Multi-FX Boards -- How Do You Read?

even atomic lets you bypass the cab ir, but in any case it won’t kill your tone to use a cab ir in front of the combo.

This is likely correct, though according to my technical advisor, positioning a CAB affects amp tone is using a combo amp. Not so many issues utilizing a AMP block.

FTR, I did view a large portion of the IR models once one was put in position. There's a lot to choose from. Downside is they affect amp tone if a combo or head/cab amp is used. Apparently, the 4 cable method allows use of a combo or head/cab with the amp's FX loop, and doesn't sound that great with CAB models.

The FRFR is still not off the table...

I love my FRFR...

Still choosing between selling my beloved Brunetti and the FRFR108. Will only be the matter of calculating my costs, estimating my audience, and making some modest phone calls...o_O

LBB, tell me what you like about the FRFR108. Why the FRFR is more appropriate for your application than a regular amp. How one connects the HR to the FRFR. What you also dislike about the FRFR.

I'd like your objective opinion so as to more accurately reach my own conclusion about the benefits vs. the negatives of the FRFR.

Last edited:
FRFR will..
1) provide a more accurate representation of the model being used/played.
2) be much less directional to you and your audience. Way better coverage.
3) get further back into the room accurately.
4) be lighter to haul around.

FRFR will not...
Give you that amp in the room/pant flapping feel on stage

FRFR will..
1) provide a more accurate representation of the model being used/played.
2) be much less directional to you and your audience. Way better coverage.
3) get further back into the room accurately.
4) be lighter to haul around.

FRFR will not...
Give you that amp in the room/pant flapping feel on stage

My 1x12 combo amp does not produce "the pants flapping feel" anyway...

Dave, your take on the HeadRush 2000W FRFR108?

Still choosing between selling my beloved Brunetti and the FRFR108. Will only be the matter of calculating my costs, estimating my audience, and making some modest phone calls...o_O

LBB, tell me what you like about the FRFR108. Why the FRFR is more appropriate for your application than a regular amp. How one connects the HR to the FRFR. What you also dislike about the FRFR.

I'd like your objective opinion so as to more accurately reach my own conclusion about the benefits vs. the negatives of the FRFR.
I don't gig anymore so I can't give you advice on situations like that. However, I have tried it in a similar condition when I bring it to school (I'm a teacher) to play during events. I use my 108 as a monitor and connect it's line out to the PA board. It is ample enough. It was also light to carry around and easy to set up than the conventional. But, I am thinking that in bigger venues, the 112 could be more appropriate.

At home in my studio, my 108 gives me a clear and accurate tone that I intend my patches to be. Think of it like a blank canvas where you can paint your uncolored tone. I have tried a 112 but it was too huge for me. I think it has a more fuller sound.

I think my investment on an FRFR is worthy because I think I will always be an mfx/modeler person. So, whatever mfx unit I will have, it will work well with my frfr. Sometimes I wonder how the higher end expenie FRFRs sound like.

I don't have any cons to share yet. But, I sold all my amps since I had my FRFR because I am already done and liking my current set up.

I don't gig anymore so I can't give you advice on situations like that. However, I have tried it in a similar condition when I bring it to school (I'm a teacher) to play during events. I use my 108 as a monitor and connect it's line out to the PA board. It is ample enough. It was also light to carry around and easy to set up than the conventional. But, I am thinking that in bigger venues, the 112 could be more appropriate.

At home in my studio, my 108 gives me a clear and accurate tone that I intend my patches to be. Think of it like a blank canvas where you can paint your uncolored tone. I have tried a 112 but it was too huge for me. I think it has a more fuller sound.

I think my investment on an FRFR is worthy because I think I will always be an mfx/modeler person. So, whatever mfx unit I will have, it will work well with my frfr. Sometimes I wonder how the higher end expenie FRFRs sound like.

I don't have any cons to share yet. But, I sold all my amps since I had my FRFR because I am already done and liking my current set up.

Regards connecting to the HR and from FRFR to PA...what type cables, please? TRS-TRS or TRS> XLR? The manual contradicts itself in written word and picture...

My 1x12 combo amp does not produce "the pants flapping feel" anyway...

Dave, your take on the HeadRush 2000W FRFR108?
I've heard very good things about the Headrush 108. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.
I have a Yamaha DXR10 that I use for some gigs and it is the sole source of my sound with the Kemper. No PA, and an audience of over 300 in a big room.
I would suggest that you take your HR to a store that has the FRFR and try it out for a few minutes. I think you'll be surprised at the full bloom that a good patch/model/profile will sound like through a FRFR.
Here is a review from a well respected long term Kemper player regarding FRFR 108 vs DXR10 FWIW...
https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/i...108-vs-yamaha-dxr-10-my-impressions/&pageNo=1

I've heard very good things about the Headrush 108. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.
I have a Yamaha DXR10 that I use for some gigs and it is the sole source of my sound with the Kemper. No PA, and an audience of over 300 in a big room.
I would suggest that you take your HR to a store that has the FRFR and try it out for a few minutes. I think you'll be surprised at the full bloom that a good patch/model/profile will sound like through a FRFR.
Here is a review from a well respected long term Kemper player regarding FRFR 108 vs DXR10 FWIW...
https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/i...108-vs-yamaha-dxr-10-my-impressions/&pageNo=1

Thanks. There are several rigs (tasks) I'd need to complete within HR before heading over to a store and checking out the FRFR. There are benefits of the clean rig/amp model that could add a CAB before testing the FRFR. I've still my lead tone that requires removing an FX LOOP block and replacing with AMP/CAB models...these 2 rigs would be the most important to review before considering a sale of my Brunetti.

