Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CandidPicker, Jan 6, 2020.

1. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open - Eared

Hello, again,

Thought to revisit this post and bring you up to date. I've given this some thought and realized that many of the stock cab models within the HeadRush are good quality cabs models, but not necessarily the best quality ones.

Thanks to @littlebadboy and one other forum member from another forum, it's been possible for me to research additional IR cab models; downloading several useful ones.

My HeadRush library now contains the Naked Fender Vol. 1 and Plexxxy Vol. 1 Choptones packs.

Gotta say, when using the IRs the way the Choptones video describes, the tone gets big!

My CRUNCH rig now sounds like EVH's brown sound, much to my delight! I've also tweaked my EJ DOVER rig so that the amp model instead of a '69 Plexi amp model, now sports a '82 Plexi Mod 84, that sounds awesome paired with one of the Choptones 4x12 Marshall cab IRs.

Lastly the CLEAN & SMOOTH rigs received some EQ and boost level tweaks, so that CLEAN remains clean up until diming the guitar volume knob, and SMOOTH has been tweaked for EQ, gain, and level.

Most all is set for gain unity such that none of my rigs overloads the output before FRFR speaker.

I've tried to pace myself regards my schedule so that I don't overdo things too much. Am hoping that things will be not so much of a burden anymore, and that toiling away relentlessly will be easier on my back, which has been the source of my recent concern. This is why I've strongly suggested to folks who lift, to do so with their knees, not their back. Failure to learn from this only causes injury. The diet and exercise thing has been working, but strength-training is only as valuable as any other kind of training you may receive; unless you practice it, you won't remember it.

#121 CandidPicker, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    littlebadboy likes this.
  2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

I am glad to be of service! I am also glad that you are enjoying it!

Yep tree hs Choptones library could be addictive as there are tons of options to burn your wallet!

How do you do this? Do you go through each virtual pedal and adjust the gain/vol levels? Do you use a db meter?

3. CandidPicker

It's somewhat of a blessing that the upfront cost of these IR packs are comparatively easy on the wallet (read: exc. quality for cheap) and the smaller IR packs are reasonably priced. There is a least one other websites I'd direct you to: The OwnHammer website, and the familiar RedWirez.

The concept of gain unity is to set your effects gain and levels such that either 1) your output block does not require level attenuation, (which usually compromises your best tone, gain, and volume) or 2) your output block requires attenuation so that your FRFR clip meter light does not light up. To prevent FRFR speaker signal input overload, merely access your output block and decrease your output block level so that the LED slider bars do not go into the red.

To set your effects gain, tone and levels, yes, it is necessary to double-tap on each effect separately and set your parameters correctly. The benefit is that you can listen to how each parameter setting sounds before you exit the parameter setting window, and proceed to the next effect. It's best to begin with an amp model, then add a cab towards the end of your signal chain, but essentially, you can put modulation effects after your cab if needs be. I prefer to put modulation effects between amp and cab, and non-modulation effects before amp. Remember to save your work after each parameter change, otherwise the HR may not recognize the parameter changes if done in succession without saving each time.

(This was a tip I learned from a more seasoned player who taught me how to set gain unity on a PA system for our Thursday open-mic jams. It was my job to help set up the PA and perform soundcheck prior to the evening gig. Your effects or amp gain and level settings need to be optimized for best tone and volume, then your HR output prior to powered speaker needs to be attenuated so you don't overload the speaker.)

The owner's manual, unfortunately, doesn't help you in this concern. IIRC, both the HR or FRFR manual doesn't speak or how to go about this in detail. What I've given you above is a summary of a simple DIY. If necessary, the YT 'HeadRush FX' video tutorials describe the nuances more aptly than the manuals do. Though they aren't the easiest to comprehend quickly, they provide a better overview of what the manuals describe.

If your ear is well-trained, you'll discern a variety of EQ and gain settings when you tweak them within each effect. It may require a 15 to 20% setting change to hear each level appreciably, but once your rig is how you like the tone and level, you'll know.

