Renovations, Repairs & Rebuilds...You Choose

Was speaking with my landlord (no, not landshark...:rolleyes:) earlier today who gave me a bit of bad news...seems that according to the property's insurance policy, my Weber Charcoal Grill is in violation of fire safety hazards (apparently, this was not written into the lease agreement, but was underwritten in a previously undisclosed policy only management was aware of, and insurance inspectors who asses the property every several years would cite me for being in violation).

Well, doesn't that just make my day. No problem, off to FB Marketplace and local FB yard sale groups. And doncha know, within 2 hours, the charcoal grill and extras sold.

The weird part is that propane gas grills are allowed, but open flame charcoal grills are not. Time to find a decent wood chip smoker box for the gas grill, I'd say. This is kind of a bit of reverse karma...wasn't sure all of my storage unit items would fit into the new storage shed (in transit and to be completed in the next several weeks) and divesting myself of several bags of charcoal and wood chunks will ease the space constraints.

Anyway, the charcoal grill and extras are sold pending pick up Friday. Less clutter on the patio will be so much easier to take than previously...

Was speaking with my landlord (no, not landshark...:rolleyes:) earlier today who gave me a bit of bad news...seems that according to the property's insurance policy, my Weber Charcoal Grill is in violation of fire safety hazards (apparently, this was not written into the lease agreement, but was underwritten in a previously undisclosed policy only management was aware of, and insurance inspectors who asses the property every several years would cite me for being in violation).

Well, doesn't that just make my day. No problem, off to FB Marketplace and local FB yard sale groups. And doncha know, within 2 hours, the charcoal grill and extras sold.

The weird part is that propane gas grills are allowed, but open flame charcoal grills are not. Time to find a decent wood chip smoker box for the gas grill, I'd say. This is kind of a bit of reverse karma...wasn't sure all of my storage unit items would fit into the new storage shed (in transit and to be completed in the next several weeks) and divesting myself of several bags of charcoal and wood chunks will ease the space constraints.

Anyway, the charcoal grill and extras are sold pending pick up Friday. Less clutter on the patio will be so much easier to take than previously...

Yep, Home Owners Association rules, and such. No open flame at multi family dwellings. I get it. Wooden decks, etc, etc. I have a gas grill and a pellet grill that both pass HOA rules/restrictions. Glad to hear you got your charcoal stuff sold in short order.

Yep, Home Owners Association rules, and such. No open flame at multi family dwellings. I get it. Wooden decks, etc, etc. I have a gas grill and a pellet grill that both pass HOA rules/restrictions. Glad to hear you got your charcoal stuff sold in short order.

Thanks. A young couple is scheduled to pick up the Weber tomorrow morning about 10 AM, so I need to call this an early evening and be awake early Friday morning.

FTR, it was the apartment insurance policy, not the HOA rules. We live on single floor units attached to one another with dividing fences between the backyards. What wasn't written into the lease agreement was a verbal "no can do" from the landlord when questioned about my outdoor shed build and what existed in the backyard. Apparently, the landlord has the right to deny ownership of items that could be determined to be hazardous, including weapons, drug paraphernalia, of something else that could endanger apartment dwellers (open-flame charcoal grills, included)

My original question to the landlord was, "What are the rules about smoking on the premises?" That conversation backtracked to drugs, bombs, weapons and open-flame items. I likely screwed up when I said, "So smoking a brisket isn't allowed?" (Nope, charcoal is forbidden, according to apartment insurance policy.)

Anyway, I've ordered a wood chips smoker box for my propane grill and am downsizing the Weber charcoal grill. Yeah, propane will cost more, though I'd prefer to just keep something that won't irritate the landlord nor risk personal life nor property.

Very pleasant middle aged man just picked up my Weber Performer Grill plus amenities this morning...wasn't quite sure I had the right guy whose wife had contacted me via FB Marketplace...twas determined that my address had not been handed out to anyone else, so, the man was the correct person after a quick peek at his driver's license. (In order to match driver's license with PayPal payment name). Still wasn't sure, but he seemed to be the husband of the woman who had contacted me via FB. Will check FB later today to corroborate, and to look in on the wife; hope all is well...

EDIT: Well, something got screwed up. Apparently, one couple whom had contacted me via FB Marketplace had not decided on buying the grill, so I just moved on down the line. Then, within 2 hours of originally posting the grill, my email had indicated that the grill had been paid for, so I changed the FB listing to SOLD, and thanked all interested parties.

I had thought that the young couple I had moved on to was the couple that paid for the grill, and gave them my address and phone. Turns out, it was the original couple who had said they could pick up the grill today that had paid. FTR, I don't recall handing out my address or phone to the first couple, but they found me somehow. (Maybe I did provide my contact info...?)

