Fractal FM3 / FC12 / EV-1s / Temple Audio Duo 17 & 34

Images promised. Dilemma solved.

Fractal FM3 & Duo 17 Temple Audio Board
JenGYUX.jpg

FM3 / Duo 17 (Left Side View of FASlink XLRMOD Jack)
39wAonE.jpg

FM3 / Duo 17 (Right Side View of XLRMOD Speaker Outs)
v6uuDLF.jpg

Fractal FC12 Foot Controller & 2x EV-1 Expression Pedals; Temple Audio Duo 34 Board
o2hvNah.jpg

FC12 / Duo34 Right Side View of FASlink XLRMOD Jacks). (Will likely remove XLRMOD and invert to bring upright)
5XMwvPH.jpg

FC12 / Duo 34 (Reverse View of TRS ¼" & FASlink XLR Connectors)
8zjrU6l.jpg

You did a beautiful job putting this together and wiring it up!

:eek: What are you going to do with all of that on open mic night? Looks like it's growing quite large.

It's almost like a sectional couch. One large section for putting up my feet, the smaller for sitting. They connect via XLR cable. The smaller unit will likely sit up on a music stand at an angle; the larger unit next to it on the floor in front. The smaller unit has limited use; the foot switches on the music stand would be perhaps for switching between preset banks; I've not programmed these in yet.

You did a beautiful job putting this together and wiring it up!

My plans were somewhat detoured today. It was planned that I put breakfast on the table before I headed off today. (It was a crunchy nuts and twigs day. I really wanted a soft-boiled eggcup with 2 sausage on toast. It was a crunchy nuts and twigs day instead.)

My day was filled with various tasks. Lots of writing. Once the cables arrived, it took about 45 minutes to thread and secure the cables with zip ties.

The dilemma of trying to solve how to attach the respective units to the board will be finished Thursday. It was really a bear lining the perforated board up with the screw wells this past Saturday. My brother provided his woodworker/carpenter's guidance and steady hand. My job was merely letting him in, checking with the manual, and directing him to what needed doing. Once we understood what was needed, my brother used his phone's flashlight and magnifier so I could see what I was doing. With a firm and deliberate turning motion using a precision screwdriver drill bit, the star bit hex screws seated themselves into the wells.

I've got about eight remaining 6/40 ⅜" gun screws with washers that might hold the board securely. My worry is that if the board gets dinked around in transit or on stage, the screws could tear out of their wells. The hopeful solution will be utilizing some M3.5 .60 8mm nylon Philips screws that will replace all attached gun screws. (My preference is to be safe rather than sorry.) I'd thought some bushings might provide a wider surface with which the screws will be secured and rest beneath.

This is really all lovely occupational therapy that keeps me happy and from overdoing or overthinking it. It also help me focus on the task at hand, instead of experiencing numerous distractions that overwhelm and cause errors. While it's OK to laugh at one's foibles, it's even more irritating when someone else points them out. Thank God my brother recognizes my inept nature. Or maybe I'll understand things. I'm only human.

Younger brother will arrive after dinner tonight to put finishing touches on the board. Not 100% sure the nylon screws will do their job; will need to wait and see. Have already researched necessary ingredients for this "recipe."

DTR is chomping at the bit with this...he'll need to wait...

UPDATE:

Inverted the FASlink XLRMOD, removed and reinstalled EV-1s screw fasteners, adding extras for 4 corner stability. Inserted TRS plugs into jacks. Set foot controller on floor. Pluggerd in FASlink. Switched FM3 on. Lit up like a pro.

Someday I'll be able to bring this into a dyslexic sports bar and have some fun.

I'm hearing a definite Toto 'Africa' influence in the keyboard part on Last Train Home.

I have no idea what amp Mayer used for that one, I couldn't take my ear away from the keys - nostalgia!
That would be because Lenny Castro (Toto Percussionist) and Greg Phillinganes (Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson, Touring Toto and many more) played on it.

Another question: Those devices all seem to be "made" to be on the floor. Why do you even need pedalboards for them?

Another question: Those devices all seem to be "made" to be on the floor. Why do you even need pedalboards for them?

They are, but Fractal does not sell correct size gig bags for transport. By contrast, Temple Audio makes gig bags for all sizes of their boards. It might seem counter-intuitive to put my Fractal units on a pedalboard, but many times, setting up and breaking down one's gear on short notice requires convenient, all-in-one boards that just require XLR and instrument connections.

Time from instance host calls my name for open-mic to playing time, less than 3 minutes. Tune up, maybe another 90 seconds.

Without the pedalboards, I'd need to carry the separate units in 2 or 3 trips to/away the stage (one trip is impossible because of the number of items required). Then connect all cables.

Time for this type of set-up/breakdown, 5 to 6 minutes.

Time is precious to open-mic hosts. Saves time and effort.

They are, but Fractal does not sell correct size gig bags for transport. By contrast, Temple Audio makes gig bags for all sizes of their boards. It might seem counter-intuitive to put my Fractal units on a pedalboard, but many times, setting up and breaking down one's gear on short notice requires convenient, all-in-one boards that just require XLR and instrument connections.

Time from instance host calls my name for open-mic to playing time, less than 3 minutes. Tune up, maybe another 90 seconds.

Without the pedalboards, I'd need to carry the separate units in 2 or 3 trips to/away the stage (one trip is impossible because of the number of items required). Then connect all cables.

Time for this type of set-up/breakdown, 5 to 6 minutes.

Time is precious to open-mic hosts. Saves time and effort.

