Renovations, Repairs & Rebuilds...You Choose

I’m often doing studio repairs, but it’s rarely the gear. It’s mainly experimenting with acoustical treatment and artwork. So I do a lot of spackling and touch-up on the walls.

The main problem is that I hate the carpet and need to replace it, even though it’s in great shape. Every time I think of blowing 4 grand to do it, though, I think, “I could get a nice guitar/amp/mic/etc. for that!”

So instead of just redoing the floor, I keep trying to make the existing room look nice by moving stuff around; which, let’s face it, is putting lipstick on a pig. No one said I was sane.

Understood. I think the meat and potatoes of any studio is recognizing the subtle nuances of a room. If your walls are nice (do they insulate well?) and adequately do what they need to do regards acoustics, this may be the focus of your room. Flooring is another story. I personally have an industrial-grade high-traffic long-lasting, low-nap patterned brownish wall-to-wall carpet, covered partially with a nice faux East Indian area rug. Regards acoustical quality, um, likely not industry or studio standard. The room itself has plenty of furniture and decor, as well as window treatments that might serve as bass traps, though not "bass traps" in the traditional sense. I'm sure I could do better, but cannot afford a quality home studio like other musicians could.

However, to help you solve your carpet issue, check with a good flooring retailer and bring home some pattern and color swatches to check what would look good with your room. Take your time with the swatches, and ask your wife how she feels. (While this is your room, she may have some valuable input as to what might work with the room)

FTR, my room is mostly earth and sun tones, with browns, light yellow walls, tan, green, blue, grey and black. Nothing overly vibrant or bright, like a bright pink or red. Perhaps some color accents, nothing too overt.

Les, while you may find your wallet might be lighter after you put new carpeting in, you'll at least be happier with your workspace. Nothing worse than being unhappy though simply reorganizing or rearranging things proves a temporary fix for the interim.

Understood. I think the meat and potatoes of any studio is recognizing the subtle nuances of a room. If your walls are nice (do they insulate well?) and adequately do what they need to do regards acoustics, this may be the focus of your room. Flooring is another story. I personally have an industrial-grade high-traffic long-lasting, low-nap patterned brownish wall-to-wall carpet, covered partially with a nice faux East Indian area rug. Regards acoustical quality, um, likely not industry or studio standard. The room itself has plenty of furniture and decor, as well as window treatments that might serve as bass traps, though not "bass traps" in the traditional sense. I'm sure I could do better, but cannot afford a quality home studio like other musicians could.

However, to help you solve your carpet issue, check with a good flooring retailer and bring home some pattern and color swatches to check what would look good with your room. Take your time with the swatches, and ask your wife how she feels. (While this is your room, she may have some valuable input as to what might work with the room)

FTR, my room is mostly earth and sun tones, with browns, light yellow walls, tan, green, blue, grey and black. Nothing overly vibrant or bright, like a bright pink or red. Perhaps some color accents, nothing too overt.

Les, while you may find your wallet might be lighter after you put new carpeting in, you'll at least be happier with your workspace. Nothing worse than being unhappy though simply reorganizing or rearranging things proves a temporary fix for the interim.

I’ve done the homework, visited the store, gotten the swatches/samples, picked stuff out and gotten prices. The carpet doesn’t need replacing, it’s in great shape, it’s an aesthetic madness!

What I am likely to do is go with wood flooring, because wood floors/area rugs are more my thing.

So it’s partly that it’s a few kilobucks, and it’s also dismantling everything in the room for the installation, and sawdust, and blah blah blah that’s meant I’ve put it off for over a year. But...yeah, I’m getting closer to doing it because I’m really unhappy with the look of the room.

The other part of the equation is that I’m considering having the drop ceiling replaced with drywall (despite originally having acoustical ceiling tiles installed when I moved in) and again, that’s more a looks thing than anything else. I’m still pondering that.

I’ve done the homework, visited the store, gotten the swatches/samples, picked stuff out and gotten prices. The carpet doesn’t need replacing, it’s in great shape, it’s an aesthetic madness!

What I am likely to do is go with wood flooring, because wood floors/area rugs are more my thing.

So it’s partly that it’s a few kilobucks, and it’s also dismantling everything in the room for the installation, and sawdust, and blah blah blah that’s meant I’ve put it off for over a year. But...yeah, I’m getting closer to doing it because I’m really unhappy with the look of the room.

The other part of the equation is that I’m considering having the drop ceiling replaced with drywall (despite originally having acoustical ceiling tiles installed when I moved in) and again, that’s more a looks thing than anything else. I’m still pondering that.

Make sure you get the cabinets done at the same time!

