SE DGT Appalling Fretwork

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the DGT. I purchased a DGT SE tobacco burst in February. It's production date was January of 2024. The guitar is flawless. It plays and sounds great.

I think so.

I think they pre cut the frets? If so they are a little too short in length but they’re still trying to smooth them with a file leading to the damage seen.

Would love to see the fret ends on some other SE DGT’s to compare.

Would rather it looked like the Yamaha pic I posted. No binding, visible fret tang cut and shaped perfectly to match the board. But I guess this is part of the way they are driving down the cost to manufacture.
My DGT SE frets.
064-D7-F01-1228-40-D2-8973-85-BAA00-EF97-A.avif

Something seems off to me...
AFAIK, from watching PRS factory videos, they don't even crown or dress frets after fret level on core models.
You may have a point here…

From 15:50 in this PRS Indonesian factory tour they show the fret installation process. No one is shaping those fret ends with a file.

Still possible it was done at final QC as the rounding and smoothing shown in that vid was clearly not done.

I need to rewatch the Indonesia factory videos PRS did. If I remember correctly Jack makes a point of saying the way the fretwork is done is completely different than Maryland.
They do show them dressing the bevels with files at Indonesia in the older video. In the newer Maryland fret video, they show them using an "acrylic sanding block to knock down the hard edges". That's not to say they aren't dressed with a file prior to leveling.
In the older Maryland fret video "fret dress and final approval", I was kind of taken aback by their process.

IDK...all videos probably don't show the complete processes.

Regardless, you should have never received anything like what you did.

They do show them dressing the bevels with files at Indonesia in the older video. In the newer Maryland fret video, they show them using an "acrylic sanding block to knock down the hard edges". That's not to say they aren't dressed with a file prior to leveling.
In the older Maryland fret video "fret dress and final approval", I was kind of taken aback by their process.

IDK...all videos probably don't show the complete processes.

Regardless, you should have never received anything like what you did.
Was just about to post that video. Thought I’d seen them using a file at some point.

That would definitely go back. What about this dealer. The tobacco burst is £799.00.

Damn. I was just at the Birmingham store a few days ago but they were asking a lot more for the burst vs the gold top.

I’ll keep my eye on that if I have to try another dealer.

Here are my 4 SEs; all purchased since October '23. I have polished the 594SC and Custom 24 with 3200-12000 micro mesh and Wenol. Just did the 594SC today.

594SC
20240414-181948.jpg

Zach Myers
20240414-182209.jpg

Custom 24
20240414-182347.jpg

CE Satin Standard
20240414-182443.jpg
Nice!

I use a Micro Mesh polishing kit on my frets after using it for years on other projects. Not cheap but it’s good stuff!

What an absolute shame receiving an instrument in that kind of shape. Here's what I think happened...

"Hi boss, it's take your child to work day, and this is my son."

"What year in school is he?"

"Second grade."

"Mind if I interview him for a job on our production team? As you know, we're a little short-handed and we have a lot of guitars to make."

"But he's only 7 years old."

"Oh, don't worry. We have 4 year olds on our staff, and they're doing great. Just take a look at this fret installation!"

"Well, I hate to say it boss, but that looks like it was done by a 4 year old."

"Yes, but it's actually very good compared to this one, made by one of our staff two year olds. And you know the best part about hiring them that young?"

"No, what's the best part?"

"They don't need to take bathroom breaks. They go right in their diapers. Saves a lot of man-hours. They're very productive. The only issue is the tantrums, but when that happens we just drug them up with whatever we have on hand."

What an absolute shame receiving an instrument in that kind of shape. Here's what I think happened...

"Hi boss, it's take your child to work day, and this is my son."

"What year in school is he?"

"Second grade."

"Mind if I interview him for a job on our production team? As you know, we're a little short-handed and we have a lot of guitars to make."

"But he's only 7 years old."

"Oh, don't worry. We have 4 year olds on our staff, and they're doing great. Just take a look at this fret installation!"

"Well, I hate to say it boss, but that looks like it was done by a 4 year old."

"Yes, but it's actually very good compared to this one, made by one of our staff two year olds. And you know the best part about hiring them that young?"

"No, what's the best part?"

"They don't need to take bathroom breaks. They go right in their diapers. Saves a lot of man-hours. They're very productive. The only issue is the tantrums, but when that happens we just drug them up with whatever we have on hand."
Pakastanis?

That's the joke...
You really can't knock them for trying to make a living. Sure, this is not a Martin, Santa Cruz or PRS plant, but these guys do show a lot of skill and ingenuity with the resources they have. I commend them. They'd probably be working in the PRS factory if they lived in MD. ;)

(but I do get your joke :))

I think there has been an obvious problem, maybe just from a batch of guitars (wood), an issue with humidity/drying.

The images uploaded of the poor fretwork, fretboard finishing was sad to see.

I really hope this is something that PRS are already dealing with. Knowing the smart company that they are, I’m sure it’s under review already.

You really can't knock them for trying to make a living. Sure, this is not a Martin, Santa Cruz or PRS plant, but these guys do show a lot of skill and ingenuity with the resources they have. I commend them. They'd probably be working in the PRS factory if they lived in MD. ;)

(but I do get your joke :))
I asked, "Pakastani?", in the thread that video was originally posted in. My only frame of reference for similar work, were videos of Pakistani 'gunsmiths'.
I have no problem with a man/woman trying to earn an honest living...beats being a terrorist or scammer.

Back