Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Hello, again,

Thought to revisit this post and bring you up to date. I've given this some thought and realized that many of the stock cab models within the HeadRush are good quality cabs models, but not necessarily the best quality ones.

Thanks to @littlebadboy and one other forum member from another forum, it's been possible for me to research additional IR cab models; downloading several useful ones.

My HeadRush library now contains the Naked Fender Vol. 1 and Plexxxy Vol. 1 Choptones packs.

Gotta say, when using the IRs the way the Choptones video describes, the tone gets big!

My CRUNCH rig now sounds like EVH's brown sound, much to my delight! I've also tweaked my EJ DOVER rig so that the amp model instead of a '69 Plexi amp model, now sports a '82 Plexi Mod 84, that sounds awesome paired with one of the Choptones 4x12 Marshall cab IRs.

Lastly the CLEAN & SMOOTH rigs received some EQ and boost level tweaks, so that CLEAN remains clean up until diming the guitar volume knob, and SMOOTH has been tweaked for EQ, gain, and level.

Most all is set for gain unity such that none of my rigs overloads the output before FRFR speaker.

I've tried to pace myself regards my schedule so that I don't overdo things too much. Am hoping that things will be not so much of a burden anymore, and that toiling away relentlessly will be easier on my back, which has been the source of my recent concern. This is why I've strongly suggested to folks who lift, to do so with their knees, not their back. Failure to learn from this only causes injury. The diet and exercise thing has been working, but strength-training is only as valuable as any other kind of training you may receive; unless you practice it, you won't remember it.

Last edited:
I am glad to be of service! I am also glad that you are enjoying it!

Yep tree hs Choptones library could be addictive as there are tons of options to burn your wallet!

Most all is set for gain unity such that none of my rigs overloads the output before FRFR speaker.

How do you do this? Do you go through each virtual pedal and adjust the gain/vol levels? Do you use a db meter?

I am glad to be of service! I am also glad that you are enjoying it!

Yep tree hs Choptones library could be addictive as there are tons of options to burn your wallet!

It's somewhat of a blessing that the upfront cost of these IR packs are comparatively easy on the wallet (read: exc. quality for cheap) and the smaller IR packs are reasonably priced. There is a least one other websites I'd direct you to: The OwnHammer website, and the familiar RedWirez.

How do you do this? Do you go through each virtual pedal and adjust the gain/vol levels? Do you use a db meter?

The concept of gain unity is to set your effects gain and levels such that either 1) your output block does not require level attenuation, (which usually compromises your best tone, gain, and volume) or 2) your output block requires attenuation so that your FRFR clip meter light does not light up. To prevent FRFR speaker signal input overload, merely access your output block and decrease your output block level so that the LED slider bars do not go into the red.

To set your effects gain, tone and levels, yes, it is necessary to double-tap on each effect separately and set your parameters correctly. The benefit is that you can listen to how each parameter setting sounds before you exit the parameter setting window, and proceed to the next effect. It's best to begin with an amp model, then add a cab towards the end of your signal chain, but essentially, you can put modulation effects after your cab if needs be. I prefer to put modulation effects between amp and cab, and non-modulation effects before amp. Remember to save your work after each parameter change, otherwise the HR may not recognize the parameter changes if done in succession without saving each time.

(This was a tip I learned from a more seasoned player who taught me how to set gain unity on a PA system for our Thursday open-mic jams. It was my job to help set up the PA and perform soundcheck prior to the evening gig. Your effects or amp gain and level settings need to be optimized for best tone and volume, then your HR output prior to powered speaker needs to be attenuated so you don't overload the speaker.)

The owner's manual, unfortunately, doesn't help you in this concern. IIRC, both the HR or FRFR manual doesn't speak or how to go about this in detail. What I've given you above is a summary of a simple DIY. If necessary, the YT 'HeadRush FX' video tutorials describe the nuances more aptly than the manuals do. Though they aren't the easiest to comprehend quickly, they provide a better overview of what the manuals describe.

If your ear is well-trained, you'll discern a variety of EQ and gain settings when you tweak them within each effect. It may require a 15 to 20% setting change to hear each level appreciably, but once your rig is how you like the tone and level, you'll know.

It's essentially how one detects the mood or nuances in someone else's voice or body language. If you can "read" the speaker's emotions from just their voice or body language, you can tailor your responses accordingly for better "conversational quality." By hearing how the "person speaking" is responding to your adjustments, you'll know whether your "conversation" went well or not.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed instructions, @CandidPicker !

