How good are the 58/15 LT "S" (overseas) models?

cbgrey

Hey all. New to the PRS world and recently acquired a SE Hollowbody II Standard. While I love the overall playability of the guitar...not sure how I feel about the pickups. Specifically, the neck pick up for jazz tones (chord melody). Feels a little brittle on the highs but mushy on the lows.

I've been happy with a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover on an Eastman arch top that I have so I'm contemplating swapping out the stock pickups.

I would just leave them alone but I have to wire in a new selector switch anyway (it broke in shipping) so I'm thinking....as long as I'm in there...

Before I go through that effort... what are the general thoughts on these stock SE pickups? I know the non-"S" seem well-liked but what about the "S" versions? How similar are they to the US versions?

Bonus question: Can the 58/15 LT "S" be split? If I keep them, I may want to put in a push pull split.

Bottom line... what's the general feels on these pickups?

Welcome aboard!

I haven't played the LT-S versions, but I have several guitars from recent years with the original 58/15-S versions. I'm a big fan! I also have a couple of Cores that have LT's (non-S's, of course) - to my ears (which are not the most discerning!), they're very similar, with the LT's being slightly lower output, as designed.

And yes, I do have a set of the (non-LT) 58/15-S that are wired to be split, so I'd think it's likely the newer LT-S can be as well, but obviously I can't be certain

As for your concerns with the tone you're getting in the neck - have you tried adjusting the overall pickup height, and/or the individual pole pieces to see if you can find what you're looking for? To each their own, but I sometimes feel people are very quick to swap out the import pickups without really seeing what they can do. Maybe you still won't be happy, but at least you'll have been thorough before deciding to invest several hundred $ more (not to mention the time and effort to rewire in an HB!)

Anyhow, just my .02 - YMMV!

All that really matters is how you feel about them.

But.. They take a while to dial in. So far I'm happy with them overall. Good pickups. I'll end up swapping them, just haven't decided for what. Though, they keep fighting off the swap. If mine weren't in a seHb2 they would have for sure would been swapped around a few times by now chasing what's best to my ears. I'm a tweaker that can't leave well enough alone. The hollowbodies can be kind of a pain to swap unlike the control plate of a solid body.

Now the core 5815LT is probably my favorite PRS neck pickup, edging out the 5708 slightly and sometimes. The bridge is OK, would like more push. Works well for a hollowbody. Middle position with both pickups is pretty fantastic.

Yes, the 5815LT-s can be split.

As for your concerns with the tone you're getting in the neck - have you tried adjusting the overall pickup height, and/or the individual pole pieces to see if you can find what you're looking for? To each their own, but I sometimes feel people are very quick to swap out the import pickups without really seeing what they can do. Maybe you still won't be happy, but at least you'll have been thorough before deciding to invest several hundred $ more (not to mention the time and effort to rewire in an HB!)
Agree 1000%. Always adjust everything before a swap. It's amazing what a difference this can make. Everyone has a differnet playing style and rig that really needs to adjust to their taste. Height is crucial and don't ignore the pole pieces. Small parital turns can make a world of difference.

Complaints, comments, and concens I hear about pickups in general I typically don't experience because I take a lot of time to dial all mine in. The 5815S is a great example. They really do sound good and I have none of the issues I've read on line from others.

Totally agree that setup/amp/eq makes a huge difference and I've started to dial it in a bit better but...

I need to wire in a new switch....
I'd like the ability to add a split...
So I start asking myself if I should just swap out the PUs now while the patient is open.

It's an "If you give a mouse a cookie" scenario ;)

Appreciate everyone's input. Really didn't know what people thought of these.

I get wanting to swap while in there. If it was a solidbody I'd say why not..since it a hollowbody I'd give pause. Popping out a switch and resoldering a few wires n the exact same place is easy as can be. Grabbing surgical tubing, fishing line, or water to fish wires is whole next level. Adding the push/pull will be as well.

