Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Just to let you know, it's not really 2,000W. Somebody explained what it really meant, but it is still really loud.

Not surprised. Likely the wattage bridged. Not easy to locate an FRFR108 that could be checked out in store. Only a small handful within 100 miles, 2-½, to be exact...2 that have FRFR108 floor models, one with an FRFR112...

Was hoping to trade-in an amp, and order an FRFR to be shipped...will need to check with stores again before driving next week...

As far as ease of use, I've had good luck gigging with Line 6 gear in the past but their foot switches have always been problematic and have failed me while onstage more than once. I'm specifically talking about the old POD Pro floorboard and the POD HD 500. I believe they have fixed these issue on their newer hardware.

I'm very intrigued by the POD Go. I have a pretty full featured pedalboard these days but there's something I actually quite like about the multi-fx boards. They have a "sound" and everything is right there in a convenient package. I don't think they sound as pristine as a board full of great pedals but on the other hand, my favorite album of the past decade (Karnivool's Sound Awake) has Boss GT boards and pretty standard production amps all over it and the tones are absolutely beautiful.

To answer the OP a bit more directly, I've run the HD 500 direct to FOH and also into a tube power amp and cab with mic. I much preferred the tone and feel of feeding the power amp. I also did this briefly with a buddy's Fractal AX8 and the tones were really great and sounded much better than the HD direct but I'm still a fan of running these types of units into tube power.

2000w described is peak power. If you ran that speaker at peak for a while it would fail.
RMS power is what you can run continuously without fear of component failure.
That 2000w peak power might translate to something less than half in RMS.

To answer the OP a bit more directly, I've run the HD 500 direct to FOH and also into a tube power amp and cab with mic. I much preferred the tone and feel of feeding the power amp. I also did this briefly with a buddy's Fractal AX8 and the tones were really great and sounded much better than the HD direct but I'm still a fan of running these types of units into tube power.

Putting HeadRush through a tube amp is a good choice, though in the HR's instance, requires 4 cables that includes the amp's FX loop. On stage, unless you've got cables delineated so you know what goes where, the cable management can be a fiasco. It's like asking your kids to take off their boots in the mud room so they don't track stuff all over your recently mopped floor. (I just mopped that!)

Anyway, unlabeled cables can be a guessing game of what goes where, especially if you don't have the a YT video pulled up showing you how...a solid-state FRFR may not have as much analog warmth as a tube amp, but it sure as heck doesn't require as much maintenance if one takes care of it correctly...

My feeling is that I've got time next week to make a drive to a store that still has a FRFR108 on the sales floor. My hope is to at least check out the floor model and order once my HR test/audio check is complete.

2000w described is peak power. If you ran that speaker at peak for a while it would fail.
RMS power is what you can run continuously without fear of component failure.
That 2000w peak power might translate to something less than half in RMS.

Ah. 2000W is way too much to even begin thinking about running it at full power continuously. I'm happy with even 500W RMS, so having more on tap is needed only when blowing out the apartment complex. Good thing I'm as quiet as a mouse during the evening hours. Only things you'll hear me doing is tapping on my keyboard while typing up documents or reports. Even with headphones, owning a HR makes it that much easier to practice without bugging the neighbors, who may be looking for whatever the heck it is they're looking for. ;)

Last edited:
Just to let you know, it's not really 2,000W. Somebody explained what it really meant, but it is still really loud.

Was able to locate a FRFR108 in our region. Put a downpayment on the FRFR to hold it at the store. Brand new, in carton. Will be joining a friend for a drive this week to check out a FRFR108 floor model, and will bring my HR to plug in and hear how the HR sounds through the FRFR. Will be trading in my amp if all goes well. (Selling online would prove not as easy because of the obscurity of the boutique amp)

Hopefully, GC will offer an acceptable trade-in value and put some of the value towards the FRFR. Remainder in cash/check. May consider an XLR cable, but may not need one if my open-mic gig provides. Will try to keep expenses down, and clear up any loose ends once transaction goes through. Could use some mojo, I've some butterflies regards conducting this transaction...

They don't, and won't. I had better value selling my stuff by myself and then buy what I want with the proceeds.

Understood. My feeling is that my amp is so rare and obscure that only one is on record for being sold in the past 3 years. That may not make it desirable, though. And again, if I try selling, there may not be much market for the amp except in Europe. Am not planning on shipping to Europe; the import taxes and shipping would be exorbitant.

And that's OK I'm my view. I'm not looking towards making a lot of money selling this amp, and GC has already committed to an acceptable amount of what they'd sell the amp for. IIRC, that is pretty much standard practice with used gear retailers. The clerk whom I spoke with was upfront with me, and if his co-workers back out on the offer we agreed upon, it's his problem, not mine. I walk. I made sure that the clerk in question informed his co-workers so they know both his and my agreement. I've included a set of replacement tubes for the amp and original shipping carton as part of the trade-in.

While I can't disclose the agreement or approximate amount agreed upon, it will be enough to cover the cost of the FRFR and still provide either cash or a PP credit card for the balance of the transaction, dependent on the transaction.

Regards my effects pedals, these will be listed for sale (where shipping will be substantially less) that will generate income for the coming year's winter tire swap November of this year.

It'll be a few days before making the drive to GC. Meanwhile, I've put a deposit on the FRFR in case some enterprising young clerk sees a chance to make a quick buck and pulls the rug out from underneath me. If that happens, GC corporate will be informed of the clerk and store's failure to honor a paid agreement and possible litigation for breach of contract. While I have no desire for creating a stir, I'm standing within my legal rights and have made sure this will proceed accordingly.