Regards a dB meter, the output block within HeadRush has a horizontal LED bar that lights up just like a vertical mixer LED meter does. While you don't need to monitor dB pressure levels, the output level will tell you whether your signal to your FRFR is too hot or not. Too much output (red LEDs) will spike the speaker and cause it to clip; (green or yellow LEDs) are within "safe" levels.

An illustration is this: consider what would happen if you failed to water a tree. The tree would eventually stop producing fruit, would wither, and die. The same goes for a runner in a long-distance footrace. Without hydrating, the runner would become dehydrated, would experience cramps, and would be forced to forfeit the race.

In both instances, too much output level is like over-saturating either the tree or runner. Too little, and the tone "dries up" and dies off.

Knowing the correct balance is vital to both a healthy tree, and finishing the footrace.

UPDATE:

The HeadRush location is receiving an upgrade...

My nephew is visiting today for dinner, and a work-project I've asked him to assist with is renovating my "cinder-block fireplace" bookshelf space, where my music study books, some of my old college books, and 3-ring binders, as well as my HeadRush FRFR cab is located. Will post a "before & after" pic so you can understand what's being accomplished. The purpose is to reclaim an additional shelf that was there prior to my Brunetti combo amp, but was relinquished for need of shelf space. Will need 2 additional 4x8x16-inch blocks to complete the job.

Will post later this evening, once the project is completed.

Re-arranged the concrete cinder block bookshelf. Reclaimed a shelf that was previously sacrificed when my Brunetti amp resided in the left-side image largest open section. The 2nd image displays the reduced section size, and the upper shelf that was not there before. Only needed two 4x8x16 blocks plus my nephew's height and muscles handing down the blocks to me. The lad put everything back with only my handing the blocks back to him, no stepladder needed...

The bookshelf is amazingly stable, and does not shift nor cause floor damage because the building is a single-floor slab concrete foundation. Weighs about 850 pounds without the added books or gear, but is solidly built, though no concrete mortar was applied in the build process. Takes 2 strong folks to assemble/disassemble. Wood shelves are 2x (1" H x 6" D x 5' L), secured with 1" H x 3" W x 14 " D pine. The shelves have never bowed at all, that's how strongly built this bookcase was put together. This was originally an idea from college dorm life, when a smaller height bookcase housed my stereo gear and word processor typewriter, back in 1992.

p48Ron9.jpg
3NBEjAB.jpg

Last edited:
In light of the recent question regards Amp Modelers, I thought to bring back this thread from recent history and include some new tweaks to the Gigboard.

My current 4-rig setlist includes CLEAN, SMOOTH, CRUNCH, and EJ DOVER rigs. The new tweaks include adding MULTI-CHORUS DEFAULT ST to both the CLEAN & CRUNCH rigs, after the AMP, but before the CAB.

The EJ DOVER amp model was swapped out to RB B (Bogner Blue Channel) for a lead tone. EQs & Presence were tweaked as well, for slightly more clarity (read: less muffled tones). THE EJ DOVER's Tri-Fuzz was removed from the signal chain. Plenty of high-gain lead currently with the Bogner Blue channel.

As time wears on, I'll likely adjust some of my settings again for whatever is more pleasing to my ear at the time. The most important thing I personally can do is to listen and discern what is important, rather than say, "I haven't been..." and lose out on understanding what provides the most benefit.

I'm gonna drag this one out of hibernation, simply because I missed it before.

I am a junky for multi-fx pedal boards. I used to swear by Digitech as i had been using an RP and BP series controller for a few years. They could produce some sweet tones, if you had the patience to squat or kneel and tweek the thing. Being all digital, it could be a bit of a chore navigating through the menu without being connected to a laptop. Drum tracks were iffy, but i rarely used them.

Since buying my Boss Katana 100, i have since realized that the Boss tones are much better for my tastes. However, the Katana is still somewhat cumbersome to program through a laptop, to achieve sonic bliss. So, i found me a Boss GT-6 to go with my GT-6B. For what its worth to anyone reading, these older boss multi's are phenominal. Just the pre-loaded patches alone will keep me busy for awhile noodling and experimenting. Although these are technically digital units, they have analog controls that make them user friendly. There is laptop interface program that works with these units, but i havent tried that yet.