Needless to say, it was somewhat of an embarrassment to the 2nd couple regards the sale. I think they had their heart set on buying my grill, but balked once the item listing was changed to SOLD.

Outdoor shed build is scheduled for Sunday noontime.

Visited Home Depot Wednesday evening (during rainy, just before dusk, rush hour traffic) and picked out some 2x6 lumber as well as 1x6 decking material for the base foundation. Darned if their website said they had plenty 12-foot 2x6, but measurements in-store were 10-foot. Was necessary to purchase 8-footers instead. Also did a quick calculation and saw that their composite decking material was twice the cost of standard 1x6. Well, then, 16-foot 1x6 could easily be cut into 8-foot pieces that would fit into my hatchback, so that was the decision. The lumber fit into my car's lift gate and stacked together, but was precariously wedged up against my front windshield.

Trip home was a bit scary, was worried that the stack of lumber might tip over onto both me and my steering column, so it was a bit of a chore trying to keep my right arm up against the stack and shift gears at traffic lights. Finally arrived home safely, none the worse for wear, and unloaded the car.

My younger subcontractor/carpenter brother and one other friend from my congregation will assist with the foundation and structural assembly. My brother will likely be in charge of finish-cutting lumber to size, and my friend and I will likely assemble the foundation frame and structure with my brother's oversight, being sure safety guidelines are followed, and the build proceeds according to my brother's and manufacturer's instructions.

Could use some prayers that weather cooperates and expected late-afternoon t-storms hold off until after project completion.

Outdoor shed build is scheduled for Sunday noontime.

Visited Home Depot Wednesday evening (during rainy, just before dusk, rush hour traffic) and picked out some 2x6 lumber as well as 1x6 decking material for the base foundation. Darned if their website said they had plenty 12-foot 2x6, but measurements in-store were 10-foot. Was necessary to purchase 8-footers instead. Also did a quick calculation and saw that their composite decking material was twice the cost of standard 1x6. Well, then, 16-foot 1x6 could easily be cut into 8-foot pieces that would fit into my hatchback, so that was the decision. The lumber fit into my car's lift gate and stacked together, but was precariously wedged up against my front windshield.

Trip home was a bit scary, was worried that the stack of lumber might tip over onto both me and my steering column, so it was a bit of a chore trying to keep my right arm up against the stack and shift gears at traffic lights. Finally arrived home safely, none the worse for wear, and unloaded the car.

My younger subcontractor/carpenter brother and one other friend from my congregation will assist with the foundation and structural assembly. My brother will likely be in charge of finish-cutting lumber to size, and my friend and I will likely assemble the foundation frame and structure with my brother's oversight, being sure safety guidelines are followed, and the build proceeds according to my brother's and manufacturer's instructions.

Could use some prayers that weather cooperates and expected late-afternoon t-storms hold off until after project completion.

Best of luck with the project

Best of luck with the project

Thanks, we'll need the good weather. Latest forecast indicates 5PM Sunday afternoon t-storms blowing through our region. Will likely need to contact my brother and ask if he could arrive earlier in the day to begin project rather than at noon.

Thanks, we'll need the good weather. Latest forecast indicates 5PM Sunday afternoon t-storms blowing through our region. Will likely need to contact my brother and ask if he could arrive earlier in the day to begin project rather than at noon.

Yeah, we’ve have lots of rain lately and let me tell you, carpentry in the rain is not fun, especially when you’re trying to use a chop saw and a router table!

Hope you get your work done.

No pet projects here other than vacuuming periodically and walking my dog every day. I barely know a wrench from a screw driver. When something needs to get done around our house, I stimulate the local economy (translation - I hire someone to do it).
With that said, I am getting tired of taking tube amps to a repair shop, so I am committed to learning how to change out tubes myself. anyone here know of a good Youtube video to watch on this topic?

No pet projects here other than vacuuming periodically and walking my dog every day. I barely know a wrench from a screw driver. When something needs to get done around our house, I stimulate the local economy (translation - I hire someone to do it).
With that said, I am getting tired of taking tube amps to a repair shop, so I am committed to learning how to change out tubes myself. anyone here know of a good Youtube video to watch on this topic?

There’s several, take your pick.

Yeah, we’ve have lots of rain lately and let me tell you, carpentry in the rain is not fun, especially when you’re trying to use a chop saw and a router table! Hope you get your work done.

Will be giving my bro a call in about 10 minutes; he's busy today getting party plans put together for both himself and his exchange student who lives with his family. Might try to begin work earlier Sunday morning (once awake and coffee has worked its magic...)

You could try what I did for my Fuchs ODS-50...I contacted the owner of the company and asked him if there was instructions for biasing tubes in his amps...Andy Fuchs kindly sent back a detailed email and provided a PDF copy of tube biasing instructions. You might try the same thing with your amp and speak to customer service who could direct you to the correct information...

