Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Last few questions regards the HR before allowing this thread to fade...

Regards setting up RIG or Setlist, am wondering how to set up several rigs so that each of the 4 footswitches has 1 rig assigned to it. IIRC, it has something to do with Global Settings and the Alternate Rig (4 RIG / NO HOLD) toggle.

I may not be of help to you now because I just jumped into the HR world myself. That is something I want to achieve too but has not gotten into it yet. There is a Headrush group on Facebook that I ask my own questions. You may look them up. But I will ask the same question as it is something I have been wanting to do too.

I may not be of help to you now because I just jumped into the HR world myself. That is something I want to achieve too but has not gotten into it yet. There is a Headrush group on Facebook that I ask my own questions. You may look them up. But I will ask the same question as it is something I have been wanting to do too.

You might be able to contact a Sweetwater/InMusic rep who has more extensive knowledge of HR products. (My current source of HR database answers).

The answer to my question above involves utilizing the 'Alternate Rig (4 RIG / NO HOLD)' toggle in Global Settings, and assigning rigs to a setlist. The 4 RIG method allows you to assign separate rigs to each footswitch. Useful when you only need 4 rig "tones" for a gig and not much else. (Caveat: I've not tried this myself and cannot attest to the instructions accuracy yet. Will try doing so Sunday afternoon.)

I'll PM instructions to you that were given to me by the SW/I rep. Hopefully, this will help with your 4 rig setup...

Last edited:
You might be able to contact a Sweetwater/InMusic rep who has more extensive knowledge of HR products. (My current source of HR database answers).

The answer to my question above involves utilizing the 'Alternate Rig (4 RIG / NO HOLD)' toggle in Global Settings, and assigning rigs to a setlist. The 4 RIG method allows you to assign separate rigs to each footswitch. Useful when you only need 4 rig "tones" for a gig and not much else. (Caveat: I've not tried this myself and cannot attest to the instructions accuracy yet. Will try doing so Sunday afternoon.)

I'll PM instructions to you that were given to me by the SW/I rep. Hopefully, this will help with your 4 rig setup...
Thanks for sharing!

Per our PM conversations, you now have the means at your fingertips of how to construct a setlist consisting of 4 rigs per setlist.

To edit a setlist, tap the 3 bar menu in the upper left screen, scroll down to your setlist, tap of the 3 dots to the left of the setlist name, then tap the pencil to the right. You can rearrange, add or delete rigs from your setlist, then save accordingly.

Here's an image of my HR screen:

H0YNFEA.jpg

As you can see, there is a CLEAN RIG ('64 Black Lux Norm / Choptones George Benson 1x12 IR), SMOOTH ('82 LEAD 100W / Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic 4x12 IR), CRUNCH ('59 Black Gain Mod / Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic 4x12 IR) and lastly, an EJ DOVER ('69 Plexiglas 100W / Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic 4x12 IR / Tri Fuzz).

All these are tweaked to my tastes and what my ears prefer. Slight bass, mid and upper mid boosts from Graphic EQ and Tone adjustments, scooped lower mids and high treble. Tried to balance volume according to each rig at same nominal guitar volume and speaker output level.

TONE REPORT:

Although not thoroughly exploring the HR Gigboard user presets, it was possible to create 4 individual rigs that were combined into 1 setlist which will serve as my MAIN RIG for the time being.

The CLEAN (formerly CLEAN RIG) 1st footswitch sports an IN GATE (the IN GATE doesn't quite suppress noise the way I'd like), GATE (threshold and noise suppression's set to mitigate ambient guitar hiss and hum when fingers are not touching metal). DYNIII COMP (compression to regulate gain and/or volume transients and provide equivalent levels). GRAPHIC EQ (Slight bass, mid, and upper mid boost. Scooped lower mids and high treble frequencies. GAIN within GRAPHIC EQ set flat, no increase or decrease.) WHITE BOOST: This pushes ther amp that follows into mild breakup at increased guitar volume.) AMP ('64 Black Lux Norm), ELEVEN REVERB (JAZZ CLUB), DYN DELAY (DEFAULT MONO, TEMPO 1/4T), CAB IR (1024) (Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic SetUp 4x12), OUT (LEVEL decreased so as to curtail OUTPUT OVERLOAD before SPEAKER CAB)

Phat warm tones. Will cut through a mix well. Will tweak slightly further so as to increase mid and bass presence. Will push slightly into amp break-up at increased guitar volume. Has very good potential as a clean platform for numerous applications.

SMOOTH 2nd footswitch: IN GATE, GATE, SHINE WAH, DYNIII COMP, GRAPHIC EQ, GREEN JRC-OD (SMOOTH TubeScreamer), WHITE BOOST, AMP ('82 LEAD 100W), ELEVEN REVERB (CONCERT HALL), DYN DELAY (DEFAULT MONO), CAB IR (1024) (Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic SetUp 4x12), OUT (LEVEL decreased > SPEAKER CAB)

Louder clean channel that displays smooth cleans until pushed, then saturates smoothly at higher guitar volumes. Could be one of my favorite settings.