I'm gonna drag this one out of hibernation, simply because I missed it before...

...Since buying my Boss Katana 100, i have since realized that the Boss tones are much better for my tastes. However, the Katana is still somewhat cumbersome to program through a laptop, to achieve sonic bliss. So, i found me a Boss GT-6 to go with my GT-6B. For what its worth to anyone reading, these older boss multi's are phenominal. Just the pre-loaded patches alone will keep me busy for awhile noodling and experimenting. Although these are technically digital units, they have analog controls that make them user friendly. There is laptop interface program that works with these units, but i havent tried that yet.

Good to hear that you're making use of your older Boss effects board units. My only caveat with my HeadRush now is that HR corporate suggested to NOT upgrade my Mac OS to Big Sur, because HeadRush's current OS was not compatible yet.

Unfortunately, my mobile devices had already upgraded to iOS 14 and were not recognized by my Mac, still at Catalina's most recent OS. It was necessary to upgrade to Big Sur, despite the cautions of HeadRush and Waves against doing so.

Since none of my regular workflow involves connection of HeadRush or creation of audio production which would require Waves, the OS upgrade to Big Sur went without a hitch.

Both HeadRush & Waves reassured me that they would issue OS updates for their products as soon as possible, but to not expect to be able to connect or use their products for 3rd party downloads of IR or rig patches. Incompatibility would prevent this from occurring.

So'k. Can live without adding to my IR library for now. Will await HR's and Waves' Big Sur compatibility updates once they're available.

Either that, or purchase more IR lots and store them on my iMac until time to upload to my HeadRush. Either way, the purpose is served.

Last edited:
...Since buying my Boss Katana 100, i have since realized that the Boss tones are much better for my tastes. However, the Katana is still somewhat cumbersome to program through a laptop, to achieve sonic bliss. So, i found me a Boss GT-6 to go with my GT-6B. For what its worth to anyone reading, these older boss multi's are phenominal. Just the pre-loaded patches alone will keep me busy for awhile noodling and experimenting. Although these are technically digital units, they have analog controls that make them user friendly. There is laptop interface program that works with these units, but i havent tried that yet.

This somewhat leads to the question: If the Katana is unwieldy with a computer, would something else also not have similar qualities? Not so sway you in the HeadRush direction, but consider the cost-effectiveness and ease of use factors compared to your current rig. Others might suggest Helix Stomp or LT, or even Neural. Gotta say for lower expense and ease of use, the large-screen intuitive GUI HeadRush Gigboard is what floats my boat. The YT vids will help you from the beginning; dive deeper with the owner's manual and tech support who can assist with the not-so-obvious questions.

Last edited:
This somewhat leads to the question: If the Katana is unwieldy with a computer, would something else also not have similar qualities? Not so sway you in the HeadRush direction, but consider the cost-effectiveness and ease of use factors compared to your current rig. Others might suggest Helix Stomp or LT, or even Neural. Gotta say for lower expense and ease of use, the large-screen intuitive GUI HeadRush Gigboard is what floats my boat. The YT vids will help you from the beginning; dive deeper with the owner's manual and tech support who can assist with the not-so-obvious questions.

It really boiled down to what i could afford at the time. The Boss was half the cost of the Headrush or helix, and still did things I wanted it to do. As for the pedals, like I said, I am a junky. A fickle junky. I have had and tried a wide range of pedals over the years from vintage to modern. Some good, some bad, some meh. Boss has proven to be a standard in the industry. Everything from them that has passed under my foot has been rock solid, so that is what I gravitate towards. Now, keep in mind, i am an experimental guitarist. (Like a experimental physicist, but without the math.) I dont do gigs, i go to gigs to figure tones out, then i replicate them in my lab. I cant read tabs or sheet music, i can write songs, but not the music for them. I just do this for fun, nothing more.

I am a junky for multi-fx pedal boards. I used to swear by Digitech as i had been using an RP and BP series controller for a few years. They could produce some sweet tones, if you had the patience to squat or kneel and tweek the thing. Being all digital, it could be a bit of a chore navigating through the menu without being connected to a laptop. Drum tracks were iffy, but i rarely used them.

