Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
Is there a version of the Narrowfield that has a coil tap or split? I am trying to spec out a PS build of a SSH, with some custom switching and didn't know if they had ever offered that. I have a WL SHH and love the tone of the Narrowfield, but would like the option to have more tonal possibilities with a split if possible. I have owned a 3 HB McCarty, but prefer the NF in the middle position over the split 58/15.

Malloc

Every used example I can find is single conductor, but I can’t imagine there’s a technical reason they couldn’t make some with 3 or 4 conductor depending on how fancy you want to get. Probably best to ask PTC directly if they’re willing on a PS build.

Stoptail22

El PRSidente
It's a quite easy job to add a split wire on a Narrowfield. In addition, i mounted the NF on a standard PRS base plate for use with a humbucker pickup ring.

full

full

full

full

This is my Mira X with the NF in the bass position, with mini switches for splitting.

The splitted NF sounds similar to the humbucker NF, just a little weaker with a little less low-end.

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
This is a pickup i’d never considered for splitting. Maybe splitting in the middle position with both pups split. Low noise would be my goal since it has fat single coil character anyway.

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White). While it was there I had them install two NF in it that I got from helmi (forum member). He had them mounted in specially made ebony rings. I asked the PTC if they could split them, and was told "no". However, Sergio told me that someone here had done it themselves. Guess that was @Stoptail22

Here's some glory shots, just cuz....

Before

EAaKQfJ.jpg

88awIlj.jpg

After

aZZrwSy.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

Tosca

Zombie 10, DFZ
I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White). While it was there I had them install two NF in it that I got from helmi (forum member). He had them mounted in specially made ebony rings. I asked the PTC if they could split them, and was told "no". However, Sergio told me that someone here had done it themselves. Guess that was @Stoptail22

Here's some glory shots, just cuz....

Before

EAaKQfJ.jpg

88awIlj.jpg

After

aZZrwSy.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

HAD?!?!?!?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White).
This guitar is so unique & recognizable. (I wouldn't have thought of a white back, but it just works on that guitar.) FYI there's a similar "creamsicle" NF/NF/HB Studio model out in the wild for sale right now--seeing yours here made me remember that one...

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
This guitar is so unique & recognizable. (I wouldn't have thought of a white back, but it just works on that guitar.) FYI there's a similar "creamsicle" NF/NF/HB Studio model out in the wild for sale right now--seeing yours here made me remember that one...
Thanks! Gotta be honest, the white back was a seed planted by @sergiodeblanc

neil godbole

So just as an update - the middle narrowfield can also be modified for series/parallel which I did with my SSH. The parallel ('tapped') sound is not nearly as weak as a split, and the tone is also quite a bit different than the series (stock) sound. Since I have an SSH, the narrowfield in the middle position has a strong 'singing' quality when isolated. The isolated narrowfield with parallel mod gets that mid 70's Jerry tone.