Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Had been doing some research and it seems that a new guitar is not on my want list, though saving for a better multi-effects/amp modeler is. And, true to form, the Neural Quad Cortex was there. Reading up on their mainframe, it seems that the Neural mothership is lagging behind on shipping out to dealers because they need to be sure their software is up to snuff with certain DAWs....Pro Tools being the primary bugaboo. Neural has also upgraded some of the PCB board's components because beta-testers have returned some unacceptable results from sampling the product at the consumer level.

After visiting the Neural website, yes, DANG, the Plini plug-in sounds awesome! I've not considered this, but will also put this on the wish list if ever I make it to home recording 102 class. Thus far, I've put my name and CC in for pre-order of a Quad Cortex and will wait the prescribed time until Neural begins shipping to dealers.
(Just a heads-up! Sweetwater.com will be the only United States Neural dealer, according to Sweetwater.) There is also one Canadian dealer, as well as several additional international dealers (Andertons, included), but none have the revised new 2021 products yet because of the software tweaks Neural is doing prior to shipping product.

FTR, the Quad Cortex has done away with some of the previous effects because of the instability and unreliability regards effects modeling. While I would have loved to have seen the MP Simble kept aboard, several effects were left out of the 2021 software upgrade. Other issues include the noise floor and mitigating that, suggestions of utilizing a DI box before unit input so as to provide a balanced signal before your instrument cable even touches the Quad Cortex. There are some glaring known issues that will need "fixing" before the Quad Cortex will be accepted by its public admirers.

What is promising it the ease of use. Pete Thorn recently did a video showcasing the Quad Cortex, and he was blown away with how easy it was to get the unit up and running, and dial in a decent rig tone. Said he didn't even need to read the owner's manual, it was that intuitive. What looks interesting is the ability to chain 4 amps and cabs together and output them in stereo L/R. Or utilize parallel effects loops within the framework of the Quad Cortex.

Now that I've given you the good news, here's the caveat: Sweetwater (and all other dealers) are still accepting only pre-orders for the Quad Cortex, until Neural begins releasing product. The scoop is that Sweetwater will receive the first batch of product in about a month's time, perhaps a few weeks beyond. Then, a couple weeks later, to insure the product is stable and without any issues, more shipments will be made every 2nd or 3rd week. Those who have pre-ordered are on a the waiting list until their name comes up, and then you have the option to have the Quad Cortex shipped to you. You MUST pay via CC otherwise if using PayPal you will be charged immediately. Utilizing a CC, your card will not be charged until you give approval that you wish to receive the unit and it will then be shipped. That keeps your money in your pocket until you say so.

Best wishes, had thought to revisit this post from January 2020 when the HeadRush was my choice of multi-effect. Now, my Gigboard and Expression pedal is now being offered to folks again with a group of pre-loaded rigs sectioned into a setlist, and downloaded IRs that wouldn't be available to new buyers. The IRs are invaluable towards good tone, so whoever buys this will not need spend extra cash on IRs. (And there are some good ones already downloaded).
I'm not changing now. I have the multi-fx that I like, both for guitar and bass. I honestly don't need the sales pitch.

I'm not changing now. I have the multi-fx that I like, both for guitar and bass. I honestly don't need the sales pitch.

It's OK. The only reason I'm feeling stoked about this is because I realized that my guitars provide all the tones I could want from them....it was the manner in which they were being modified and amplified. Pete Thorn's video was the reason I rethought my effects/amp.

Had been doing some research and it seems that a new guitar is not on my want list, though saving for a better multi-effects/amp modeler is. And, true to form, the Neural Quad Cortex was there. Reading up on their mainframe, it seems that the Neural mothership is lagging behind on shipping out to dealers because they need to be sure their software is up to snuff with certain DAWs....Pro Tools being the primary bugaboo. Neural has also upgraded some of the PCB board's components because beta-testers have returned some unacceptable results from sampling the product at the consumer level.

After visiting the Neural website, yes, DANG, the Plini plug-in sounds awesome! I've not considered this, but will also put this on the wish list if ever I make it to home recording 102 class. Thus far, I've put my name and CC in for pre-order of a Quad Cortex and will wait the prescribed time until Neural begins shipping to dealers.
(Just a heads-up! Sweetwater.com will be the only United States Neural dealer, according to Sweetwater.) There is also one Canadian dealer, as well as several additional international dealers (Andertons, included), but none have the revised new 2021 products yet because of the software tweaks Neural is doing prior to shipping product.

FTR, the Quad Cortex has done away with some of the previous effects because of the instability and unreliability regards effects modeling. While I would have loved to have seen the MP Simble kept aboard, several effects were left out of the 2021 software upgrade. Other issues include the noise floor and mitigating that, suggestions of utilizing a DI box before unit input so as to provide a balanced signal before your instrument cable even touches the Quad Cortex. There are some glaring known issues that will need "fixing" before the Quad Cortex will be accepted by its public admirers.