Since buying my Boss Katana 100, i have since realized that the Boss tones are much better for my tastes. However, the Katana is still somewhat cumbersome to program through a laptop, to achieve sonic bliss. So, i found me a Boss GT-6 to go with my GT-6B. For what its worth to anyone reading, these older boss multi's are phenominal. Just the pre-loaded patches alone will keep me busy for awhile noodling and experimenting. Although these are technically digital units, they have analog controls that make them user friendly. There is laptop interface program that works with these units, but i havent tried that yet.
Hello fellow multifx junkie! I started with Zoom when I was a poor teenager in a 3rd world country. When I came over stateside starting a new life with limited income, I opted for the cheaper Digitech RPs. Then, I moved on to the Boss GT-3, GT-6, GT-1, and the GT-100. When the IR technology started, I updated to my current Headrush Gigboard. IRs are awesome!

In my opinion, it would be worth it if you consolidate all your multifx and amps in favor of a newer tech modeler with IT loading capability within your budget with an FRFR cab.

It really boiled down to what i could afford at the time. The Boss was half the cost of the Headrush or helix, and still did things I wanted it to do. As for the pedals, like I said, I am a junky. A fickle junky. I have had and tried a wide range of pedals over the years from vintage to modern. Some good, some bad, some meh. Boss has proven to be a standard in the industry. Everything from them that has passed under my foot has been rock solid, so that is what I gravitate towards. Now, keep in mind, i am an experimental guitarist. (Like a experimental physicist, but without the math.) I dont do gigs, i go to gigs to figure tones out, then i replicate them in my lab. I cant read tabs or sheet music, i can write songs, but not the music for them. I just do this for fun, nothing more.

I think we all have our little addictions to things. For some, it's their phone. To others, it's more hard core stuff. In between exists a fine line that we know we dare not cross; so we dabble in the realm of what we're familiar with, hoping we never turn to the "dark side" where danger exists.

(So much for the dramatic intro). Same here, but my former addiction was boutique high-end gear (no one ever said I wasn't high class, though it felt like I was overcompensating for lack of chops). Soon, the money ran dry and it was necessary to "clean myself up." (Well, my only real reward at the end of the day was being able to sit with a drink and my feet up...). My sense of humor wasn't any better, law enforcement shows were almost too violent and bloody, cooking/travel and nature shows seemed innocent enough...

Then there was guitar in the afternoon. My effects array was likely the only thing that would change after I'd settled on an amp. And I owned several nice amps in my time, a Rivera Quiana 50W 1x12, several models of Mesa custom head and cabs, some used Fender Blues Deluxes, and the creme de la creme, a Fuchs ODS-50 head & 1x12 ported cab. After gradually stepping away from the open-mic gigging scene, my amps downsized to an Egnater 40W head/1x12 cab, then a Fuchs ODS-30 head/1x12 mini cab. Most recently, my Brunetti 35W Singleman 1x12 combo.

Today, my effects board is gone, and so are my amps, save for the HeadRush Gigboard, HR expression pedal, and 2 FRFR108s that flank either side of me as I type. My hope is that the Gigboard will be my "last legs" effort in owning gear, because my finances are on a fixed and limited income. I'm several years away from retirement, like many folks whose formative years were in the 1970s.

Many who read your post will identify with the "experimental guitarist" moniker you've named yourself, not only because like you, I, too, used to listen to other guitarists' rigs to determine how to imitate or replicate their tone. Some were kind enough to let me view up close their gear after the gig (they were more relaxed then), and I'd jot down a mental note of what effect they used, especially if I'd ask "How'd you get that tone on such-and-such a song...?" Then, depending on my budget, I'd try to cop their tone with a new effect that would replace some effect that was sold during the new effect's purchase. Perhaps my spending habits were unwise, but it became remarkably clear to me that if I desired something that I could work with and adjust as needed, that had both a decent stereo-type response that didn't cost more than any or my previous gear new, the HeadRush Gigboard was the path to take.

Without touting it's benefits, just realize that the Gigboard's sheer library of amp types, ranging from Blackface Tweeds, to Plexi's, to Superleads, to Vox, to Soldano, to Mesa, all with the ability to plug into most any uploaded HeadRush or generic cab IR you could put into the Gigboard. I can't even begin to tell you about the effects this thing has. Loads of 'em. Some of which I've not tried before.