CRUNCH 3rd footswitch: IN GATE, GATE, DYNIII COMP, GRAPHIC EQ, GREEN JRC-OD (SMOOTH Tubescreamer), WHITE BOOST, AMP ('59 Black Gain Mod), ELEVEN REVERB (CONCERT HALL), DYN DELAY (DEFAULT DYN STEREO), CAB IR (1024) (Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic SetUp 4x12), OUT (LEVEL decreased > SPEAKER CAB)

Utilizes a '59 model amp that has been modded for added gain. Slightly grittier tones from this setting, useful for particular songs that require less saturation, but higher gain crunch.

EJ DOVER 4th footswitch: IN GATE, GATE, DYNIII COMP, GRAPHIC EQ, TRI-FUZZ (WARM BODY), GREEN JDC-OD (SMOOTH Tubescreamer), WHITE BOOST, AMP ('69 Plexiglas 100W), ELEVEN REVERB (CONCERT HALL), TAPE ECHO (DOUBLING) , CAB IR (1024) (Celestion Creamback Impossible 8-Mic SetUp 4x12), OUT (LEVEL decreased > SPEAKER CAB)

The '69 Plexiglas and Tri-Fuzz makes this setting sustain forever. Saturation, fuzz, sings like nobody's business. Can hold a note for a good 20 to 25 seconds. Fuzz gets a little spitty as guitar volume increases. Not unexpected. May add an octaver for that KWS or Jimi effect.

That's it folks. Useful tones until adding extra setlists for separate gigs or certain needs.

Last edited:
Loved ur detailed & intelligent descriptions of the recipes you’re using in your rigs!
I wanted to share w/you & entire forum that I stumbled on the “Redbacks” in the Celestion lineup as I was buying some of their other IRs Now as I build a rig scrolling and sampling literally hundreds of IRs in my library, I find myself using a Redback. Most convincing & present of all IRs....my setup includes both the HeadRush FRFR 108 & 112 speakers. Soo Sweet

Thank you @CandidPicker for the detailed instructions and descriptions! Seems you're enjoying your Gigboard a lot already!

I am GAS'ing for the Choptones Archon patches but it's a little bit expensive for me right now.

Loved ur detailed & intelligent descriptions of the recipes you’re using in your rigs!
I wanted to share w/you & entire forum that I stumbled on the “Redbacks” in the Celestion lineup as I was buying some of their other IRs Now as I build a rig scrolling and sampling literally hundreds of IRs in my library, I find myself using a Redback. Most convincing & present of all IRs....my setup includes both the HeadRush FRFR 108 & 112 speakers. Soo Sweet

Just thought to let you know that the Choptone IRs (the Fender pack that contains the Super Reverb, Tweed, Twin Reverb, & George Benson HR Deluxe) is my basis for my clean tone (the HR Deluxe) that are much better (IMHO) quality than the stock HeadRush cab models. (Just better tone and volume, IMO). YMMV.

Thank you @CandidPicker for the detailed instructions and descriptions! Seems you're enjoying your Gigboard a lot already!

I am GAS'ing for the Choptones Archon patches but it's a little bit expensive for me right now.

You're welcome. It got to be a point where paying more for extraneous outboard effects besides the inclusive HeadRush almost felt like extortion. Why should we be forced to pay more for what we already owned, but was still desirous of?

The answer was found by realizing that the HeadRush has almost every effect imaginable onboard, but the parameters within the effects are how you dial in your desired tone and sound. No one is going to magically blink their eyes and give you what you need. The job first involves learning how to adjust the parameters, then applying what you know. Just like learning how to do your job correctly once you've been trained how to do the job.

Ask yourself: Would someone give you commendation and praise just to cause you to be proud of yourself? Perhaps. In this instance, I humbly submit that @littlebadboy directed me to Choptones, for which I am thankful to him. The rest of the commendation belongs to Jeff Gastineau, Sweetwater/InMusic tech, who patiently guided me through the minefield of pitfalls before discovering THE tone the HeadRush now has.

One reason I've kept to myself these past few weeks is because of my hectic schedule regards my now-sold amp and guitar effects. TBH, the HeadRush Gigboard and FRFR108 for many people may prove to be a more cost-effective solution that will replace rather amp and effects altogether. For tone purists, maybe not. But for those who seek high quality emulated amps, effects, cabs, and mic models at a much lower price point than boutique gear, the HeadRush Gigboard and FRFR108 is a healthy and viable alternative.

without sound clips this is all just talk.

Thanks for your input. I'd prefer to teach you how to work with the HeadRush, rather than talk at you. The reason for my withholding soundclips is because my recording abilities are subpar and therefore would not represent a good cross-section of what's being reported here. There are plentiful YouTube videos that are both instructional and provide acceptable representations of some of the Gigboard's capabilities.

One separate reason for my withholding soundclips is because of our respective ears. What sounds good to me, may not to you. Since our tastes are subjective, I'd prefer to not present soundclips because I'd prefer to let people judge based on what they've personally created, not what I've accomplished myself.