Yeah, nothing like hardwood or laminate flooring. Am the kind that leans toward area rugs as my prefs, anyway. Would like to do something with my butcher's block cart (perhaps some linseed oil?) to revitalize the finish. The block is used primarily as a staging area for prepping and serving dinner, would like to season the block so the oak wood grain stands out, instead of the stains on it. (Probably some orbital sanding, tackcloth and linseed oiled rag). While the block isn't used for chopping as much, (I've got other work surfaces for that), it is a nice place to stage dinner and store containers underneath.

Still have not worked out the logistics about repairing my computer chair...had to remove the mending plate because the screw that held the seat front in place was too short (can't be replaced) and the seat still tilts to one side with the mending plate in position. May forego the chair repair and simply try to sit up straighter and not lean back while typing or using the mouse.

For a belated Cinco de Mayo, I was hoping to try something Caribbean (Cuban Arroz Con Pollo [ Rice & Chicken]), so while my chicken browns, am typing currently. May try a rum drink later on to supplement the meal.

Last edited:
Yeah, nothing like hardwood or laminate flooring. Am the kind that leans toward area rugs as my prefs, anyway. Would like to do something with my butcher's block cart (perhaps some linseed oil?) to revitalize the finish. The block is used primarily as a staging area for prepping and serving dinner, would like to season the block so the oak wood grain stands out, instead of the stains on it. (Probably some orbital sanding, tackcloth and linseed oiled rag). While the block isn't used for chopping as much, (I've got other work surfaces for that), it is a nice place to stage dinner and store containers underneath.

Still have not worked out the logistics about repairing my computer chair...had to remove the mending plate because the screw that held the seat front in place was too short (can't be replaced) and the seat still tilts to one side with the mending plate in position. May forego the chair repair and simply try to sit up straighter and not lean back while typing or using the mouse.

For a belated Cinco de Mayo, I was hoping to try something Caribbean (Cuban Arroz Con Pollo [ Rice & Chicken]), so while my chicken browns, am typing currently. May try a rum drink later on to supplement the meal.

I used to use boiled linseed oil on the butcher’s block insert in the counter in my old house. Worked great.

On the chair thing, I’d just buy a new chair.

Coincidence: My wife made incredible shredded chicken burritos with fresh cilantro, fresh peppers, a terrific salsa, and guacamole for dinner tonight! It was as good as Xoco, my new favorite Mexican restaurant when we visit Chicago to see our daughters. But I had a Hendricks Gin martini (not my usual Monkey 47).

I’m very bad at cooking. Very bad. I don’t even want to learn how to do it, it’s too messy.

You should definitely go for the new flooring sooner rather than later. Yes, a new axe is going to give you that rush, and you will enjoy it off and on indefinitely, but you are going to be looking at that floor any time you are in there working. There's nothing quite like having an inspiring beautiful space.

Not that I have one, but am definitely making plans to have a better space for music.

red velvet curtains just like the muppet show.

You should definitely go for the new flooring sooner rather than later. Yes, a new axe is going to give you that rush, and you will enjoy it off and on indefinitely, but you are going to be looking at that floor any time you are in there working. There's nothing quite like having an inspiring beautiful space.

Not that I have one, but am definitely making plans to have a better space for music.

I think you're right on.

red velvet curtains just like the muppet show.

Yeah, it'll be decorated just like this...and hey, music room!

I used to use boiled linseed oil on the butcher’s block insert in the counter in my old house. Worked great.

On the chair thing, I’d just buy a new chair.

I think I've got some Homer Formby's stashed away somewhere that was used when first moving into this apartment.

Was able to swap my study room chair for the living room one. Smaller armrests, but sturdier seat. Will use the living room chair in the study room where I'd likely be leaning forward to write, pay bills, or read somewhat perched forward.

Coincidence: My wife made incredible shredded chicken burritos with fresh cilantro, fresh peppers, a terrific salsa, and guacamole for dinner tonight! It was as good as Xoco, my new favorite Mexican restaurant when we visit Chicago to see our daughters. But I had a Hendricks Gin martini (not my usual Monkey 47).

I’m very bad at cooking. Very bad. I don’t even want to learn how to do it, it’s too messy.

If you know how to handle fire, operate an outdoor grill, or smoke meat, you're halfway there. Every red-blooded male typically enjoys cooking outdoors, especially during warm evenings with cool breezes wafting over their patio/deck.

Learning how to cook should be a life skill: some recipes you can copy from online sources, some recipes you can "borrow" from watching cooking shows, and if the mood strikes, you can read a variety of recipes from library books or invest in your own library of recipes.

My Dad voraciously collected newspaper clippings or recipes every week or so from our local newspaper and various magazines we subscribed to. Our local grocer offers their own monthly recipe magazine free-of-charge.