If you are, as you say, an experimenter of sorts, my suggestion is that you'd be pleasantly surprised when you first create your own rig within the Gigboard and plug into an FRFR. If perhaps you need to feed an addiction, this thing goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds flat. Just ask your wife or intended for that thing that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds called the HeadRush Gigboard with an FRFR108, and you'd like it in your driveway no later than Xmas. Your only failing is if your wife puts a digital bathroom scale in the driveway Xmas morning. We'll watch for an obit later if things don't pan out.

Multi FX are very practical and cost efficient.

But they tend to be tech driven "checklist" products, and so are 'obsoleted' by the next one that has more features added to its checklist.

I don't think anyone ever remembers one for a particular sound. This is where individual pedals seem to have an advantage for their long term value. They are more single purpose, lending mixing and matching to be a nice fit as your sound evolves.

Which is not to say I would never buy one, the more expensive ones seem to have a longer life, the Kemper and AxeFX being notable. I'm also considering the Neural Quad Cortex if it lives up to the hype.

Just be aware they are more likely to end up as landfill/eWaste than individual pedals.

But they tend to be tech driven "checklist" products, and so are 'obsoleted' by the next one that has more features added to its checklist.

I don't think anyone ever remembers one for a particular sound. This is where individual pedals seem to have an advantage for their long term value. They are more single purpose, lending mixing and matching to be a nice fit as your sound evolves.

Which is not to say I would never buy one, the more expensive ones seem to have a longer life, the Kemper and AxeFX being notable. I'm also considering the Neural Quad Cortex if it lives up to the hype.

Just be aware they are more likely to end up as landfill/eWaste than individual pedals.

I think, but don't quote me on this, is that the OS of many recent multi-fx such as Helix & HeadRush is that they have USB connectivity, which means that their OS are upgradable. That in itself makes for a better product as well as provides the option for uploading your choice of IRs to the device which aren't usually included as stock items.

Neural, Axe-FX and Kemper are in their own class of devices being costlier but with more numerous features and adaptability. There are many who prefer these over less expensive devices for their features and range; my wallet at the time protested and said, "No dice," rather loudly, so it was necessary to think smaller/more budget-friendly.

You likely won't hear any particular artist being famous for any one sound he or she derived from a HeadRush...the HeadRush is almost limitless in its variety...the only possible amp I might wish to see be available for HeadRush might be a Fuchs ODS-50 or something of similar type...that indeed would fulfill my "craving" for the amp tone I seek...it may be possible with the OS upgrade to Big Sur we also might see some improvements which would add to the HeadRush's capabilities...that would make my Gigboard indispensable and unlikely to be landfill-bound for quite some time...and yes, I realize that the costlier devices already sport Fuchs...So'k, HeadRush, if one dials in things correctly, can come darned close to sounding "D-esque" if one puts in the effort...

Regards my evolving tastes in music, yes, multi-fx are designed to replace the usual effect/amp tone quests we almost all face during our lives. The ingenious part multi-fx is that the choices you have within the multi-fx are more than enough to satisfy most everyone's desire for their perfect tone/sound.

There may be a time in the future when I'd upgrade to something like Neural, but I'd need to start saving now so my wallet won't let moths begin flying around...fact.

Last edited:

The main reason they are 'replaced' is because the performance of the Processing units inside. For most people, they do not 'need' to upgrade as they don't push the processing units to the point of struggling to process the signal path. Of course, new features like colour or even touch screens add some more feature/functionality but often, its more down to the processing power and enabling more complex signal paths without running into issues. That separates some of the more expensive modellers from the cheaper ones that limit you to a single path (no split paths) and/or limited Blocks. Stomp may well have all the same FX/Amps etc but you are limited to just 8 blocks and you can run out of processing with certain signal chain layouts.

Other aspects, like adding Blutooth for example, makes it easier to tweak your patch rather than have to go through Pedal and its 'old' monochromatic screen. Having some app to create patches is a lot easier than trying to do it through the pedal itself - another aspect that newer modellers have added.

For many, a lot of the older modellers are perfectly fine. They don't need 40+ blocks in stereo with two different Amps and cabs in the chain, don't need a colour, touchscreen etc and so the older Multi-FX pedals are more than adequate. Its a bit like upgrading your mobile phone when all you do is make calls or text. Even when you do take pictures, the camera is more than adequate for the task - but people upgrade because the newer one has more camera options they will never use and the new processor will play the new games better if they ever decide to play them...