If you're sincerely interested in the Gigboard, why not visit a local retailer after learning how to tweak some parameters, and try your own hand at creating a rig yourself? Granted, my Gigboard had already been paid for and arrived at my place before I brought it to a GC to hear a floor model FRFR108, but the interim time allowed me to create a clean rig that served as what my ears might prefer. Creating your own rig and putting the device through its paces might give you the inspiration to own a HeadRush altogether. :)

i’m just kidding you CP— ‘useless without pics/clips’ is something the kids on the computer say.

Thanks for your input. I'd prefer to teach you how to work with the HeadRush, rather than talk at you. The reason for my withholding soundclips is because my recording abilities are subpar and therefore would not represent a good cross-section of what's being reported here. There are plentiful YouTube videos that are both instructional and provide acceptable representations of some of the Gigboard's capabilities.

One separate reason for my withholding soundclips is because of our respective ears. What sounds good to me, may not to you. Since our tastes are subjective, I'd prefer to not present soundclips because I'd prefer to let people judge based on what they've personally created, not what I've accomplished myself.

If you're sincerely interested in the Gigboard, why not visit a local retailer after learning how to tweak some parameters, and try your own hand at creating a rig yourself? Granted, my Gigboard had already been paid for and arrived at my place before I brought it to a GC to hear a floor model FRFR108, but the interim time allowed me to create a clean rig that served as what my ears might prefer. Creating your own rig and putting the device through its paces might give you the inspiration to own a HeadRush altogether. :)

It makes good sense to check back with Celestion's & Choptone's websites for additional IR patches.

The Gigboard offered a no-charge option for one of 2 of their small IR bundles (3 IRs in 4 separate settings, IIRC) that was supplied with the HeadRush when purchased new. I've not tried these yet, but may think about putting together a 2nd setlist line-up to add to my current setlist that could be switched out with the BANK feature.

An alternative might be to consider additional IRs that would supplement my IR library for future use.

i do want to hear your george benson however!

Check the Choptone's website...they've got clips there...! The N-FEND pack...

Be sure to understand that the gain/volume parameters are NOT what my Gigboard currently display...several of them are "pushing the front end" more than my tastes. The 1st clip especially with the Super Reverb...I've not got that one dialed in, but check the last several with the HR Deluxe...the clips sound all F-crunchy at first...yet you can dial all that back and obtain really decent cleans as displayed in the 3rd or 4th setting...

Last edited:

Am listening to the "Archer" Pack now. Gotta say, it's much heavier riffs than I'd personally use. There are some gorgeous cleans with drop-tuning within that IR package, but the sheer number of options available are best employed for high-gain fans (sheepishly turns away from metal)

The price tag is essentially for the amp model itself, plus the plethora of cab and mic options. Likely well worth the investment, but more than I'd ever need.

Just browsing among the IR packs...check out WestCoast Vol. 1. I thought you might be interested; it's closer to your budget....

Just thought...for old school classic tones, the Plexxxy Vol 1. Pack piqued my interest...each of the guitars sounded really good through the cab/mic combos...

Last edited:
Spent some time with the Gigboard this afternoon, and am somewhat perplexed regards my crunch rig.

Methinks the build is correct, but the rig "eats" bass and mids...the tone is voiced kind of nasally, not warm, rich, full, etc. Will check the amp model parameters (specifically the bass & mids) as well as the boost & overdrive tone settings, and try then again Sunday afternoon...need the guitar's 3-way toggle to be good for both neck and bridge pickups...

Also will check the clean and smooth rigs for bridge pickup volume (treble side seemed quieter when switching the guitar's 3-way toggle from neck to bridge). Pulled the octaver from the EJ Dover rig...the high gain setting could also use some EQ tweaks here and there...

The goal is warm, phat, rhythm with just enough mids on the bridge pup cutting through to stand out in a mix for all 4 rigs. Will report either Sunday or Monday when time allows...

Spent some time with the Gigboard this afternoon, and am somewhat perplexed regards my crunch rig.

Methinks the build is correct, but the rig "eats" bass and mids...the tone is voiced kind of nasally, not warm, rich, full, etc. Will check the amp model parameters (specifically the bass & mids) as well as the boost & overdrive tone settings, and try then again Sunday afternoon...need the guitar's 3-way toggle to be good for both neck and bridge pickups...

Also will check the clean and smooth rigs for bridge pickup volume (treble side seemed quieter when switching the guitar's 3-way toggle from neck to bridge). Pulled the octaver from the EJ Dover rig...the high gain setting could also use some EQ tweaks here and there...

The goal is warm, phat, rhythm with just enough mids on the bridge pup cutting through to stand out in a mix for all 4 rigs. Will report either Sunday or Monday when time allows...

Made some adjustments to the tone across my setlist of rigs. Checked tone at various FRFR volume levels and am happy with the results. CLEAN does the warm, phat thing, SMOOTH, the singing LEAD 800 EL34 thing. CRUNCH, a 6L6 High Gain Mod gritty tone; EJ DOVER, a singing '69 Plexi LEAD that's oozes plenty of fuzzy/overdriven tones.

I think my adjustments are what they're supposed to be now, both at lower FRFR volumes and higher ones...the guitar volume knob makes all the difference between clean and just beyond the verge of break-up...can now see the practical application of this for live performance...

Back