SE Silver Sky Maple Quality Control Issues

jmsmusic

Just took delivery of a Silver Sky SE Maple in Overland Grey and I must say I am very disappointed in the QC.

9ErXNqv.jpg

At this price point, minor imperfections are to be expected. I’m not expecting core-level QC and perfection. But what I’m seeing definitely, by far, falls short of what’s expected of the SE line. I’ve also handled several Rosewood SEs that did not have any such issues.

Finish

First, the entire guitar looks like it was not buffed before shipping. It’s quite literally covered in micro scratches across the body and there are four deeper ones which I have tried to photograph on the back (but they are pretty difficult to see). I surmise these must have come from the silica gel packet that was inside the main compartment of the gig bag, together with the guitar.

csHXTKb.jpg

pqgrwKE.jpg

Videos:

I have a finish crack along the entirety of one side of the neck joint as well.

tggwhhH.jpg

On the horn, there is a spot that clearly was a blemish, and then re-done, but it seems like a different amount of paint or coat was applied over. It was also not buffed nor sanded down as you can literally feel the difference on that one spot.

V3EoYoJ.jpg

Video:

Hardware

The neck plate also has several paint chips around the screws.

TOOFCbH.jpg

Bb7HRkQ.jpg

The jack plate came pre-scratched. Granted the scratching would have occured in the course of normal use, I would have preferred to have put the wear on it myself. To top it off, it appears that the actual jack plate itself is a defective piece, there’s a cut in in the lip that seems to imply that the metal stamping process went awry.

TqAd3sb.jpg

Neck / Frets

The frets seem to be coated in some gunk / grease. Easily solved by a polish. Not a biggie.

However, the inlays are pretty terribly done. The spots for the inlays looked to have been very roughly done and then filled in. I think that can be lived with, it does not seem like the ones on the PRS site are perfect either. But my piece has literal holes between the inlay and the fretboard at the 9th, 12th, and 17th frets. I’m not sure how that passes QC.

dzKhe4y.jpg

H376q7H.jpg

gv2ZiFX.jpg

jdQMVil.jpg

58wFCAB.jpg

As for the frets, the SE Rosewoods I’ve tried all had fretwork that well surpassed the price point. However, the maple doesn’t seem to have the same quality.

No lifting frets or sharp fret ends, but there are some alarming frets which have ‘holes’ or depressions that you can feel between the fret and where it joins against the fretboard. Those frets were cut too short and subsequently some filler was added, albeit not enough to cover the whole gap. This is present on the 1st, 3rd, 6th to 12th frets, and the 17th to the 19th fret.

iIOTDLQ.jpg

YwPDySK.jpg

9DLNyPW.jpg

Nut

RkXkVtL.jpg

There is also a gap in between the nut and the fretboard, which seems to be far larger than I’m typically used to.

Conclusion

Typically, stores where I am do not have a return policy. I already know I will face some resistance asking for an exchange. However, I’m certain this piece is definitely below the QC standard one should expect a Silver Sky SE should have. I would love some input as to whether I am being too unreasonably or holding too high of an expectation of the SE. I hope I'm not being too nitpicky!

Link to all Videos / Pictures:

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect better quality than you received. I would try to get it swapped out or just return it and try buying one somewhere else if they don't want to take care of you. I wouldn't buy a guitar from a dealer that was not willing to take care of me as a customer. If you have issues, I would contact PRS and send them your pictures. They may help you get it replaced. I think at the price point of these, they can do better. I don't see them delivering other SE guitars with these types of issues. This just looks like they are rushing on these to get the orders filled since the popularity of the model caused a huge backlog of orders. I can't believe PRS would be happy seeing their customers get this level of quality for their hard earned dollar.

If the guitar was going in a display case as a future collectible well I guess I could see your point but being guitars are ment to be played and enjoyed I don’t see an issue. That being said it’s your money and your qc it has to pass not mine.

