SE Silver Sky Maple Quality Control Issues

Its sad to see this issues, but not surprised at all. Similar things happened when the original rosewood SE was introduced.

Fortunately my SS SE rosewood came in perfect, the frets specially they are as polished as Suhr stainless steel ones and feel like so. Lucky strike I guess.

Do you think all dealers actually open all the boxes, or just ship to the customer from stock when fulfilling an order? I suspect most don’t check first.
Reputable ones should. Ideally they all go on a table and get a once over. Maybe not with the in house luthier, but at least the experienced sales tech/reps that check the guitars are in tune.

Update, the dealer has responded with a query as to why I only raised the issues on Thursday (when I emailed them) as the guitar was delivered monday... Answered their question and am waiting on a substantive response.

Still waiting on PRS CS for a response.

Update, the dealer has responded with a query as to why I only raised the issues on Thursday (when I emailed them) as the guitar was delivered monday... Answered their question and am waiting on a substantive response.

Still waiting on PRS CS for a response.
Kind of a BS response from the dealer - that's only 3 days, it's not like you had it for weeks and suddenly started complaining. Hopefully they're more helpful going forward...

Agree, but I don't think it would have helped for me to respond angrily there. Waiting to see what the substantive response from them is. Essentially explained that I was busy at work, and that Wednesday was the first day I had breathing room to even open it up. Thankfully, I filmed myself unboxing the guitar (with the intention of turning it into a youtube video) so there are timestamps and video footage of my confused face looking at the guitar that came out of the box lol.

Agree, but I don't think it would have helped for me to respond angrily there. Waiting to see what the substantive response from them is. Essentially explained that I was busy at work, and that Wednesday was the first day I had breathing room to even open it up. Thankfully, I filmed myself unboxing the guitar (with the intention of turning it into a youtube video) so there are timestamps and video footage of my confused face looking at the guitar that came out of the box lol.
Did you pay by credit card? If they give you a hard time and won't take it back you can always contest the payment. Or threaten to if this escalates. Keep all of your correspondence in case you need it.

I can only see some of the photos, but to me that looks like it was purchased and returned by someone else. The bolts on the neck look a little chewed up, like someone unskilled with a screwdriver tried to remove it. That would also explain the finish crack.

I wouldn't be happy with it.

I was thinking it was a “return”.

That misalignment of the bridge/neck is a sorry sight.

I checked Andertons (hi-res) pics. The models they’re advertising have similarly finished inlays. Probably not as easy to disguise on a maple fretboard at that price point.

However the fret ends are saddening to see.

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

So the dealer responded and offered an exchange - there are 3 units available. Unfortunately it seems like the issues with the inlays are widespread and all of them have it. The holes at the fret ends are also all present. The finish on all also looks like there are scratches on each.

I'm not inclined to take any of them.

Very disappointed in the QC for these. No response from PRS CS yet. I would just like confirmation at this point if this is 'acceptable' QC wise. If so, then I would prefer to opt for a refund if possible, and just pick up something else.

I did end up taking a refund. However, the unfortunate thing is that I purchased some gift cards to buy the guitar (I had some promotional offer for those) so the discounts stacked. But of course this now means I'm stuck with gift cards and need to find something else to spend the money on.

PRS did reply, but did not address my queries relating to the QC issues. They just wanted to know if I had been in touch with the dealer and after hearing that I did the return, I did not hear back from them any further.

Came across this video today, glad someone got a good piece. Sounds fantastic!

Sorry you didn’t end up with the guitar you wanted and expected to get. Maybe the dealer has more on order that will be of better quality when they arrive.

Its sad to see this issues, but not surprised at all. Similar things happened when the original rosewood SE was introduced.

Fortunately my SS SE rosewood came in perfect, the frets specially they are as polished as Suhr stainless steel ones and feel like so. Lucky strike I guess.
My SE Silver Skys are flawless. I've never seen one like the OP's with so many problems.

Never.

I suspect that there's something up with that one!

I suspect that guitar has a story that hasn't been told.

But the OP got his money back.

Now that guitar ought to be sawn into pieces so some poor kid doesn't end up with it and think all PRS SE's are crap.

Last edited:
I love the SE series. Have a half dozen. That would be returned in a hurry if it were mine. I just looked at the PRS SE Silver Sky maple today. The minute I saw the bird inlays, red flag. They look like forgeries!

The fact that there were several with those issues makes me think it was a sub-par batch.

Back