I may not be the nicest or most understanding guy when it comes to business deals, but I sure don't mess around when it comes to legal business agreements. Otherwise, I hope to be polite and kind towards the clerks who thus far have gone above and beyond so that my trade-in agreement and purchase will be conducted in a timely and professional manner. They've shown me a professional attitude thus far, I hope to provide them with the same respect as well.

Last edited:
Some decent news, my friend on the way up to MA said he'd buy my amp for a little more than GC would offer in trade...my buddy got a deal that he could turn around in the future and liquidate if needs be...the FRFR made it safely home and now sits among my "fireplace blocks" I employ as bookshelves.

I've not powered the FRFR up yet, but will do so Tuesday early afternoon and correct any bass-heavy rigs (at GC the FRFR sounded a tad heavy on the bass end, so will adjust the EQ, overdrive, boost and amp EQ levels accordingly). Also will put in place a noise suppressor in my clean rig signal path (which hummed vigorously when my fingers weren't touching the guitar strings at GC today...the lead rig tone had a noise suppressor in its signal chain, which was quiet as a church mouse by comparison...)

Some decent news, my friend on the way up to MA said he'd buy my amp for a little more than GC would offer in trade...my buddy got a deal that he could turn around in the future and liquidate if needs be...the FRFR made it safely home and now sits among my "fireplace blocks" I employ as bookshelves.

I've not powered the FRFR up yet, but will do so Tuesday early afternoon and correct any bass-heavy rigs (at GC the FRFR sounded a tad heavy on the bass end, so will adjust the EQ, overdrive, boost and amp EQ levels accordingly). Also will put in place a noise suppressor in my clean rig signal path (which hummed vigorously when my fingers weren't touching the guitar strings at GC today...the lead rig tone had a noise suppressor in its signal chain, which was quiet as a church mouse by comparison...)

Play around with the contour switch on the back, sir.

Play around with the contour switch on the back, sir.

THANKS! No clue about that. So that's what that does...pop fizzle bzzzt. :)

Hmm, the GND switch will reduce noise or hum, but the CTR switch (engaged) will increase bass & treble by 3dB. Not sure if the floor model at GC's switch was engaged or not, likely yes...

Heading to bed soon...cannot spend time with practice this evening...was awake at 6:45 earlier this morning and am a bit tired...after morning routine will hop back on the HR and try again...

Last edited:
Was able to put the HR/FRFR through a battery of tests...included a noise suppressor in my clean rig (no hum/hiss anymore), and swapped out the lead rig CAB model for a 4x12 30W...oooooh aaaah.....nice thick tones now...will try pulling back on the overdrive gain or amp model preamp input levels for smoother gain response; will need to adjust ever so slightly so my increased guitar volume will push the amp into saturation whereas lower volumes will clean up...almost got it...will tone report later this afternoon...

Switching from "Stomp" mode to "Rig" mode seems to alter the EQ within the saved rig presets...not sure if this is my imagination or not...my clean rig sounds much like Pete Townshend's 'Live at Leeds' HiWatt...interesting to say the least, yet is only a Black Lux Norm with 1x12 CAB...the lead tone is a '80 Lead 100W with 4x12 30W speakers...which cleans up nicely at lower volumes but gets thick and meaty at higher volumes...think I've got things where they need to be for now...will work on an EJ tone later this week...may be possible to tweak one of the HRs presets and store it in the HR's user library...

Try saving it before switching to anything.

IIRC, it's possible to back out of the parameter settings before saving, and also adjust other parameter settings before saving.

You're saying to save before backing out of parameters? I don't think it's possible to switch between rigs or foot switches without being prompted to save or cancel...?

Possibly save presets within view mode that displays stomp, rig, etc?

Last edited:
IIRC, it's possible to back out of the parameter settings before saving, and also adjust other parameter settings before saving.

You're saying to save before backing out of parameters? I don't think it's possible to switch between rigs or foot switches without being prompted to save or cancel...?

Possibly save presets within view mode that displays stomp, rig, etc?
I'm actually not sure what I'm saying. Haha! I only know how to use it when I'm in front of it.

Take a look at Choptones. What do you play?

I'm actually not sure what I'm saying. Haha! I only know how to use it when I'm in front of it.

Take a look at Choptones. What do you play?

I'll check Choptones perhaps Thursday or Friday. Mostly an eclectic form of jazz and blues, wouldn't mind having some "just edge of break-up" quality cab models, nothing too schooled or fancy. Busy doing my reading and cleaning up the kitchen this evening...the floor needs swiffering...

Last few questions regards the HR before allowing this thread to fade...

Regards setting up RIG or Setlist, am wondering how to set up several rigs so that each of the 4 footswitches has 1 rig assigned to it. IIRC, it has something to do with Global Settings and the Alternate Rig (4 RIG / NO HOLD) toggle.

My hope is to create 2 additional rigs and then assign one separate rig to each footswitch, for a total of 4 rigs. Hopefully, also allowing the last footswitch to toggle to tuner with a 2-second hold.

I've current got my lead tone assigned to the first footswitch when in RIG mode, and my clean to the 2nd, but would like to reverse this once all 4 rigs are created and tweaked to taste.

Am currently corresponding with a HR rep from Sweetwater, but it's like pulling teeth trying to get a direct answer to my question. Am not a fan of obfuscating logic, but dazzling me with BS...FTR...not buying any of that.

Back