The big tweaker I am, I'd just put in the switch and play it for awhile to figure out if it works or what direction you want to go. Like, I'd personally add a toggle/s instead of push pull. That would require a drilling, but easy enough job with its construction. I've heard people have issues with clearance for push pull on the seHb2, but I've seen them added. I definitely wouldn't do one for the volume pot. 100% would add a core volume pot while in there. Factors like this is why I'd wait, plan it out, play it, and then go at it how it works for you.

Question, when say the toggle broke, are you saying it physically broke or isn't working?

Welcome aboard!

I haven't played the LT-S versions, but I have several guitars from recent years with the original 58/15-S versions. I'm a big fan! I also have a couple of Cores that have LT's (non-S's, of course) - to my ears (which are not the most discerning!), they're very similar, with the LT's being slightly lower output, as designed.

And yes, I do have a set of the (non-LT) 58/15-S that are wired to be split, so I'd think it's likely the newer LT-S can be as well, but obviously I can't be certain

Anyhow, just my .02 - YMMV!

The 58/15 LT "S" pickups are the same as the 58/15 "S" pickups, just rebranded. I was told this by two different PRS customer service reps.

I've heard people have issues with clearance for push pull on the seHb2

The only mention I've seen of this is with models with the piezo. Apparently the circuit board gets in the way of the push/pull.

Side question about push/pull with PRS... why do they only do these on the tone pot and not the volume ? Why did you suggest it's more difficult to to so on the volume pot?

Question, when say the toggle broke, are you saying it physically broke or isn't working?

The tip snapped off. The switch still works but is a pain to use (and is ugly)

AP1GczMvVQhr81dnPgmFDUH6mDGOgTOL2HyZ3NGV3J1gQishpniZkzuyUYNh57QHJKr5YXROjnVBe_ook68Atu6IRWBaxgRLlwNbiea9oDDBmWrud_8fJmG3OhPJyqDLwzsIdY221u359wZOvkYi7LqY3YU1Nw=w1280-h960-s-no

The 58/15 LT "S" pickups are the same as the 58/15 "S" pickups, just rebranded. I was told this by two different PRS customer service reps.
Wait, wut? That's not helping the case to keep them :mad:

The only mention I've seen of this is with models with the piezo. Apparently the circuit board gets in the way of the push/pull.
Ahh now that you mention it, that's what I read too.

Side question about push/pull with PRS... why do they only do these on the tone pot and not the volume ? Why did you suggest it's more difficult to to so on the volume pot?
It's not that it's more difficult to do the volume. I like the core vol pot taper. It's my fav. I also use my knobs quite a bit and wouldn't want the P/P on the volume. I use that one constantly.

The tip snapped off. The switch still works but is a pain to use (and is ugly)

AP1GczMvVQhr81dnPgmFDUH6mDGOgTOL2HyZ3NGV3J1gQishpniZkzuyUYNh57QHJKr5YXROjnVBe_ook68Atu6IRWBaxgRLlwNbiea9oDDBmWrud_8fJmG3OhPJyqDLwzsIdY221u359wZOvkYi7LqY3YU1Nw=w1280-h960-s-no
Ouch! That snapped. Did you get a switchcraft to replace or the same? I'd use a switchcraft while in there.

Wait, wut? That's not helping the case to keep them :mad:
Apparently, it's the Hollowbodies if I remember right. They seem to be lower readings across the board than the other models that had 5815.

It's not that it's more difficult to do the volume. I like the core vol pot taper. It's my fav. I also use my knobs quite a bit and wouldn't want the P/P on the volume. I use that one constantly.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Ouch! That snapped. Did you get a switchcraft to replace or the same? I'd use a switchcraft while in there.

Haven't ordered the replacement yet but yep...planned on a Switchcraft.

Apparently, it's the Hollowbodies if I remember right. They seem to be lower readings across the board than the other models that had 5815.
However, all the models that used to have the 58/15 S in 2022 were switched with the 58/15 LT S in 2023, so I'd assume it's just a name change and the pickups have always been the same.

However, all the models that used to have the 58/15 S in 2022 were switched with the 58/15 LT S in 2023, so I'd assume it's just a name change and the pickups have always been the same.
I wouldn't know. All I know is there's 5815S with higher readings out there.

Back