Let me make a few calls and find out what stores has an FRFR108 in stock. (This may be the problem...last time I checked, my local store didn't have the HR in stock...now locating an FRFR may be the next step towards a purchase...)

Regards connecting to the HR and from FRFR to PA...what type cables, please? TRS-TRS or TRS> XLR? The manual contradicts itself in written word and picture...
Gigboard to FRFR via TS instrument cable 1/4 at both ends. FRFR to PA or FOH via XLR cable.

frfr is for suckers, pa speakers or soundblaster computer speakers from goodwill are equally full range and as ‘flat’ as the manufacturer was willing to get it. none of these ‘color the sound’ sound like guitar cabs.

frfr is for suckers, pa speakers or soundblaster computer speakers from goodwill are equally full range and as ‘flat’ as the manufacturer was willing to get it. none of these ‘color the sound’ sound like guitar cabs.
Powered PA Speakers has a preamp that would color your tone.

I don't think you can play through SoundBlaster speakers in a gig. But Ola Englund really liked his Bose desktop speakers.

Reactions: jxe
I am seriously considering the Line 6 Powercab 112+ - the 212+ is a bit much - both in price and size for me. Not only is it a great FRFR cab but also can model 12 (with the update) different Speaker types - Vintage, Heritage, Jensen, etc and load your own IR's to it. If you want a Vox Cab sound, just pick the right speaker model. Of course you can use the FRFR and pick the right cab model on your modeller too but it seems like a great and versatile powercab...

my preamp fr is flat as a pancake. my point is the speaker isn’t special or new in any way.

i run the soundblaster headphone out to the board, where the sound guy ruins it and sends it to the colorful house speakers.

Powered PA Speakers has a preamp that would color your tone.

I don't think you can play through SoundBlaster speakers in a gig. But Ola Englund really liked his Bose desktop speakers.

Gigboard to FRFR via TS instrument cable 1/4 at both ends. FRFR to PA or FOH via XLR cable.

Have located a store model and will check out an FRFR108 next week. Will need to confirm with the store sales reps what type cable is used. Connecting to an outboard mixer will require a F/XLR > M/XLR IIRC. (the sales rep I spoke with today provided misinformation because he thought the FRFR output was a balanced signal (it is, yet he said not line level) which doesn't compute because connecting 2 FRFRs goes from FRFR out (line level) to FRFR input.)

Sure. Where does your amp sit, son?

Respectfully, the FRFR108 is a 2000W powered speaker (much like any PA speaker or wedge monitor) that you can position on a solid shelf (my "fireplace" bookshelf construct), floor or amp riser and receive appreciable volume yet never need increase volume beyond necessary levels. The benefit is that the FRFR108 weighs only 19 lbs (your newborn infant about the same).

Other guitarists may try sizing you up and making you feel "small" when they see your rig. You can tell them you don't have back pain from lifting/lugging your gear on weekend gigs. That'll learn 'em.

There is really no trick involved. Everything you need to know is based on creating a rig within the HR Gigboard, giving it some instructions, and knowing it will do its job. The not-so-easy part is teaching the HR to do its job. That requires some knowledge on your part. Just like LBB instructed me as to how to connect the HR, my job was to get to know the HR well enough so it would be that much easier to teach the HR to do what I had hoped it would do.

And thus far, have created 2 rigs with AMP model blocks (clean and lead) that will serve as "test cases" and through which the FRFR will receive signal. Relatively straight-forward. The "tricky part" will be selecting an appropriate CAB model from HR's selection, and listening to that in order to help make the correct decision about a purchase or not. I'm really not planning on quizzing the sales reps at all. That's best left to "lawyers and doctors." My job is just practicing with my HR presets, and putting things either away or in place so I can utilize the devices more easily when the time arrives.

And the FRFR won't likely need reside on the floor, but next to me, just below shoulder level where I can sit and hear the device without increasing any volume appreciably.

I am seriously considering the Line 6 Powercab 112+ - the 212+ is a bit much - both in price and size for me. Not only is it a great FRFR cab but also can model 12 (with the update) different Speaker types - Vintage, Heritage, Jensen, etc and load your own IR's to it. If you want a Vox Cab sound, just pick the right speaker model. Of course you can use the FRFR and pick the right cab model on your modeller too but it seems like a great and versatile powercab...

The Line 6 has crossed my mind. What wattage does the PowerCab 112 put out? And it's weight?

The Line 6 has crossed my mind. What wattage does the PowerCab 112 put out? And it's weight?

From Thomanns:- 250w and 16.1kg for the Plus, the regular 112 (with 6 speaker models) is 15.1kg and 250w.

It depends on which 112 as they do differ in weight but have the same Wattage

Good Review of the cabs here and a video review too which you will find interesting about a cab vs monitors

Last edited:
From Thomanns:- 250w and 16.1kg for the Plus, the regular 112 (with 6 speaker models) is 15.1kg and 250w.

It depends on which 112 as they do differ in weight but have the some Wattage

Good Review of the cabs here and a video review too which you will find interesting about a cab vs monitors

Thanks for that. Translated: 15.1 kg = ~ 33 lbs., about the same as my 1x12 combo.

Hint: For those who desire high-quality digital effects/amp/cab/mic modeling tone, with a low weight profile, you can stop looking. The HR is my solution.

Last edited:
Back