These are not remembered for a particular sound because they don't have a 'particular' sound because they don't do just 'one' thing. Its not like an individual pedal where you can say 'that's the 808 Tube Screamer' or Boss Blues Driver - most Modellers will have a Tube Screamer or Blues Driver FX but also numerous other FX, Amps, Cabs. They are a Jack of all trades and no-one (I know at least) buys a Multi-FX pedal for a particular sound, they buy them for the multitude of benefits a modeller offers which can vary from one musician to another. They can be used for from beginner to professional, from bedroom, to studio to live gigs etc and its the fact that they are useful tools in different ways to different musicians that they don't have that 'one' thing to all. For example, one musician may love them for fly gigs or their entire rig for live performances, another for home use as a creative or practice tool, another for their FX chain and another, its just their Amp/Cab for Front of House or DI into DAW.

As with every electronic product, they will likely end up being superseded by a new model with more processing power, more features, many of which you probably won't need/want - especially as the 'old' one has been updated with many new FX, Amps, Cabs etc and new features too. The new one may sound like its a 'big' upgrade, because it can now do 100+ blocks without struggling, has 1000's of Patch's, Presets, etc App, blutooth, colour touch screen, promises it sounds and 'feels' more like a real amp etc but the older one still sounds great and you haven't come close to reaching the limitations of its processor, filled all the user patch slots etc yet you still 'want' the newer one because its 'new' and the sales blurb makes it sound superior to make you want to upgrade...

Maybe a new one has some feature you want - depends on what you already have of course but mostly, its down to the fact that processors get more 'powerful'.

For many, a lot of the older modellers are perfectly fine. They don't need 40+ blocks in stereo with two different Amps and cabs in the chain, don't need a colour, touchscreen etc and so the older Multi-FX pedals are more than adequate. Its a bit like upgrading your mobile phone when all you do is make calls or text. Even when you do take pictures, the camera is more than adequate for the task - but people upgrade because the newer one has more camera options they will never use and the new processor will play the new games better if they ever decide to play them...

And this is why I am where I am. I like the older almost analog pedals. They seem to have a certain character about them that I find appealing. Yes, I've looked a the new modelers, and thought 'Gee that would be neat, but do I really need another $700 computer? I already have 3 computers that cost at least that much. What I need/found is a much less expensive multi-tasker that essentially does the same thing as the others, in a way that works best for me. I am reasonably frugal. I buy inexpensive guitars (SE's) Phones (Last years 4g Model) and Pedals (Used). Other than my Amps, I have yet to buy a new guitar or pedal with a few exceptions. I have bought new pedals, but they were extremely cheap, and I got what I paid for. I did not pay full price for my amps as 1.) they were on sale and 2.) I traded other equipment in to off set the cost. My A55E was new at time of purchase, but was marked down, and I traded in 4 other guitars to off set the cost. It's all about economics. How much do I really need to spend to find something that works for me? In this case, $130.00 plus $32.00 shipping. I am happy with my purchase, no need to sell me something I don't want or need.

...These are not remembered for a particular sound because they don't have a 'particular' sound because they don't do just 'one' thing. Its not like an individual pedal where you can say 'that's the 808 Tube Screamer' or Boss Blues Driver - most Modellers will have a Tube Screamer or Blues Driver FX but also numerous other FX, Amps, Cabs. They are a Jack of all trades and no-one (I know at least) buys a Multi-FX pedal for a particular sound, they buy them for the multitude of benefits a modeller offers which can vary from one musician to another. They can be used for from beginner to professional, from bedroom, to studio to live gigs etc and its the fact that they are useful tools in different ways to different musicians that they don't have that 'one' thing to all. For example, one musician may love them for fly gigs or their entire rig for live performances, another for home use as a creative or practice tool, another for their FX chain and another, its just their Amp/Cab for Front of House or DI into DAW.

As with every electronic product, they will likely end up being superseded by a new model with more processing power, more features, many of which you probably won't need/want - especially as the 'old' one has been updated with many new FX, Amps, Cabs etc and new features too. The new one may sound like its a 'big' upgrade, because it can now do 100+ blocks without struggling, has 1000's of Patch's, Presets, etc App, blutooth, colour touch screen, promises it sounds and 'feels' more like a real amp etc but the older one still sounds great and you haven't come close to reaching the limitations of its processor, filled all the user patch slots etc yet you still 'want' the newer one because its 'new' and the sales blurb makes it sound superior to make you want to upgrade...

