PRS Archon FX Loop Noise Solutions

I deviated a bit on the forum while searching for the solution for my MT15 ... do not own the Archon. Just thought that maybe there is a universal solution to the FX loop problem.

I think a part of the issue is tube-based vs solid state effects loops.

Yes, it was definitely the pedal, which SUCKS because a 10 band EQ in the loop of an Archon would make it do almost everything you could ever want.

That said, there is a reason some people avoid loops altogether. There is NO standard of impedance of pedals. If you hang out at TGP much in the amp forum, after a while, it seems like there is more than one complaint with the loop of almost every amp made, followed by many other people saying they never had an issue with it. It's because all these pedals vary wildly in impedances. Plus, chaining 3-4-22 of them together that all put out a different impedance can further cloud the issue.

Yes, sometimes a group will identify a particular pedal, or brand, that doesn't work with a particular amp loop. It can almost always be traced to the impedance. I read so much about this stuff a couple years ago, when I had 6-7 tube amps in the house and every single one had different things it "liked" or "didn't like" in the loop, that I resigned myself to treating each amp like it's own thing and putting only pedals that "worked" in the loop of that amp. But the 10 band EQ was noisy in all of them and again a huge disappointment because of the tone shaping it allowed. It was GREAT, but too noisy to live with.

All that said, my two relatively meager TC pedals (Flashback and Arena Verb) both have done great in every loop.

Have you tried cleaning the jacks of the 10-band with deoxit on a q-tip? I think I read somewhere that sometimes that fixes it

I've wondered for awhile if a buffer pedal at the end of the effects loop chain with adjustable impedance could be a solution to effects loop noise issues. Turn the knob until the impedance matches and then put anything you want in front of it.

I've wondered for awhile if a buffer pedal at the end of the effects loop chain with adjustable impedance could be a solution to effects loop noise issues. Turn the knob until the impedance matches and then put anything you want in front of it.
That is definitely worthy of consideration, IMHO. Does such a thing exist? I thought about putting my Barber Launch Pad at the end and seeing if that worked, but I never got around to it.

What year is your archon from? It sounds like you need to do the loop mod.

Once I did the loop mod on mine, everything got much better.

A couple pedals still make noise. If I set my tc flashback into looper mode, that adds a lot of noise. If my behringer eq is off it's silent but if I turn it on its extremely noisy. It's nowhere near as bad if I put it in front of the amp instead. I also tried putting my tc hall of fame and flashback into buffered bypass instead of true bypass and that was extremely noisy.

My theory is that the impedances of the pedals and the effects loop return need to match and that when I put the pedal in buffered mode it changes the impedance. No idea if this is how it actually works.

Buffered bypass only changes the impedances in bypass, when they are engaged the buffers are always active.

I'm going to take some advice and get an ISP Decimate...

I have had lots of amps in 35 years and only one that gave me loop issues was the Egnater Mod 50.

I have 3 other amps now and they have quiet loops. Mine is a 2019 Archon 100.

I tried no effects, different effects, cables, and still hum/hiss.

I absolutely love the tones from this amp and it takes pedals so well. I'll grab an ISP Decimate and live with it. :)

I actually traded my Archon for an MT15. Much prefer a head+cab configuration. So far it’s been very quiet, loop included..

Yes, there is a single tube that only drives the FX loop. Doesn’t affect the sound of the amp, only what goes through the loop.
My solution as to remove the bad tube from V6 and then add a 5751. The 5751 lowers gain from the loop driver but doesn't impact tone or amp gain. It does seem to lower the loop volume when using gain, so that when I am playing and engage the loop, there is a slight volume drop. You can compensate if your pedals have volume our output/level controls.

Right now I'm back to a JJ ECC83S.

I have to try the 5751 again to see if it really is lowering volume much. I know when you turn up the master volume on the gain channel to about 9:00 or higher, it's not that noticable, if at all. So the lower hiss using the 5751, may be worth it. The noise is only ever noticable to me on the clean channel and the volume drop is only on the gain channel.

So, high gain tube - more hiss on clean channel using loop but not much volume drop on gain. Low gain tube like the 5751 and I believe the Sovtek 12AT7? I forget that tube. But the lower gain tube provides less hiss on clean but a little volume drop using the loop on channel 2/gain. I have to double check as that may only be when the master is below 9:00.

It is nice how the 5751 drops the hiss.
I don't even think I need a noise gate. Haven't used one in many years.

Back