Renovations, Repairs & Rebuilds...You Choose

Les' floor is probably that much because he's doing it in walnut, or mahogany, perhaps Brazilian Rosewood, or maybe just a nice curly maple and he gonna have Trampas come in and do a nice dragon's breath fade on it.

Am waiting because Les' phaser is set to stun, not kill. :eek::oops:o_O

I'd easily say that a wine rack doesn't smell bad, but looks beautiful. But I gotta ask (at risk of personal life and limb here), grilling, OTOH, does make you smell like what's cooking, but I'd hazard to say you never say that to your wife when she cooks a meal. (Waiting for other shoe...o_O)

Here's my modest sized wine rack:

8Ylng3I.jpg

And no, you can't "borrow" a bottle of wine, Les, go get your own box. :p

Haha!

Well, I have been vainly trying to convince my wife not to cook since early in our marriage many, many, many years ago, because of the all-around house/people smell/mess issues (except baking, which smells good)), but she ignores me.

What can one do? I like music, she likes cooking.

Hey, nice rack!

Usually I say that about equipment racks. Some with their minds in the gutter think I’m referring to other things.

I don’t have a wine rack, but I do have equipment racks.

Les' floor is probably that much because he's doing it in walnut, or mahogany, perhaps Brazilian Rosewood, or maybe just a nice curly maple and he gonna have Trampas come in and do a nice dragon's breath fade on it.

I was thinking plain old oak. I have no imagination, I know.

Haha!

Well, I have been vainly trying to convince my wife not to cook since early in our marriage many, many, many years ago, because of the all-around house/people smell/mess issues (except baking, which smells good)), but she ignores me.

What can one do? I like music, she likes cooking.

Hey, nice rack!

Usually I say that about equipment racks. Some with their minds in the gutter think I’m referring to other things.

I don’t have a wine rack, but I do have equipment racks.

Thanks regards the wine rack! The opposite side of the room houses my audio rack and printer, but you already knew that...:)

I did a quick Bing search this afternoon and was astounded by some folks elaborate wine cellar and racks, beautiful dark mahogany stained, or redwood...have look for yourself and you'll see...though my wine rack is modest, and wrought iron, it serves its purpose and holds 12 bottles of my preferred wines.

Les, have you ever asked your doctor if perhaps you have no childhood memories of your grandparents cooking Sunday dinner or perhaps your Mom preparing your favorite meal? Not to put you on the spot, but do you have a "favorite" meal, and if so, what is it? And is there a reason why cooking smells aren't ones your childhood memories are built on?

TBH, my maternal Gram (d. 2010) used to prepare a pork loin dinner with mashed potatoes, green beans, and gravy for Sunday dinner when she owned her old home in SE Connecticut. When she moved to her double-wide trailer, and her 104 y.o. live-in roomie passed on, she no longer cooked for us and instead we'd take her to a 1 or 2 PM lunch at a local restaurant. When Gram moved in with us in '00, Gram, never ate more than coffee for breakfast, lunch, and cheese and crackers with a SoCo Manhattan for an evening snack.

I kinda miss the Sunday dinners we had with Gram, the smell of freshly mowed grass out back, the smell of dinner and Gram clinking her maraschino cherry and ice in her glass. The sound of Grandpa yelling from the back bedroom. Us kids gathering up old bottles and cans from the street and trading them in for penny candy or a soda across the main street that went through town. Us taking walks with Grandpa down the street to the USPS dropbox and back.

Yeah, I remember the early days with Gram well, because she ingrained them into us with the smells and sounds of Sunday dinner. For that, I will forever thank her.

At my old house I had a wet bar with a refrigerated wine rack. It was fairly elaborate, considering that I didn’t really ever like wine all that much, but in the 80s when we built the house, it was kind of a thing to have. Nice for when company came over.

Also my mom didn’t cook. My grandmother didn’t, either. They employed cooks. When the cooks were off, we went out for dinner. Wonderfully civilized.

It was a different era. That lifestyle seemed normal at the time.

People had live-in housekeepers and cooks.

Your family was likely well-to-do and could afford house servants. Well to the manor born you are, Les! I don't think I'd envision you as a Downton Abbey type, but more the genteel upscale Hampton Beach type. (no, not the toaster or food processor)

Man, that sounds rough. </sarcasm>

I cook six nights a week most weeks. Plus I'm responsible for breakfasts and lunches weekday mornings for the whole family. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Same here, John. I'm usually not a morning person on weekdays, but might put together a light brunch on weekends. Always about the lunch and dinner otherwise...people have appetites that always need pacifying. Am happy to say, I was not the type of teenager who ate my parents out of house and home.

At my old house I had a wet bar with a refrigerated wine rack. It was fairly elaborate, considering that I didn’t really ever like wine all that much, but in the 80s when we built the house, it was kind of a thing to have. Nice for when company came over.

Also my mom didn’t cook. My grandmother didn’t, either. They employed cooks. When the cooks were off, we went out for dinner. Wonderfully civilized.

Our old family home had a 50's wood sliding panel dry bar my Dad built when he semi-finished the basement. (Back washer/dryer/furnace room had concrete floors and foundation walls, but was essentially unfinished). Front room was done in 50's laminate panel tacked up to studs inside the foundation, not insulated. Had some electrical around the room as well (I guess Dad subcontracted to a licensed electrician for that).

The dry bar was piece of mahogany stained/poly'd plywood over a wooden frame shelf with front sliding panels that were a PITA to open/close because they used to bind in the door tracks in warmer weather when sliding L/R. Dad thought he'd use the basement for entertaining guests in his early married years, but that never quite happened. Instead, he built some DIY bookshelves and stored his extra books / DIY library in the basement along with assorted other items on the bookshelves. Later, Dad put a bumper pool table in the basement for us kids, which we loved.

Dad never really stocked the dry bar (that was accessible to us kids), and basically kept his liquor above the main floor fridge in some mini-cabinets, out of our reach. Later in life, I was my Dad's barkeep, making Whisky Manhattans and Scotch Rusty Nails for him. As Dad's health declined, so did his liquor choices. He cut back on his alcohol intake to one drink and perhaps some Dow port before bed.

Regards my reference to my Gram's 104 y.o. roomie, when he passed away in '97, we took out of Gram's trailer home a bottle of Crown Royal that was purchased in 1984 for the old guy's 80th birthday. He kept in in the original box, unopened, until we removed it from his belongings in early '98. The unopened box/bottle sits in my living room today in 2018. So, yeah, I've got a bottle of at least 35-year-old Crown Royal, not to mention how old the distilling/aging process was...wonder how that might taste today, or if I should save it for my retirement in the future...

Your family was likely well-to-do and could afford house servants. Well to the manor born you are, Les! I don't think I'd envision you as a Downton Abbey type, but more the genteel upscale Hampton Beach type. (no, not the toaster or food processor)

Less Hugh Bonneville and more John Ramos!;)

Maybe next year when the Red Socks win the Super Bowl? 2019 is gonna be your year, man.

Trust me, the person you're speaking to is NOT a rabid sports addict. (P.S. I got the joke, but seriously...)

Only time I might tune into watching baseball or football is when I'm sitting in my recliner with absolutely nothing else to do, feet up, beer in hand, and the Sox or Patriots have previously clinched their division titles. Even then, watching the WS or SB is only for the silly commercials and yelling/groaning/cheering at the TV set. While others may scoff at such behavior, how many of us aren't doing the same, acting like idiots, when we watch the WS or SB? ;)

Back