What is promising it the ease of use. Pete Thorn recently did a video showcasing the Quad Cortex, and he was blown away with how easy it was to get the unit up and running, and dial in a decent rig tone. Said he didn't even need to read the owner's manual, it was that intuitive. What looks interesting is the ability to chain 4 amps and cabs together and output them in stereo L/R. Or utilize parallel effects loops within the framework of the Quad Cortex.

Now that I've given you the good news, here's the caveat: Sweetwater (and all other dealers) are still accepting only pre-orders for the Quad Cortex, until Neural begins releasing product. The scoop is that Sweetwater will receive the first batch of product in about a month's time, perhaps a few weeks beyond. Then, a couple weeks later, to insure the product is stable and without any issues, more shipments will be made every 2nd or 3rd week. Those who have pre-ordered are on a the waiting list until their name comes up, and then you have the option to have the Quad Cortex shipped to you. You MUST pay via CC otherwise if using PayPal you will be charged immediately. Utilizing a CC, your card will not be charged until you give approval that you wish to receive the unit and it will then be shipped. That keeps your money in your pocket until you say so.

Best wishes, had thought to revisit this post from January 2020 when the HeadRush was my choice of multi-effect. Now, my Gigboard and Expression pedal is now being offered to folks again with a group of pre-loaded rigs sectioned into a setlist, and downloaded IRs that wouldn't be available to new buyers. The IRs are invaluable towards good tone, so whoever buys this will not need spend extra cash on IRs. (And there are some good ones already downloaded).
Now that sounds and demos are coming out, i'm having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need this, and the 5 or so amps I already have, as well as the dozen or so pedals are probably enough for me...

Congrats on putting money down, no doubt you are going to have a blast with it!

Now that sounds and demos are coming out, i'm having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need this, and the 5 or so amps I already have, as well as the dozen or so pedals are probably enough for me...

Congrats on putting money down, no doubt you are going to have a blast with it!

Thanks, my order info is on file and my name on the waiting list. According to Sweetwater, my name will likely be among the first group of participants to receive Neural's shipment to Sweetwater.

I've listened to several video demos of the Quad Cortex and am all but convinced that this unit will be among the last few changes I'd make to my effects/amp lineup. The Quad Cortex's OS will be upgradable via wi-fi (Neural is still working out the last known bugs with their wi-fi) as well as USB. The minor bug fixes Neural is making prior to shipment are so that they will have fewer after-sales customer issues. granted, there may be some, but the known issues now are being addressed and fixed before the major push toward marketable product occurs.

What makes the QC so versatile is that there are currently 50 amp models and over 70(?) effects, with 300(?) IR cabinet models. For the value and tone quality, it makes sense for me to invest in this. Plus, Neural promises regular OS updates which will add greater flexibility regards IR captures and upgrades free of charge for each new owner. (I do not know if 2nd-hand owners have the same privileges.)

While trying to own every actual amp in the QCs library would be a logistical hassle, what with needed storage space plus the actual outlay of cash required, for the price of a decent tube amp, the Quad Cortex fits the bill.

Yet for now, I await my HeadRush sale to proceed (good deal there). Savings have been set aside for the Neural. Will revisit this post again in about 4 to 6 weeks time.

Until we see a generational leap in hardware and software, I suspect most of the current generation modelers will remain within spitting distance of each other.

What I've learned is that it's quite easy to go down a rabbit hole of tweaking. That's fine if that's where a person's interests are at. For me, I get more enjoyment of out spending my limited time playing guitar. I've both purchased and built some nice presets for my Headrush, and I now spend very little time making adjustments. I'm happier that way.

What I've learned is that it's quite easy to go down a rabbit hole of tweaking. That's fine if that's where a person's interests are at. For me, I get more enjoyment of out spending my limited time playing guitar. I've both purchased and built some nice presets for my Headrush, and I now spend very little time making adjustments. I'm happier that way.

I was the same way as well, but was kind of feeling a little dissatisfied with the stipulation to not upgrade to Big Sur because HeadRush is compatible only up to and including Catalina 10.15. Not upgrading was security risk for my computer, because all my additional program OS was already upgrading to be Big Sur compatible.

Because it was necessary for me to upgrade to Big Sur, it is not possible at this time for me to connect to my computer and add, modify or utilize Logic Pro X with HeadRush. That's holding me back. Neural Quad Cortex is already Big Sur compatible, but has some OS bugs that are being addressed and hopefully fixed before Neural rolls out their product.

I did, however, enjoy the ease of tweaking parameters and dialing in effects/amps/cabs/tones that I felt had some merit. Hopefully, the next person to own my Headrush will appreciate what's already there, and the cab IRs that have already been uploaded to the Gigboard.

The reason I've chosen to invest in the Neural QC is because it took quite a few emails and phone calls to initially learn how to work with the HeadRush from day one. Who knew of the 4-cable method? The Alternate Rig method? Buried deep within the owner's manual are these instructions, but it was very much the learning curve to know how to work with this correctly.

