Guitarists everyone else loves, but you think, "meh."

Santana is boring...Impossible to hea rhim :oops:
Love Jimmy Hendrix at guitar but hate when he sing :rolleyes:

If you just think about him in today's context, compared to everyone who's come since, I can understand that. But if you think of him in the context of the early and mid 60s and think about what guitar music was like then, and think about what he managed to popularize that nobody else had brought to a vast white audience before, it makes a LOT more sense. I mean, if you listen to the Beano album with Mayall in the context of ANYTHING that had been widely heard before that, it was pretty mind-blowing. And then Cream was the first of the great power-trios as well. Nobody was reaching any sort of audience with that stuff when he did it, and then everyone was doing it. I mean, he paled next to Hendrix, but so does everyone, and he knew it better than most. But Clapton kicked a lot of that stuff off...

-Ray

Good points, Ray. I remember in high school my good buddy and I used to argue all the time about the true “guitar god.” He’d say “Clapton,” and I’d answer “Hendrix.” Ah, the good ‘ol daze.

Tiny Tim

1388_1018840595.jpg

o_O

Well, when this thread popped up the VERY FIRST guitar player that came to mind was Zakk Wylde. Why? Because at the Experience Hendrix concert here in Austin on September 30, 2014 at the Moody Theater/ACL, he completely, totally and utterly ruined Fire and Maniac Depression by massively overplaying. It was awful, terrible and the worst. You never forget this type of performance, ever. He's at the top of my list since then...

I watched a guitar competition on Sky Arts (I think last year) and one of the mentors was Tony Iommi. His playing was disappointing, especially when you watch the making of Rock Aid Armenia video from 1987 and see what he was capable of.

The jam session on the documentary (Rock Aid) with Brian May was brilliant. Some nice playing from Blackmore as well, although he flounced in and out like a Prima Donna. Or that’s how they presented him anyway!

I would have to say that Greta Van Fleet are vastly overrated. I don't see what is so great about them, just another Zep Clone to me.

If you just think about him in today's context, compared to everyone who's come since, I can understand that. But if you think of him in the context of the early and mid 60s and think about what guitar music was like then, and think about what he managed to popularize that nobody else had brought to a vast white audience before, it makes a LOT more sense. I mean, if you listen to the Beano album with Mayall in the context of ANYTHING that had been widely heard before that, it was pretty mind-blowing. And then Cream was the first of the great power-trios as well. Nobody was reaching any sort of audience with that stuff when he did it, and then everyone was doing it. I mean, he paled next to Hendrix, but so does everyone, and he knew it better than most. But Clapton kicked a lot of that stuff off...

-Ray

Totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think John Mayer is today's Eric Clapton. They can both rip on guitar, but choose to write "pop" songs. Perhaps pop is the wrong term, but I think you all know what I mean. They write and release below their technical level, and the level that we all wish they would!

Well, when this thread popped up the VERY FIRST guitar player that came to mind was Zakk Wylde. Why? Because at the Experience Hendrix concert here in Austin on September 30, 2014 at the Moody Theater/ACL, he completely, totally and utterly ruined Fire and Maniac Depression by massively overplaying. It was awful, terrible and the worst. You never forget this type of performance, ever. He's at the top of my list since then...

I get this, and thought the same thing. I really liked Zakk on the first two Ozzy records he was on. Since then....meh....with the exception of Pride and Glory. Totally agree with his overplaying on the Exp Hendrix stuff

Phil Collen of Def Leppard. Put on a g*ddamed shirt!
Yngwie=sausage finger wanking.
I’d rather hear Phillis Diller play guitar than those two.

Sorry...needed that off my chest.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Shawn Lane. It first I was impressed but after 5 minutes I was searching for cat videos

I can't do it but I do love to hear tasteful speed playing. Paul Gilbert or nuno are guitarists that can hold my attention.

I've watched some early Santana concert footage and it was impressive but those days are long gone.

Clapton...mmmmeeeeehhhh.

All guitars players,are better than me so there's that.

Totally agree. As a matter of fact, I think John Mayer is today's Eric Clapton. They can both rip on guitar, but choose to write "pop" songs. Perhaps pop is the wrong term, but I think you all know what I mean. They write and release below their technical level, and the level that we all wish they would!
I’m not sure I see that. I mean, Clapton started off being a real guitar hero, maybe the FIRST real guitar hero, as we think of the term today. And then at some point, in the mid/late 70s, resorted to trying to make pop albums, with mixed success. And then went back and forth between blues and poppier stuff into old age.

Mayer had kind of taken an opposite path, at least so far. He initially hit as a pop star with screaming little girls and huge selling records. And over the years has gotten MORE substantive, not less, as he started developing (and showing) his blues chops and now his Dead and Co improvisational work. And he still makes the occasional pop album, but the focus has shifted TOWARD more guitar-centric music rather than away from it.

Maybe in terms of his writing and his personal albums, he’s still making good pop records, but his overall career has shifted toward more serious guitar based improv. And IMHO, he’s getting better and better at it. The difference in his playing with Dead and Co from his first tour with them 2-3 years ago to today is really impressive. I initially didn’t think he fit in that role very well at all - now I find them to be the first Dead iteration since Jerry that I’d actually like to go see again... He’s doing it his way, not copying Jerry’s playing at all, but making it work incredibly well in the context of that music...

A brilliant idea for a thread. (Brilliant only because I thought about starting a similar thread specifically about Robert Cray.)

Can he play 1000 times better than I. Yes, and he should consider that an insult if he were to hear it. He has to be a great guitarist if Clapton has him on the Crossroads festival at lest once and probably multiple times. But I have never seen or heard him play anything that doesn't bore me.

Clapton. I can really appreciate his phrasing, but the rest...

I’m fine with the folks who put their asses on the line and perform professionally.

But I think you’re all meh.

My thought was...I feel pretty meh whenever I listen to recordings of myself...but everyone else mentioned on this thread is FANTASTIC...I would sacrifice a paired organ or two to be able to play near as well as any of them. I may not be a huge fan of all of their music/genres, or listen to them all that often, but there is no denying their exceptional talents.

My thought was...I feel pretty meh whenever I listen to recordings of myself...but everyone else mentioned on this thread is FANTASTIC...I would sacrifice a paired organ or two to be able to play near as well as any of them. I may not be a huge fan of all of their music/genres, or listen to them all that often, but there is no denying their exceptional talents.

Agreed!! This is not a question about talent or ability. It's a question of almost universal appeal that doesn't reach you.

As an example, I get Clapton's talent and success and his willingness to "put it out there". I'd dearly love to achieve 1% of his career. I'm impressed with everything he has accomplished in his career, but the music does nothing for me. I read people waxing rhapsodic about Clapton and I just don't get it.

More heresy.......I really like the the way David Gilmour plays and tend to enjoy his solos immensely, but I really don't like Pink Floyd. I'm a fingerstyle player (I don't even know how to play with a pick). I love Mark Knopfler's style and ability and his approach REALLY resonates with me, but I just don't like Dire Straits.

Phil Collen of Def Leppard. Put on a g*ddamed shirt!
Yngwie=sausage finger wanking.
I’d rather hear Phillis Diller play guitar than those two.

Sorry...needed that off my chest.

Good call! Forgot about Yngwie - don't get him at all!

+1

Good points, Ray. I remember in high school my good buddy and I used to argue all the time about the true “guitar god.” He’d say “Clapton,” and I’d answer “Hendrix.” Ah, the good ‘ol daze.
I bet both Clapton and Hendrix would have said “Muddy Waters.”

Back