk of the ceilings being removed to enable the drying process.

Messy times ahead!:(

Living room and hallway flooring removed! Currently sitting in the front garden!

Industrial de-humidifier running several hours a day now!

There is talk of the ceilings being removed to enable the drying process.

Messy times ahead!:(

Demo is never a neat process. Once you've got things cleaned up (though partially) the construction becomes easier. Just be sure you're following safety guidelines so no one gets hurt on the job. (Am a wide proponent for job safety, can't stress this enough) Best wishes! There's a John Lee Hooker song being played in your honor, and it involves hammerin'.

Demo is never a neat process. Once you've got things cleaned up (though partially) the construction becomes easier. Just be sure you're following safety guidelines so no one gets hurt on the job. (Am a wide proponent for job safety, can't stress this enough) Best wishes! There's a John Lee Hooker song being played in your honor, and it involves hammerin'.

Thanks CP! I appreciate the kind thoughts and advice.

Wish list project that has been on the waiting list for the past year...

Building a new resin outdoor 4'8"W x 2'8"D x 6'4"H shed that will house my seasonal vehicle tires, some of my garden tools, some of my outdoor grill accessories (some charcoal and charcoal chimney?), and maybe room for my ceramic planters on a shelf for winter storage...

Shed has been ordered, materials for the wooden PT foundation will be hand-picked from the home improvement store. Will need to use composite decking material for the upper foundation surface, and lag screws to attach the shed base to the upper foundation.

Also will need to purchase my tomato seedlings today. Weather has cooperated thus far and seedlings can be planted either today or Monday.

Last edited:
Computer chair has been a blessing. Supports the upper and lower back without compromising posture, the back and seat cushions help mitigate any potential pain issues.

In other news, spoke with my subcontractor carpenter brother about building the foundation for my outdoor shed. Provided him with some composite deck screws he'll need to do the job from home. My brother said he'd look into whether he could find the necessary lumber and decking materials from his own supplier, rather than needing to transport from Home Depot. He said that if buying from his more local supplier would save him the cost of gas to/from HD, that might be easier on his wallet.

So, the waiting begins...waiting for HD to notify me when the outdoor shed parts arrive in-store, and waiting for my brother to find time to build the wooden frame foundation and truck it completed over to my apartment.

Offered to locate someone else to put the shed together other than my brother (his time is precious and can't typically afford to take part of his weekend away from his other activities). Possibly one of my friends from my congregation who just finished up college courses this semester. Just need to find a good weather weekend where we can attach shed parts to foundation base and put things together.

Will offer the friend a decent home cooked meal with drinks once we've finished plus some form of compensation for both my brother and friend for their work. (Obviously, repaying my brother for materials purchased on my behalf, and time considered.) Might be nice to ask my brother over for a BBQ to receive his approval of our work once things are completed. (Yeah, need to be sure things were built according to instructions correctly.)

Back