The Neural has virtually done away with the hassle of setting up the Quad Cortex. A step-by-step onboard introduction powers you up, connects both your speakers and settings, instrument cable input settings, USB, wi-fi, all that's needed to begin using the QC. Only thing I might need do is verify what onscreen icons designate and then work from there. Most everything is foolproof and intuitive. The Quick-Start guide will prove invaluable, but the deep dive comes with the owner's manual, all 104 pages of it. (Will read that when I need insight, but not casual reading...)

There's no issue between HR 2.1.3 and Mac OS Big Sur.

You've successfully downloaded v 2.1.3 and been able to connect your HR to your Apple running Big Sur and download IRs to your Gigboard? Or otherwise use your Gigboard for whatever purpose while connected to your Apple with Big Sur?

I sense a huge DOH heading my direction.

No, I don't live on the cutting edge of OS updates. 20 years in IT has taught me not to break what is working for me without very good reason. I try to stay two years behind.

The HR support people say that the issue with Catalina and their product don't appear to be in Big Sur. More likely, the fix they did for Catalina also applies to Big Sur.

There's a fellow on the HR forum that confirms that it all works with his Gigboard.

There should be a HR update with some new features out "soon." It's in its second round of beta testing, and if nothing crops up they say they'll get it released shortly.

From the HR Forum:

Headrush
60d

Hello @jugsjudy, happy to help out.

As of right now testing is still in process, but overall Big Sur isn’t seeming to be as breaking as Catalina was, we should be receiving more info next week about compatibility and will share when ready.

simon.gwynn

60d
I waited as long as I could but upgraded my Macs to Big Sur today. No problem connecting the Gigboard and putting it into USB file transfer mode. The Headrush appears in the finder window and I can back up and load files without any problem.

OK, took a leap of faith and updated to v2.1.3. Also have Big Sur 11.2 at this time. Also have some IR files I'd previously downloaded with Big Sur but not installed onto the Gigboard. Will report back later tonight if the IR files upload successfully.

Cancelled my eBay sale. Am trusting your info although HeadRush says beta testers have not confirmed Gigboard complete reliability with Big Sur.

v.2.1.3 installed successfully. Hope this works as expected.

Will look forward to HR's new features and update. Wouldn't mind a D-style amp other than the Blue Line, or additional low-to-moderate gain overdrive effects to choose from.

Like you, I'm somewhat skeptical of "new" technology products until they've had some time in consumer's hands. At least this way, consumers can provide feedback to builders so they can review their OS and perform the bug fixes as they develop more efficient software.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

With Big Sur 11.2 onboard, it was possible to upload a small folder of IRs to my Gigboard v 2.1.3 OS.

Really was not sure this would work, but the sync and upload went smoothly.

The IRs? Choptones EVH Covers Pack. Will test drive one (or more) of the .wav files tomorrow once the larger part of my work from home will be completed.

Although the Gigboard may not be reliable for use with DAWs yet, it is still possible to utilize the Gigboard as a standalone unit, either with FRFRs or headphones.

Thanks, @RC Mike, your insight may have saved me unnecessary costs because of my mistaken belief that the Gigboard would not be compatible with Big Sur until some undetermined future time. Will look forward to HR's OS update in the near future...

Just thought to thank @RC Mike again for setting me straight regards the HeadRush Gigboard and its OS. My Gigboard apparently had v 2.1.2 OS on it and I did not know v2.1.3 would improve the Gigboard's Big Sur compatibility. Truthfully, HeadRush techs themselves say v2.1.3 is still being tested with Big Sur, but several prominent HR Forum members say their Gigboards work well with both v2.1.3 and Big Sur.

So, with @RC Mike's advice, the upgrade to v2.1.3 was made. And thankfully, no issues with Big Sur at this writing regards uploading cab IRs to the Gigboard.

Spent some time tweaking my rig settings within my setlist, working towards an exclusively clean rig, and 3 separate overdriven/distortion rigs, with varying degrees of modulation, delay and reverb. Am happy for the moment with what has been done. And happy that my practice session went remarkably well, despite my lack of skills and chops.

My LEAD rig is decent, consisting of 2 amps (Bogner Blue & RF BlueLine) and 2 digital delays, each varied by a few milliseconds so as to provide a larger room feel, with extra hair on both amps. To my ears, it's pretty massive-sounding, and my FRFRs are not cranked anywhere near gig level. If anyone has not tried this technique, consider using two digital delays with slightly varied (¼ note and ⅛th note) delay. It's a good way to obtain an arena-like feel without being subject to stereo output that sounds the same to your ears.

Still loving my Fractal FM3, sounds and feels great. They announced a new modeling algorithm for the Fractal stuff yesterday. Not sure what they could be improving in the modeling, but it's fun and exciting anyway haha!

Still loving my Fractal FM3, sounds and feels great. They announced a new modeling algorithm for the Fractal stuff yesterday. Not sure what they could be improving in the modeling, but it's fun and exciting anyway haha!

Fractal has been around for a while, so they know their stuff. Neural has a few things to work out with their GUI and OS, but early feedback suggests these things have been noted. Caveat is, as Paul David said, "I don't buy new technology based on future promised software releases."

If the Fractal FM3 were within my budget, it would sure be something to consider. May need to do more research and rethink my options.

Back