Renovations, Repairs & Rebuilds...You Choose

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
So my computer chair I was sitting in whose upper seat tilts way the h*ck back because there isn't anything from preventing it from doing so. Therefore, thinking I might try perhaps a couple pieces of cut paint stirrers, I also picked up some room color paint, a bristle brush, and spackle for filling nail holes. Tried to find the closest yellow paint there was, a tub o' margarine yellow color.

Anyway, the paint stirrer lasted about a half hour then broke, so I thought, what if a piece of metal plate the same thickness and dimensions as the 5" piece of paint stirrer...?

Walked back over to the hardware store and found some "mending plate" that was the correct size ($1.49). Returned home, attached the metal piece to the adjustable chair height screw, and now my computer chair sits just fine without tilting way back.

Also took some time this evening before 10 PM filling the nail holes where my coax antenna cable had (unsuccessfully) been tacked up with coax clips in my room, but was scrapped because the position on the original wall had the best reception. Early tomorrow I hope to put some touch-up paint over the spackle (may not even need sanding, but will check) and try to feather the touch-up paint so as to blend with the room paint.

These were my small household projects I found time to work with today. How about you folks, are you This Old House fans who also find home projects to do? Also, if perhaps you have any guitar RR&R you are spending time on, please add yours.

Last edited:
We are finally getting started on our patio. Its going g to be 24x24 on the back side of the house.

I have an ash tree in the front yard that needs to come down in order to make room for the pump truck that will move concrete up and over the house to reach the area in the back.

My brother and I own a 40 foot telescoping lift together so I'll use that to take the tree down.

Last year I busted up the forks on my skid loader trying g to dig out a stump at my dad's so my son and I spent all day Saturday building a new fork assembly. Got that done and also fabbed up some brackets to hang weights on the back of my machine. Will need this for tree cleanup.

Just got to get weather to cooperate!

...My brother and I own a 40 foot telescoping lift together so I'll use that to take the tree down.

Last year I busted up the forks on my skid loader trying g to dig out a stump at my dad's so my son and I spent all day Saturday building a new fork assembly. Got that done and also fabbed up some brackets to hang weights on the back of my machine. Will need this for tree cleanup...

Cool. Please be careful with that lift (someone locally was using a lift and had to inflate his tires on his truck that was carrying the lift...when the guy returned, the lift fell off his truck, onto him, crushing the guy to death.) Please don't be the next guy with the same problem...:eek:

And if you're wearing hearing protection, please be sure you're aware of your surroundings...!

We are finally getting started on our patio. Its going g to be 24x24 on the back side of the house.

I have an ash tree in the front yard that needs to come down in order to make room for the pump truck that will move concrete up and over the house to reach the area in the back.

My brother and I own a 40 foot telescoping lift together so I'll use that to take the tree down.

Last year I busted up the forks on my skid loader trying g to dig out a stump at my dad's so my son and I spent all day Saturday building a new fork assembly. Got that done and also fabbed up some brackets to hang weights on the back of my machine. Will need this for tree cleanup.

Just got to get weather to cooperate!

Man, I can think of better things to do on a Satuday! ;)

Man, I can think of better things to do on a Satuday! ;)

Same here, but most householders take care their lawns, yards and houses on days when they are able. If the breadwinner works a full week, he has less time on weekends to spend on less important things, so Sunday meeting & home improvement usually tops the list on weekends here.

That being said, was able to do paint touch-up around the walls, ceilings and trim. Doesn't look too mismatched, but will fade with time and blend in nicely. Also cleaned out my charcoal grill of ashes and scrubbed the grill grates clean. Next up, seasoning a small (but hugely thick) hunk of ribeye for dinner with a couple pieces of corn-on-the-cob.

I've pondered over this question a couple times today and wondered if the corn would be best parboiled then chargrilled...? What do you think?

Thanks for your concerns. I do not cut corners. I’ve worked maintenance service tech for years and grew up working in a farm.

I’ve got a lot to live for so I’m ALWAYS careful.

Emerald ash borer has hit our area so not sure what condition the tree is really in. The first ten feet is big and straight so maybe save that.

I do have a story of complete ignorance that I actually witnessed

My previous job was working for a major pork producer in my area. One of the many duties was welding and fabrication.

Once crops were out JWV Pork would custom apply confinement manure. While pumping out buildings, sometimes metal debris would make its way into the applicator and stop the pump dead in its tracks usually shearing bolts.

The impeller pump had a series of bolts you could take off and clean out what ever was stuck in there.

Sometimes when weather is difficult, it’s a mad dash to get it all hauled out so people hurry and get careless.

I was asked to clean one out. Sure thing, BUT I was asked to GO INSIDE and clean it out instead of taking it apart. NO WAY. That is STUPID

The guy in charge of manure management got mad at me and decided to just do it himself.

I watched as he put on a “sandblasting” helmet, plugged into the “shop air compressor” which is unfiltered and toxic and go inside the 8400 gallon spreader to pull out the metal that had stopped the pump.

The spreader just had manure in it so the gases inside were deadly.

All to save 30 minutes.

I’m not THAT guy and I never will be.

I made up my mind on the spot that if he got in trouble then he would die there alone.

One of my duties there that would freak people out was welding patches on discharge pipes on grain legs.

Sometimes corn would wear holes in those pipes and require weld repairs.

I’d have to put on safety harness and climb those pipes on top of grain bins that connect to top of grain leg and weld a patch on.

I’m tracking a belt at FedEx so I’ve got some dead time. Have to make sure it tracks true extended and retracted.

