Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

Boss GT-1000 user here. Bought after comparing with the Helix. (I also had a Pod XT live, bought about 20 years ago when this sort of thing was new. Since then I had about a 15 year break from playing guitar at all, just getting back to it now)

Vs. the Helix LT (equivalent price-point), it's less user-friendly, but way better (IMO) in terms of DSP power and realism. The full-blown expensive Helix was even more user-friendly thanks to the scribble strips.
Anyway, I figured I could learn to use the Boss, for the benefit of the 'better' device in terms of its technical capabilities.
Helix also scores a win in terms of the ease of obtaining tones other people have made. It's a bigger community with 'clone tones' readily available.

As for how to set it up, I went with standard connection into a FRFR speaker (the Headrush 108, as seen in an earlier post.
The point of 4 cable mode seems to be that you want to use the pedal as a multi-effects unit, not a full-chain modeller. And you have a good amp to use. If I wanted that, I'd probably be buying a bunch of individual analogue pedals.
My aim was to have a series of tones I've already dialled in, so that I can change tone easily from song to song, without having to twiddle multiple settings to get there. 4 cable mode would not do that, standalone pedals would not do that, and a top-quality tube amp would not do that.
Also worth noting that I'm not a purist or a scholar - I take very little value from knowing that my kit is the genuine thing as used in the '60s, and sounding exactly the same.
I understand that not everybody has the same goals or views as me, but a floorboard straight into FRFR is where I ended up.

2-3 months into ownership of the Boss, I'm still learning, and enjoying it.

Your comments are appreciated.

I've personally not considered the Boss GT line because of previous experience with an older model unit (a GT-5?) many years ago. The DSP power was far from desirable back then, and I don't think I quite learned how to utilize the user presets to any appreciable degree. While there was plenty of room with which to learn, there wasn't internet back then when you could view or download the manual online or print out individual sections to review. That, plus the fact that the DSP processor sounded "too digital" and not so much natural or analog.

Since then, DSP processors have improved, and the Boss GT line has as well. While I find it easier to input rigs with a user-friendly GUI like HeadRush, so far, my analog effects (which are limited in number, and provide only 8 separate effects) from what I can see on YT, are below the bar set by other multi-effects builders, so that either might step up and provide easier to use input interfaces, as with most analog devices, or improve their own designs.

At least, for me, the folks who snooze may be missing an opportunity to capitalize on what they should know regards multi-effects. For those who prefer individual effects, the analog classroom meets next Monday right after the "Just Say, 'No Thanks, I'm Good' " class.

Last edited:
Neural are now getting in on the act - new for NAMM...

https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex/

NEURAL_Quad-Cortex-v1.jpg

And has a touchscreen too...

Thanks, that one looks nice, but I've personally not checked the price tag yet.

My only comment to @jxe is that the important factor whether deciding to stick with the HeadRush or not may be how well the GigBoard interacts with my Brunetti 35W 1x12 Combo. If the global parameter within the the HR does not do well with amp, the board will be returned less shipping for full credit.

FTR, what my ears prefer are the sounds of my JBL computer monitors. The amp, by contrast, is much more visceral and almost too loud for my small living room arrangement, and with my FX board, can push much more air than necessary.

My intent is to invest in the Gigboard, so that eventually, sometime in the future, when I depart this earth, the burden of selling my effects left to my surviving family will be not as hard to do. It may be a sad fact to face, but we all can't take it with us, you know? How much more difficult it would be for my family to sell individual effects, or one device? See what I'm saying?

As we all age, we must come to grips with the eventuality. Not fearing that, but making sure your survivors aren't burdened with extra responsibility during their time of grief is something one might need to consider. In the interim, my tip to you folks is, yeah, your surviving family may appreciate it more when you don't leave any loose ends or unfinished business.

That being said, my hope is to live many more years, but with fewer things that could be a burden to my surviving family, if and/or when...time and unforeseen circumstances are real reasons for our leaving behind what we can't take with us...

all of these things sound like a loud hi-fi instead of a guitar amplifier. give up!
I agree that in certain situations on stage there's some "pant flapping" missing when using FRFR or PA. You get that back running through a power amp to a regular cab though.
Massive benefit to those in the audience with FRFR as backline or through the PA. They get no benefit from stage pant flapping.
Chaqun a son gout!

I agree that in certain situations on stage there's some "pant flapping" missing when using FRFR or PA. You get that back running through a power amp to a regular cab though.
Massive benefit to those in the audience with FRFR as backline or through the PA. They get no benefit from stage pant flapping.
Chaqun a son gout!

Understood. With smaller room venues, the need for high volume isn't necessary. In all likelihood, the small rooms I'd even begin to think about being part of would not need much more than 40W, and could easily be heard with 15or 20W un-mic'd. Given that the HeadRush would be put through either my amp or the house PA and monitors, the choice is that much simpler.

FTR, you've inspired me to hear Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" in my own mind. Perhaps the irony is that this is not what I would play at open-mics, but something else, I know not what at this time...perhaps the Vaughan Bros, "Tick-Tock," instead...:)

And FTR, remind me to not use the dang whammy feature of the HR. Not my style.

NEURAL_Quad-Cortex-v1.jpg

Dang, that thing looks hawt!

I tried their Plini modeler, and really liked the sound, but I couldn't get the latency low enough for it not to bother me. Will definitely be following to see if it's everything they promise, but won't be putting down money for vaporware of something there's not even audio clips for (even if it *is* refundable).

Although the device is likely state-of-the-art tech, so's the price tag, at $200 deposit to preorder and $1399 plus shipping at time of ready-to-ship. Too rich for my blood.

maybe, but think of the ease-of-sale for your eventual heirs vis a box of electroharmonix.

