Guitarists everyone else loves, but you think, "meh."

Any guitarist that plays 1000 notes a second but takes your heart nowhere.

I could however give an example of 1000 notes a second that gets you somewhere - Nuno Bettencourt.

Would this be just an afterthought, or is it something of which you base your opinion on someone's guitar playing?
The last and only interview of Hammett I have seen was the one where he talks about Gary Moore/Peter Green's Les Paul that he now owns. In that, he came across as a natty old grandma with some odd nervous gestures and might have smoked a bit too much pot over the years. Not at all what I was expecting. Didn't bother me to be honest, I have never listened to Metallica but do like a lot of Green and Moore. Being natty and a little effeminate probably helped me like him more than if he was some kind of slick over confident rock character.

The thing about Kirk Hammett is... he’s the only thing that has gotten better about Metallica as time goes by so, he deserves a little bit of respect... or at least a high five or a fist bump. :rolleyes:

Vai, YJM, Patrucci, even Satriani and Eric Johnson...they all give me a headache...with the exception of a few songs by each of them. I’m not a fan of the “million note march”. Play for the song, dammit! I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.
Disclaimer* The above are all highly skilled players...but I can’t listen to them!

There were examples on vinyl at the time. Whether he heard them or not I have no idea, and I have no reason to disbelieve him. But his point that he never said he invented it is a good one - my issue was with the title, not him.

Harveymandel.jpg

I uploaded the clip for his voice. Inadvertently, I opened up a can of worms about “tapping”!!

Back