It's Time To Trust Your Own Senses and Judgment.

Times change, but people don't seem to.

I‘m completely convinced of that. Circumstances change, our environments change, technology changes, but people? Not one bit. Drop a cell network and a cargo ship of iPhones into ancient Rome, and the Colosseum will be filled with droop-chinned navel gazers desperate to charge their phones.

I tend to agree. Times change, but people don't seem to.

Maybe it is because you can pass on knowledge, but not life experience. So no one gets their sh!t completely together until they are nearly dead and by then it is too late. ;)
Maybe when they substantially extend the human lifespan - they're not all that far off, according to some of the research I see from time to time - people will come to realize what's real vs what's illusion. Unfortunately, I won't be around to see it.

Unfortunately, I won't be around to see it.

I thought this was you, thinly disguised by Douglas Adams in "Life, The Universe and Everything":

Bowerick Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged was a being who became immortal after an accident with a few rubber bands, a liquid lunch, and an irrational particle accelerator.

After a period of total boredom, especially on Sunday afternoons, he decided to insult everyone in the entire universe in alphabetical order.

While I only trust online reviews to certain degree, I do use the web to narrow down searches, and at least get a barometer on a product I'm considering. With the amount of reviews on products and services it's at least easy to see if an item has a majority of positive or negative marks.

Then once I've weeded out the BS I can go see first hand if it's something I can't live without.

I recently went to two highly acclaimed neurosurgeons seeking advice on what to do about a fully herniated disc (that makes my leg not work 100% at the moment, super fun). The first told me he could get me into surgery the next day. I held off and got a second opinion almost 3 months later. The second told me to wait. Slowly, my leg is coming back. The first was going to permanently delete an entire joint in one of my vertebrae. The second suggested an alternative, less destructive approach if I ever got around to it. I'm safe on second base, and I think I'm going to just stand here for awhile and enjoy the game.

I recently went to two highly acclaimed neurosurgeons seeking advice on what to do about a fully herniated disc (that makes my leg not work 100% at the moment, super fun). The first told me he could get me into surgery the next day. I held off and got a second opinion almost 3 months later. The second told me to wait. Slowly, my leg is coming back. The first was going to permanently delete an entire joint in one of my vertebrae. The second suggested an alternative, less destructive approach if I ever got around to it. I'm safe on second base, and I think I'm going to just stand here for awhile and enjoy the game.
I have severe damage in L4 and L5. I had a similar experience. I got lucky and found a doctor that told me he could rehabilitate me and that I should see surgery as a last resort. That was close to two decades ago. He got me back up on my feet and taught me how to maintain things myself and to know when things are going to feel bad if I don't maintain it. I have thankfully been able to not have surgery at this point. I can tell when things are not working quite as they should and I start doing stretches and I have figured out how to manipulate my own back over the years. I can do these things for a few days and keep the pain away. If I had gone with an earlier doctor, who knows where I would be with this today. When you have a disc removed and the vertebrate fused, it puts more stress on the discs above and below that fusion.

I've mentioned before that I have nerve damage in my fretting hand that has made my 4th and 5th fingers numb. In 2016, after I had heart surgery, they were numb when I woke up. The alarming thing wasn't the numbness, it was that after a few months, the fingers weakened to the point where they wouldn't function. I couldn't play any more. I figured I'd have to play slide.

So I consulted a physical medicine doctor, who sent me to get an MRI. The report that came back was that it was diabetic neuropathy. The physical medicine doc said, "I think they're wrong. I'm going to run some nerve conduction tests."

Turned out that I had a pinched ulnar nerve that was probably aggravated by the long heart procedure (septuple bypass).

He sent me to a hand surgeon who did more tests, agreed with my physical medicine doc, did an ulnar nerve transposition, and the fingers operate again, though they're still a bit numb. I can still play, I'm just slower due to numbness (the fingers sometimes don't know which string they've landed on), which is fine. I've always been a melodic player anyway.

Had my doctor simply accepted the findings of the MRI, I would have been in deep doo-doo. So yeah, second opinions are important.

Maybe when they substantially extend the human lifespan - they're not all that far off, according to some of the research I see from time to time - people will come to realize what's real vs what's illusion. Unfortunately, I won't be around to see it.
I doubt I will be here either, but I have a feeling I would just be disappointed anyway. ;)

Back