Maybe a new one has some feature you want - depends on what you already have of course but mostly, its down to the fact that processors get more 'powerful'.

Well said. Most times many of us invest in new computers is because we either exhaust our hard drive space, or the processing speed becomes painfully slow...for example, how many times have you heard some customer service tech say, "Hang on, my computer is a bit slow today..." Well, yeah. Many mainframe service support computers run on older platforms and aren't powerful (read: have faster processor speed) enough to handle the loose nut behind the wheel that is entering data faster than a banshee.

And, agreed, yes, like many of you, I'll never fully appreciate the entire variety of effects or amps, simply because my ears prefer something else. If a spanking new multi-fx unit contains an extra 1000 new effects/amps/presets, many of them will be useless IMHO anyways. Sure, there will be some that will knock my socks off. Most of them, though...

As Bob Seger once said, "Take those old records off the shelf...I'm gonna listen to 'em by myself...today's music ain't got the same ol' soul..."

"Just give me that old time rock and roll"

Neural are now getting in on the act - new for NAMM...

https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex/

NEURAL_Quad-Cortex-v1.jpg

And has a touchscreen too...

Had been doing some research and it seems that a new guitar is not on my want list, though saving for a better multi-effects/amp modeler is. And, true to form, the Neural Quad Cortex was there. Reading up on their mainframe, it seems that the Neural mothership is lagging behind on shipping out to dealers because they need to be sure their software is up to snuff with certain DAWs....Pro Tools being the primary bugaboo. Neural has also upgraded some of the PCB board's components because beta-testers have returned some unacceptable results from sampling the product at the consumer level.

Dang, that thing looks hawt!

I tried their Plini modeler, and really liked the sound, but I couldn't get the latency low enough for it not to bother me. Will definitely be following to see if it's everything they promise, but won't be putting down money for vaporware of something there's not even audio clips for (even if it *is* refundable).

After visiting the Neural website, yes, DANG, the Plini plug-in sounds awesome! I've not considered this, but will also put this on the wish list if ever I make it to home recording 102 class. Thus far, I've put my name and CC in for pre-order of a Quad Cortex and will wait the prescribed time until Neural begins shipping to dealers.
(Just a heads-up! Sweetwater.com will be the only United States Neural dealer, according to Sweetwater.) There is also one Canadian dealer, as well as several additional international dealers (Andertons, included), but none have the revised new 2021 products yet because of the software tweaks Neural is doing prior to shipping product.

FTR, the Quad Cortex has done away with some of the previous effects because of the instability and unreliability regards effects modeling. While I would have loved to have seen the MP Simble kept aboard, several effects were left out of the 2021 software upgrade. Other issues include the noise floor and mitigating that, suggestions of utilizing a DI box before unit input so as to provide a balanced signal before your instrument cable even touches the Quad Cortex. There are some glaring known issues that will need "fixing" before the Quad Cortex will be accepted by its public admirers.

What is promising it the ease of use. Pete Thorn recently did a video showcasing the Quad Cortex, and he was blown away with how easy it was to get the unit up and running, and dial in a decent rig tone. Said he didn't even need to read the owner's manual, it was that intuitive. What looks interesting is the ability to chain 4 amps and cabs together and output them in stereo L/R. Or utilize parallel effects loops within the framework of the Quad Cortex.

Now that I've given you the good news, here's the caveat: Sweetwater (and all other dealers) are still accepting only pre-orders for the Quad Cortex, until Neural begins releasing product. The scoop is that Sweetwater will receive the first batch of product in about a month's time, perhaps a few weeks beyond. Then, a couple weeks later, to insure the product is stable and without any issues, more shipments will be made every 2nd or 3rd week. Those who have pre-ordered are on a the waiting list until their name comes up, and then you have the option to have the Quad Cortex shipped to you. You MUST pay via CC otherwise if using PayPal you will be charged immediately. Utilizing a CC, your card will not be charged until you give approval that you wish to receive the unit and it will then be shipped. That keeps your money in your pocket until you say so.

Best wishes, had thought to revisit this post from January 2020 when the HeadRush was my choice of multi-effect. Now, my Gigboard and Expression pedal is now being offered to folks again with a group of pre-loaded rigs sectioned into a setlist, and downloaded IRs that wouldn't be available to new buyers. The IRs are invaluable towards good tone, so whoever buys this will not need spend extra cash on IRs. (And there are some good ones already downloaded).

Back