The first recipe I ever learned to cook was "Sullivan's Island Shrimp Bog,' that my Mom presented me with the year my Dad passed. Mom felt that with her being away most of the time during the day, cooking for the family would be something we might both benefit from. At first it was a chore, then a challenge, then a pleasure. The Sullivan's Island recipe holds its own special place in my small 3x5 card file that is home to some of my Gram and Dad's recipes.

Gradually, cooking in various scenarios became a way of life for me. Sometimes while sitting in my own room I'd imagine grilling outdoors, or BBQ smoking a brisket, or being indoors and chopping onions while putting a grilled chicken or steak salad together. Other times it would be visualizing myself at a bar and grill across town, cooking up meals for guests who visited the place. (An active imagination is sometimes a healthy thing.)

Regards messy, if one follows safe food handling procedures and cleans up afterwards (instead of letting dirty dishes sit in the sink overnight), their chances of being sickened by improperly handled or cooked food is decreased significantly. Especially as warmer weather makes its way toward early summer, one should know the rules of food safety (Chief of the Food Police speaking here). Seriously, your home kitchen doesn't need to have a restaurant inspection rating, but every family should strive to keep their kitchen clean and free of anything that could cause sickness. (Kitchen cleaning solutions and sink cleaners under the sink not withstanding in supervised homes)

Think of it, Les, what if someday your wife caught a cold or needed someone to cook for her. Could you do it? Not wishing it on you, but it will happen someday. Could you make a batch of homemade chicken & rice soup? Nothing fancy, just something basic. Might you wish to impress your wife on her anniversary with a home cooked meal you cooked by yourself? These are the first steps towards entertaining your family (and guests, eventually) as you "widen out" socially.

I think you'd be a wonderful host to guests who are close friends of yours. And instead of being inept in the kitchen because you think it's too messy, your wife might well praise your efforts, and you could grow stronger together as a family. Think of it as a learning experience, and your wife would be a good one to teach you. :)

Think of it, Les, what if someday your wife caught a cold or needed someone to cook for her. Could you do it?

Not unless she wants microwaved popcorn.

But I know 100% how to order deliveries from restaurants! :)

As to the other stuff, we usually hire a caterer when entertaining, unless it’s just a small family gathering. That way my wife and I can mingle with guests instead of deal with food and serving. And I’m off the BBQ hook because the fire code doesn’t allow it at my condo.

Totally covered here, bro!

PS Dishes never, ever sit in my sink. I hate messes and pitch in.

Not unless she wants microwaved popcorn.

But I know 100% how to order deliveries from restaurants! :)

As to the other stuff, we usually hire a caterer when entertaining, unless it’s just a small family gathering. That way my wife and I can mingle with guests instead of deal with food and serving. And I’m off the BBQ hook because the fire code doesn’t allow it at my condo.

Totally covered here, bro!

PS Dishes never, ever sit in my sink. I hate messes and pitch in.

Understood. Sorry to hear you can't grill outdoors. Do you know how to at least uncork a bottle of wine? Or carve / serve a lasagna?

Understood. Sorry to hear you can't grill outdoors. Do you know how to at least uncork a bottle of wine? Or carve / serve a lasagna?

Gosh I’m not sorry I can’t grill. I hate coming in after grilling smelling like smoke and grease!

I do great at uncorking. Less great at lasagna serving, though I’m a little too experienced at eating it. :(

Gosh I’m not sorry I can’t grill. I hate coming in after grilling smelling like smoke and grease!

I do great at uncorking. Less great at lasagna serving, though I’m a little too experienced at eating it. :(

Wood smoke is nothing to be ashamed of, it denotes an outdoorsy type, or someone who likes their fireplace during colder months of the year. One of my assignments for next week is making a sautéed chicken salad for some of our local friends who are gathering for a meeting, and they needed some of us to make or serve food for them (since there aren't facilities where they could make their own meals, and only the people meeting who'd need to set up tables and serve food)

four grand!? how big is your studio? I could do my whole ground floor for that.
It’s only 33’ x 14.5’, but there’s also stairs going down to it that need to match.

And hey, I like nice stuff! (Shrug).

My whole 1st floor, stairs, and upstairs landing was $7500 for real solid oak, and that included stain and poly.

I’d get a second quote.

Not a matter of shame. A matter of stench.

I'd easily say that a wine rack doesn't smell bad, but looks beautiful. But I gotta ask (at risk of personal life and limb here), grilling, OTOH, does make you smell like what's cooking, but I'd hazard to say you never say that to your wife when she cooks a meal. (Waiting for other shoe...o_O)

Here's my modest sized wine rack:

8Ylng3I.jpg

And no, you can't "borrow" a bottle of wine, Les, go get your own box. :p

Back