Chaqun a son gout!

i’m just bitter because i have a half stack sitting in an apartment with superthin walls. and i’m sort of on board with ‘the audience won’t miss my earsplitting mids’, but damn if i don’t.

i wonder when they’ll have something i can load ir curves for pickups and neck wood?

i’m just bitter because i have a half stack sitting in an apartment with superthin walls. and i’m sort of on board with ‘the audience won’t miss my earsplitting mids’, but damn if i don’t.

i wonder when they’ll have something i can load ir curves for pickups and neck wood?
I get it.
I missed the pant flapping of my C50 and Avatar 2x12 on stage, but I don't miss the directionality of it.

maybe, but think of the ease-of-sale for your eventual heirs vis a box of electroharmonix.

You know, I personally don't view it as a complaint then as a chance to help folks understand perhaps a view they had not considered before. The HeadRush would be easier to list than my variety of effects (all nice, some boutique, yet no ElectroHarmonix, though).

There are only several individual effects I consider "cheap" (sale price: $90 or under), and many that would try hard to be worth their sale price, which has already been calculated. The Neural device is beyond my price range, and therefore only a distant blip on the radar.

If the HeadRush were to replace my individual effects, the sales of the individual effects would net enough for me to set aside some savings for future use, and this is likely necessary before next autumn, when my car's tires will need replacement, both winter and summer. That's about the price of a good S2, which I'm not planning on selling.

So for the sake of convenience and for easing my survivor's burden, the HeadRush IMHO, makes complete sense.

That, plus the fact that the HR has a headphones out jack for evening practice...something that is not existent with my current rig...

UPDATE:
HeadRush is ready for pickup at my designated location. Will make the trip later today. Currently in need of sleep, was up til 4:30 AM this morning texting a friend whose Mom is in the hospital with some health issues. Hope her surgery will proceed as planned, and that her recovery time will be brief.

P.S. Writing this from my desktop.

Headrush made the trip home safely. Connected the device with the 4 cable method to my combo amp Tuesday evening, and then reconnected it once my music stand arrived Wednesday. Cleared a spot next to my amp and set up the music stand. Was humming a Hank Williams tune in my brain this morning. Am not expecting anything else today. LOL. Am not looking for a vast improvement, just trying to cultivate a good attitude.

Will try and post a review of the HeadRush hopefully this weekend once rigs are created and saved.

Will likely create a clean platform, smooth and mild blues crunch, singing lead, and perhaps an ambient acoustic patch with some modulation. No biggie here. Am working modestly so that my individual effects can be put up for sale, so as to cover the cost of the HR and save extra for the future.

Today, my hope is to document my photographed images of my effects, so as to prepare them for sale. While this may part of the "old room" view, the "new room" will contain a simple audio rack (freaking thing weighs a ton), my combo amp, and my music stand/Headrush.

FTR, I saved a bundle with this, and won't need mail in a coupon for any "relief" today. Am feeling good about this. Remind me to not injure myself when I try to bend over the back of the audio rack in order to make any connections today.

Last edited:
You may also start looking at www.choptones.com for more awesome choices!

Thanks. The HR comes supplied with some no-charge IRs via the Celestion webpage, just need to register the device then visit the webpage. Am hoping to find some nice platforms for jazz, blues and rock, not so much hard rock or heavy metal. The Celestion page offers 2 bundles, one each for what I just previously described.

Thanks. The HR comes supplied with some no-charge IRs via the Celestion webpage, just need to register the device then visit the webpage. Am hoping to find some nice platforms for jazz, blues and rock, not so much hard rock or heavy metal. The Celestion page offers 2 bundles, one each for what I just previously described.
I will take a look at that too. I got my unit used, so I'm not sure if I have access to those.

I will take a look at that too. I got my unit used, so I'm not sure if I have access to those.

You may be the odd man out on this. The Celestion IRs are offered to new owners; each new owner was provided a postcard that had a serial number on it that is given specially to the new owner. If your packaging did not have the "Celestion Digital Download / HeadRush" postcard, you may not qualify for the no-cost IRs. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, LBB...

UPDATE:
According to Sweetwater Support/HeadRush technicians, the Headrush, when employed with a combo amp and FX loop, is strongly suggested to not use CABs or IRs if either the rig contains an FX LOOP block (no AMP model possible), or when an AMP model block is employed.

Translated, that means unless an FRFR device is used with the HR, and my existing rig employs a combo amp connected via 4 cable method, the quality of tone would not be optimal. The only recourse possible in order to keep full functionality of the HR, would be to replace my combo amp with an FRFR device. Well. The combo amp does the job appreciably well. Not sure selling my amp would prove any more beneficial than keeping it.

Thus far, 2 separate rigs have been created, 1) an entirely clean platform with some compression, a Black Lux Norm amp model reverb & delay, and 2) a singing lead, which employs numerous effects, mostly with compression, EQ, smooth overdrive, boost, FX loop, reverb, & delay.

I've yet to add an expression pedal to either rig, and will likely do so once learning how to assign my expression pedal to volume and/or wah. Experienced only a minor glitch when utilizing the toe-down switch (disabled the expression pedal functionality), but hope to utilize some global settings soon and correct that now that the device had powered down and hopefully reset itself.

EDIT: Was able to add a wah to my singing lead rig. The caveat is the the effect must be engaged before utilizing it, which requires a toe-down switch on the expression pedal. No worries, this is easy to do once global settings are complete.

The volume part of the expression pedal is also possible, though I've no need for increasing my volume within my clean rig. Clean rig is a warm analog vintage amp tone. Not messing with that at all.

Last edited:
even atomic lets you bypass the cab ir, but in any case it won’t kill your tone to use a cab ir in front of the combo.

Back