It's essentially how one detects the mood or nuances in someone else's voice or body language. If you can "read" the speaker's emotions from just their voice or body language, you can tailor your responses accordingly for better "conversational quality." By hearing how the "person speaking" is responding to your adjustments, you'll know whether your "conversation" went well or not.

#123 CandidPicker, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    littlebadboy likes this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

5. CandidPicker

Regards a dB meter, the output block within HeadRush has a horizontal LED bar that lights up just like a vertical mixer LED meter does. While you don't need to monitor dB pressure levels, the output level will tell you whether your signal to your FRFR is too hot or not. Too much output (red LEDs) will spike the speaker and cause it to clip; (green or yellow LEDs) are within "safe" levels.

An illustration is this: consider what would happen if you failed to water a tree. The tree would eventually stop producing fruit, would wither, and die. The same goes for a runner in a long-distance footrace. Without hydrating, the runner would become dehydrated, would experience cramps, and would be forced to forfeit the race.

In both instances, too much output level is like over-saturating either the tree or runner. Too little, and the tone "dries up" and dies off.

Knowing the correct balance is vital to both a healthy tree, and finishing the footrace.

littlebadboy likes this.
  6. CandidPicker

UPDATE:

The HeadRush location is receiving an upgrade...

My nephew is visiting today for dinner, and a work-project I've asked him to assist with is renovating my "cinder-block fireplace" bookshelf space, where my music study books, some of my old college books, and 3-ring binders, as well as my HeadRush FRFR cab is located. Will post a "before & after" pic so you can understand what's being accomplished. The purpose is to reclaim an additional shelf that was there prior to my Brunetti combo amp, but was relinquished for need of shelf space. Will need 2 additional 4x8x16-inch blocks to complete the job.

Will post later this evening, once the project is completed.

bodia and littlebadboy like this.
  7. CandidPicker

Re-arranged the concrete cinder block bookshelf. Reclaimed a shelf that was previously sacrificed when my Brunetti amp resided in the left-side image largest open section. The 2nd image displays the reduced section size, and the upper shelf that was not there before. Only needed two 4x8x16 blocks plus my nephew's height and muscles handing down the blocks to me. The lad put everything back with only my handing the blocks back to him, no stepladder needed...

The bookshelf is amazingly stable, and does not shift nor cause floor damage because the building is a single-floor slab concrete foundation. Weighs about 850 pounds without the added books or gear, but is solidly built, though no concrete mortar was applied in the build process. Takes 2 strong folks to assemble/disassemble. Wood shelves are 2x (1" H x 6" D x 5' L), secured with 1" H x 3" W x 14 " D pine. The shelves have never bowed at all, that's how strongly built this bookcase was put together. This was originally an idea from college dorm life, when a smaller height bookcase housed my stereo gear and word processor typewriter, back in 1992.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#127 CandidPicker, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    bodia and littlebadboy like this.
  8. CandidPicker

In light of the recent question regards Amp Modelers, I thought to bring back this thread from recent history and include some new tweaks to the Gigboard.

My current 4-rig setlist includes CLEAN, SMOOTH, CRUNCH, and EJ DOVER rigs. The new tweaks include adding MULTI-CHORUS DEFAULT ST to both the CLEAN & CRUNCH rigs, after the AMP, but before the CAB.

The EJ DOVER amp model was swapped out to RB B (Bogner Blue Channel) for a lead tone. EQs & Presence were tweaked as well, for slightly more clarity (read: less muffled tones). THE EJ DOVER's Tri-Fuzz was removed from the signal chain. Plenty of high-gain lead currently with the Bogner Blue channel.

As time wears on, I'll likely adjust some of my settings again for whatever is more pleasing to my ear at the time. The most important thing I personally can do is to listen and discern what is important, rather than say, "I haven't been..." and lose out on understanding what provides the most benefit.

littlebadboy likes this.