58/15 lt + What values of resistors are used in the pickups?

Cale

Hi guys.

I love the 58/15 LT pickups and recently purchased a set of 58/15 LT+ pickups.

58/15 LT + pickups are known to have a DC resistance value that is more than 1k higher than regular 58/15 LT pickups, and their output is also greater than that of regular 58/15 LT pickups.

The PRS guitar uses resistors with values of 1.1k and 2.2k to compensate for the greatly reduced volume when the coil is tapped. PRS guitars use resistors with smaller values than recommended by other pickup manufacturers. I guess the intention is probably to not reduce the nuance of single coil pickups when coil tapped.

But is it a good idea to apply this uniformly to all guitars and pickups? I prefer to use higher value resistors for pickups with greater dc resistance. This is because I think it will reduce the sense of heterogeneity in the volume difference before and after switching the coil tap.

Do all guitars in a real PRS use registers with the same value? If any of you have tried different resistor values on PRS guitars or PRS pickups, can you tell us your story?

Thanks for reading,

I have three PRS guitars I split the coils with using those values.

One has a Duncan 59 and JB, one has Bare Knuckle Abraxas and one has PRS 57/08's.

The JB set is pretty hot, the Abraxas is kind of a medium hot and the 57/08 set is like old '57 pafs.

The split tones from all three sets sound GREAT with those values.

No need to change from 1.1k and 2.2K that I can think of unless the OP just feels like experimenting.

Last edited:
You can experiment with different values to see how YOU like it. I can tell you that PRS has used different values and finally decided the 1.1k and 2.2k is where they wanted to be. I have 2.2k and 8.8k in my DGT, from the factory. I also have an 8.8k in my 594, from the factory. I added the 1.1k and 2.2k to my CU22 and my SAS. I like what they do. The different value of resistors will keep different amounts of the second coil in the circuit when it is tapped. At some point the tapped sound will not sound like a single coil and will just sound like a weaker humbucker. You have to figure out what sounds the best to you for your use cases.

Back