I can only see some of the photos, but to me that looks like it was purchased and returned by someone else. The bolts on the neck look a little chewed up, like someone unskilled with a screwdriver tried to remove it. That would also explain the finish crack.

I wouldn't be happy with it.

Unless you’re buying a new relic, then it’s not unreasonable to expect to receive a new guitar in close to pristine as possible. Yes, we all put wear on our guitars, but that’s our prerogative. Would you buy a new car with scuffs, scratches and paint touch-up, and accept it, just because you might be in an accident in the future, or it might get dinged in a parking lot?

I would not accept this guitar.

Where are you from? In the US I would think most dealers would easily return it back to the factory under warranty.

Located in Singapore. Truth be told I haven't 'played' it. Tuned it to pitch and strummed a couple of chords. As mentioned, not typical for dealers to offer returns so I didn't want to give any leeway or reason not for it to be done (i.e "but you've already played the guitar, we can't take it back"). I will reach out to the dealer and see what can be done.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar issues on the maple version of the SE.

Located in Singapore. Truth be told I haven't 'played' it. Tuned it to pitch and strummed a couple of chords. As mentioned, not typical for dealers to offer returns so I didn't want to give any leeway or reason not for it to be done (i.e "but you've already played the guitar, we can't take it back"). I will reach out to the dealer and see what can be done.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar issues on the maple version of the SE.
I don't own the maple version but i own two of the rosewood versions and they are both flawless.

Last edited:
I would not accept that guitar. Return it and ask for a replacement or refund. I've seen only a couple people even point out minor flaws and they only had one or two. To have multiple finish items like that is simply not acceptible. To be completely honest, after about 10 pictures I was thinking "this is a fake because I've NEVER seen this many finish flaws on one SE."

Man, I feel for you on that dealer situation. We have it much better here in the US.

I don't own nor have I been able to put hands on any of these new guitars but I have seen a number of posts like yours with pictures that show the issues. There seems to be a bit of a quality control issue going on right now. I have seen pictures of things that I have never seen coming out of the factory on PRS guitars. The posts I have seen have been resolved by contacting the dealer and either returning the guitar for a refund or getting a replacement.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy with that.

I feel horribly picky in making this spoiled person statement, but the frets alone would bug me to the point where I'd return it or travel to the US factory, show them what their offshore licensees are up to, and if I couldn't get a full refund, I'd set it on fire in front of the PRS factory in a meaningless protest! ;)

But that's for personal amusement only, I'm not really being serious.

Well, OK, maybe I really would immolate it in the factory parking lot, but no sane person would! :)

The scratches I could polish out. But why have to clean up a mess in the first place? And the fret installation...shameful. Shameful, I tell you!

I highly doubt anything on that level of awful would get out the door at the Stevensville, Maryland, factory. :eek:

Yeah, sure, I know PRS USA inspects the ones that come here, but is that also true of the ones that go to Singapore?? Doesn't appear to be.

USA PRS isn't perfect - no factory is - but they do a much better job.

I wouldn't be happy with that.

I feel horribly picky in making this spoiled person statement, but the frets alone would bug me to the point where I'd return it or travel to the US factory, show them what their offshore licensees are up to, and if I couldn't get a full refund, I'd set it on fire in front of the PRS factory in a meaningless protest! ;)

But that's for personal amusement only, I'm not really being serious.

Well, OK, maybe I really would immolate it in the factory parking lot, but no sane person would! :)

The scratches I could polish out. But why have to clean up a mess in the first place? And the fret installation...shameful. Shameful, I tell you!

I highly doubt anything on that level of awful would get out the door at the Stevensville, Maryland, factory. :eek:

Yeah, sure, I know PRS USA inspects the ones that come here, but is that also true of the ones that go to Singapore?? Doesn't appear to be.

USA PRS isn't perfect - no factory is - but they do a much better job.
I haven't seen that much crappy workmanship in a guitar in a long while.

The OP ought to send those photos to PRS.

Paul needs to see that.

I wonder if it's a fake?

Last edited:
Back