Rule of thumb. Ten revolutions of the belt to see results of your adjustment.

gush you have a small boy’s dream job.

Ha ha ha!!! I love the company I work for.

My son is 15 and took some welding classes at Kirkwood here in town last year.

I was letting him try stick welding on the forklift assembly. His welds are on the bottom so they can’t be seen!!

He just needs more “stick” time to improve his technique.

Thanks for your concerns. I do not cut corners. I’ve worked maintenance service tech for years and grew up working in a farm.

I’ve got a lot to live for so I’m ALWAYS careful.

Emerald ash borer has hit our area so not sure what condition the tree is really in. The first ten feet is big and straight so maybe save that.

I do have a story of complete ignorance that I actually witnessed

My previous job was working for a major pork producer in my area. One of the many duties was welding and fabrication.

Once crops were out JWV Pork would custom apply confinement manure. While pumping out buildings, sometimes metal debris would make its way into the applicator and stop the pump dead in its tracks usually shearing bolts.

The impeller pump had a series of bolts you could take off and clean out what ever was stuck in there.

Sometimes when weather is difficult, it’s a mad dash to get it all hauled out so people hurry and get careless.

I was asked to clean one out. Sure thing, BUT I was asked to GO INSIDE and clean it out instead of taking it apart. NO WAY. That is STUPID

The guy in charge of manure management got mad at me and decided to just do it himself.

I watched as he put on a “sandblasting” helmet, plugged into the “shop air compressor” which is unfiltered and toxic and go inside the 8400 gallon spreader to pull out the metal that had stopped the pump.

The spreader just had manure in it so the gases inside were deadly.

All to save 30 minutes.

I’m not THAT guy and I never will be.

I made up my mind on the spot that if he got in trouble then he would die there alone.

Gush, I'm glad you've been paying attention to some of what's been previously posted on this forum.

Please allow me to share with you something important I've learned over the past several weeks.

Case in point: It's vitally important that in this fast-paced world we live in, to never be pressured into making quick decisions, unless you are absolutely trained to do so. If at all possible, remember to take your time, choose wisely, and consider what consequences could occur, because these consequences could be potentially calamitous, disastrous, or dangerous. Otherwise if the situation is a social one, you could easily be "played like a puppet" where others could take advantage of you.

I used this illustration yesterday to prove a point. But only revealed what would occur if one "dove into waters without first checking conditions" that could otherwise prove dangerous. What may happen might prove alarming to you. To me, I'm figuratively sitting back watching others sip on the straw of their soft drinks, they being unaware of their situation.

My knowledge is based on something that happened several days ago when I was in the doctor's office the end of the previous month. An unclean-looking man spoke with me for the better part of half an hour, inquiring about CBD oil and its benefits. With the knowledge I had of the topic, I answered his questions the best I could, but refrained from suggesting that CBD was a cure-all for pain and anxiety, which the man experienced. It was at that point I directed him to speak with either his doctor, whom the man was to visit briefly, or to a pharmacist who had better knowledge. The man thanked me, and asked me if I had a cigarette. I said, "No, sorry, I don't smoke." The man then shook my hand and the doctor then ushered me in for my appointment. I am glad that I told him, "No, I don't smoke" because that might have led me down a path of consequences it might prove difficult to handle otherwise. Some of the same consequences mentioned above in my first paragraph.

So, yes, folks, take your time and choose wisely. Don't ever let others pressure you into doing something you feel is wrong, or might conflict with your conscience. The results might result in bad decisions, instead of good ones. Results that could prove disastrous and dangerous. Yet moving forward, it's obvious that the results of bad decision-making have already occurred and continue to occur. Perhaps as was said if we slowed down instead of hurrying through life we might actually be able to choose more wisely and not suffer the consequences of our lack of foresight. And not allow the pressures of life force us into making bad decisions, when we could be enjoying the results of good decision-making.

PepperyMeagerDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

I like to throw broken junk out and replace it with nicer stuff. I keep good stuff in good shape. I get professionals to fix plumbing because I don’t like water spraying all over the house. I get professionals to do stone work because I don’t have the patience for it. Wood, walls and yard I do myself.

Last edited:
I’m often doing studio repairs, but it’s rarely the gear. It’s mainly experimenting with acoustical treatment and artwork. So I do a lot of spackling and touch-up on the walls.

The main problem is that I hate the carpet and need to replace it, even though it’s in great shape. Every time I think of blowing 4 grand to do it, though, I think, “I could get a nice guitar/amp/mic/etc. for that!”

So instead of just redoing the floor, I keep trying to make the existing room look nice by moving stuff around; which, let’s face it, is putting lipstick on a pig. No one said I was sane.

In 2010 we bought a 30 year old house that we called a "livable fixer upper". It wasn't really horrible but the previous-previous owners did a "remodel" that involved painting every surface the same white color, redoing the floors in almost every room in the exact same cheap tile, and redoing the bathroom counters with inexpensive granite tile that looked like it was installed by a novice. Grout over the outlet/light switch covers, etc. We think they threw it together as quick as possible to sell it, and the folks that bought it (and sold it to us) did basically nothing in the 18 months they lived there.

We have had professionals do a few things, but mostly I've been doing all the work myself. We've redone nearly everything including exterior doors. The worst part is, we had more time for it before my 2nd kid was born in 2012, so most of the work was done in that 2 year period. Now it's been 7 more years and the whole house needs new paint, and some things I replaced are already looking tired and out of date. It's very frustrating and it cuts severely into my guitar time.

Back