Regards stimulating the local economy....LOL! Every time I fill out a Home Depot survey, the survey always asks..."Are you a DIY person, do you ask a pro to help, or are you a pro subcontractor...?" Every time, same answer...ask a pro to help...

Yeah, we’ve have lots of rain lately and let me tell you, carpentry in the rain is not fun, especially when you’re trying to use a chop saw and a router table!

Hope you get your work done.

Well, my worry did not return itself in bad weather today. Woo-hoo!

Brother arrived 10:50 AM and set up his miter chop saw on the tailgate of his truck. Several minutes later, young bro had 2x6's cut to size with bracing joists, and formed the foundation frame base with some composite square head 3" deck screws. Then, used his miter saw on the 5/4x6" deck lumber, squared and cut to measured 31-½". To prevent from unnecessarily needing to rip a length of deck material to accommodate the remaining ~ 4" space that would have filled in the 51-½" width, my brother simply used a deck screw to space the deck lumber the screw width apart between each 31-½" length. That allowed for any expansion or contraction of the deck material, while still providing a solid surface onto which the shed base would be lag-screwed.

It was about 12 noon. The shed contents were unboxed and materials taken account of. This is the weird part. The shed base was lag-screwed to the deck frame. The sides and back went up in under 15 minutes. In another 25 minutes we had the door hinges hardware, locking tab, and completed doors were added to the shed. Immediately after that, the metal strip that served as the stop bar for the door fronts. Then, the locking fasteners that held the back of the roof on. Then, 10 minutes, the metal roof pins secured to the roof that attached to the sides of the shed.

Lastly, the door handles, and we were done, save for clean-up and tossing of packing plastic and cardboard. I think we finished by about 2 PM altogether today, far ahead of any incoming inclement weather. My seasonal stuff and other items now have their own dedicated place safely stored instead of being left exposed in the outdoor weather. Looks much nicer, too. Although it's dark out now, but will post a pic tomorrow when daylight returns.

My bro refused payment for his services, though there will be ways we'll balance out the favor somewhere down the road. I've already a few ideas, though they may need some adjustments per my bro's wife's say-so. (Will be for a family endeavor since it was my bro's time, effort and energy expended away from his family.) Maybe something that will help them with their grocery bill this month, maybe a gas gift card for his truck. We'll see.

Last edited:
EDIT: Here's a completed pic of the shed as of this morning. My brother's help was much appreciated regards this...

FunSssg.jpg

Looking good!!

Thanks, Serg. There was some palpable anxiety before and after completing this project...1), the worry t-storms would have postponed the build, and 2) when my congregation buddy arrived and needed to change out of his meeting clothes into work clothes, he was surprised to see that the shed had already been completed far ahead of schedule, so why was he needed?

The answer was, we needed a 2nd person to help carry one of the old smaller storage containers (deck box sized) up a ways to another family member's apartment. This took all of 20 minutes, and my buddy and I enjoyed dinner even though my buddy had not really done much except assist with the smaller storage unit.

As it was, both my brother and I worked quickly while assembling the shed. Only remaining glitch is the possible lower front door hinge that seems to pop out of its position when opened several times. Will contact customer service to determine what solution could be possible.

When something needs to get done around our house, I stimulate the local economy (translation - I hire someone to do it).

Hah! I just got off the phone doing that very thing for some repairs around here.

Nice! It's cool that you place lets you do that.

It was actually 2 years in the planning/building process. In late 2017, apartment ownership approved either of 2 designs, one a shorter height, same width/depth dimensions, the other, the one in the above image. The taller allows for an inside shelf that will allow me to store my empty ceramic planters during the off-season, much like a closet shelf allows shoes, hats, etc.

Apartment property management was apprised of the approval with the apartment ownership within the same breath. Property management was busy in 2018 taking over management duties and overseeing apartment complex renovations that year. This was the reason for the shed build delay last year; renovations inspections completed the 1st week of January '19 and it was too late/cold to begin with outdoor projects then.

I had promised to contact apartment ownership once the project had been completed, though I'll likely wait until a set of replacement front door hinges can be retro-fitted because of a defect in one of the hinges. The direct operator from the shed company was more than happy to field my call and send out a replacement set of of corrected hinges, because she had heard of this problem occurring before with their design...the hinges were "too big" (her words) and would pop out of the lowest hinge pin groove location when the front left door was opened several times. It was likely because of the weight of the front door sliding downwards on the lowest hinge pin groove.

I'd guess that the shed was a trade-off for losing the charcoal grill because of apartment insurance policy. At least the propane grill can remain, and is currently in use for some BBQ Bacon Chicken Bombs. Using some apple and cherry wood chips, dinner for family will be ready in about an hour & 15 minutes...

Back