Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
Is there a version of the Narrowfield that has a coil tap or split? I am trying to spec out a PS build of a SSH, with some custom switching and didn't know if they had ever offered that. I have a WL SHH and love the tone of the Narrowfield, but would like the option to have more tonal possibilities with a split if possible. I have owned a 3 HB McCarty, but prefer the NF in the middle position over the split 58/15.

Every used example I can find is single conductor, but I can’t imagine there’s a technical reason they couldn’t make some with 3 or 4 conductor depending on how fancy you want to get. Probably best to ask PTC directly if they’re willing on a PS build.

It's a quite easy job to add a split wire on a Narrowfield. In addition, i mounted the NF on a standard PRS base plate for use with a humbucker pickup ring.

full

full

full

full

This is my Mira X with the NF in the bass position, with mini switches for splitting.

The splitted NF sounds similar to the humbucker NF, just a little weaker with a little less low-end.

This is a pickup i’d never considered for splitting. Maybe splitting in the middle position with both pups split. Low noise would be my goal since it has fat single coil character anyway.

I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White). While it was there I had them install two NF in it that I got from helmi (forum member). He had them mounted in specially made ebony rings. I asked the PTC if they could split them, and was told "no". However, Sergio told me that someone here had done it themselves. Guess that was @Stoptail22

Here's some glory shots, just cuz....

Before

EAaKQfJ.jpg

88awIlj.jpg

After

aZZrwSy.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White). While it was there I had them install two NF in it that I got from helmi (forum member). He had them mounted in specially made ebony rings. I asked the PTC if they could split them, and was told "no". However, Sergio told me that someone here had done it themselves. Guess that was @Stoptail22

Here's some glory shots, just cuz....

Before

EAaKQfJ.jpg

88awIlj.jpg

After

aZZrwSy.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

HAD?!?!?!?

I had a Santana that went to the PTC for a partial refinish (back from Blue to White).
This guitar is so unique & recognizable. (I wouldn't have thought of a white back, but it just works on that guitar.) FYI there's a similar "creamsicle" NF/NF/HB Studio model out in the wild for sale right now--seeing yours here made me remember that one...

This guitar is so unique & recognizable. (I wouldn't have thought of a white back, but it just works on that guitar.) FYI there's a similar "creamsicle" NF/NF/HB Studio model out in the wild for sale right now--seeing yours here made me remember that one...
Thanks! Gotta be honest, the white back was a seed planted by @sergiodeblanc

So just as an update - the middle narrowfield can also be modified for series/parallel which I did with my SSH. The parallel ('tapped') sound is not nearly as weak as a split, and the tone is also quite a bit different than the series (stock) sound. Since I have an SSH, the narrowfield in the middle position has a strong 'singing' quality when isolated. The isolated narrowfield with parallel mod gets that mid 70's Jerry tone.

So just as an update - the middle narrowfield can also be modified for series/parallel which I did with my SSH. The parallel ('tapped') sound is not nearly as weak as a split, and the tone is also quite a bit different than the series (stock) sound. Since I have an SSH, the narrowfield in the middle position has a strong 'singing' quality when isolated. The isolated narrowfield with parallel mod gets that mid 70's Jerry tone.
@neil godbole would you mind sending my the schematic for the mod? I would love to take to a tech and give it a try!

Back