Oh, I see. No bags means you still need a way to carry and transport them.

Still, this seems like an awefully large rig for an open mic. My Atomic AA3 is the size of one big pedal. The AA12 is the size of about 4 standard sized pedals side-by-side. This rig is much bigger than that. I mean, if it works, that's great. I've wanted to try the Axe stuff for a while. I don't even normally take my 12 though, when I play live. Since I never need more than 2-3 tones (plus a switch for solo settings) the AA3 is what I almost always take.

Oh, I see. No bags means you still need a way to carry and transport them.

Still, this seems like an awfully large rig for an open mic. My Atomic AA3 is the size of one big pedal. The AA12 is the size of about 4 standard sized pedals side-by-side. This rig is much bigger than that. I mean, if it works, that's great. I've wanted to try the Axe stuff for a while. I don't even normally take my 12 though, when I play live. Since I never need more than 2-3 tones (plus a switch for solo settings) the AA3 is what I almost always take.

Yes, correct. Just like you'd need some type of bag to carry your sports gear in. It would be difficult to manage transporting your sports gear without some type of bag.

I'd still require a way to protect the gear, pedalboard or not, during transit. I'm older now, and would be concerned if something happened to my gear. Since I'd like to keep this until its useful lifetime wears out, my feeling is to provide a safe environment for it while the gear remains in my household.

Fractal makes both the Axe FX III and the FM3. The Axe requires a hardshell case if you're hoping to gig. The Axe has 4 times the processing power of the FM3, which means that you can stack 2 amps and up to 4 cabs. The FM3 allows 1 amp, 1 cab, but the stereo effects with a pair of speakers is the stuff dreams are made of. With the FM3, is wise to be economic so as to avoid overdoing it with CPU usage. Not the case with the Axe III. There are workarounds for minimizing FM3 CPU usage, and I've only begun to explore these. I've made numerous changes to the presets in order to dial in the tone and sound that my head hears as my ideal.

The Axe III would provide way more than you'd ever need for a gig, but the reason my FM3 was purchased was to recreate almost every amp and rig I've ever previously owned. I've not quite spent enough time building presets and scenes for that to happen yet, and there's a lot of ground you can cover with perhaps 3 or 4 presets and 3 or 4 scenes within each preset.

In future posts, you'll see what past "gear" I've worked with, and what virtual gear comprises the rigs. Some are vintage rigs, some more modern. It's almost like being a mechanic who works on cars, old and new, restoring them. You get your hands dirty at first, but you learn what to build off of. I usually begin a preset with clean, then add saturation or fuzz with modulation.

My FC12 foot controller has a programmed HOME switch to bring me back to the first preset in my collection of presets. I've still yet to build an "edge of break-up" amp rig, but am learning how to do so. There are numerous factory rigs you can choose. I simply like selecting an amp and cab, adding some reverb and automating the process of dialing in tones. It's easy to do, and doesn't require any A/Bing or adjusting after-the-fact.

As Einstein once said, "A car can take you A to B, but your imagination can take you anywhere." This doesn't mean your imagination is better than reality, though. Sometimes, it's better to know what you're doing than guess. Don't try figuring things out unless you have a trusted reference source. YouTube G66 channel is your friend.

One additional thought I might suggest is, in the words of Stephen Hawking, "Look up and see the stars and wonder about the future, instead of looking at your feet."

I guess I'd be smarter trying to learn about things up above, than where my feet are.

Last edited:
I use a Columbia diaper bag to hold the foot controller and expression pedal for my Helix rack. The rest is obviously in a rack case. Makes for a one handed load in.

Congrats. It did seem like a rather lengthy post, didn't it? Hope DTR's curiosity was satisfied. Hope you appreciate my standing firm regards my response.

Last edited:
Congrats. It did seem like a rather lengthy post, didn't it? Hope DTR's curiosity was satisfied. Hope you appreciate my standing firm regards my response.

The AA3 is small enough that I have a slot for it in my gig bag. No need for a separate bag for it. Definitely understand the need for a convenient way to transport, it just seemed that the pedal boards were making the whole thing even bigger to transport. Especially if you were taking the additional FC12.

What really matters... is it significantly, easily recognizably, better SONICALLY than your previous modelers?

One note I've made...

Is that the FM3's ability to maintain cool operating temperatures is much like your car's cooling system.

Your car has a grill which allows air flow to circulate to the radiator. The radiator fan draws air through the radiator, which in turn, cools the coolant inside, which circulates through the engine and keeps the car working correctly.

The FM3 has a port underside the unit, which, if blocked, will hinder air flow. There are lateral ports as well, either side which circulate air drawn by the fan within the FM3. if the FM3 overheats, it shuts down. If cooler temperatures, but not cold ones are maintained, the FM3 works within a normal operating range.

That being said, my units will not be traveling to desert oasis's, in the attic, or in my kitchen oven.

If you want a car that works correctly, you'll maintain it and keep it from overheating. Likewise, I'm not a glutton for punishment. Check your fluid levels. If you're lacking in this area, be sure to refill your engine fluids.

Why do I hear Boston's music in my ears? Ah, lovely.

...What really matters... is it significantly, easily recognizably, better SONICALLY than your previous modelers?

To answer your question, yes, the tone and sound quality is far above my previous HeadRush Gigboard quality. The sampling is very high quality. There are additional presets and cabinet models online for paid download; I've not yet bothered with these, the Fractal quality is that good. Here are some YouTube vids that describe both clean and distorted rigs. Leon Todd is the host.

Back