It's Time To Trust Your Own Senses and Judgment.

László

Too Many Notes
This morning I was reading The Athletic and noticed that two of its popular writers have walked back their predictions and theories about the game of football. I won't get into their theories and issues; I mean, who cares.

But it made me think about a world full of experts and critics who are no better at their evaluations than you or I.

People get Consumer's Reports, because they don't trust their own judgment about what widget to spend their hard-earned on (someone sent us a subscription as a gift, and it's like...what, who can't tell what quality is?).

You don't need a critic or tester to tell you that a Dyson or Miele appliance is generally higher quality than typical bargain store junk. The materials tell you that when you examine them.

Nor do you need a critic to tell you whether you're better off blowing your very own dough on something expensive, or saving your money and buying something less expensive that does the job OK enough. Your wallet tells you that.

These kinds of things should be obvious.

Much the same can be said of most things that people depend on other people to decide for them, like music, art, drama, film, etc. How many times have you seen a critically-acclaimed movie and thought, "This is terrible!" Or thought a movie that was supposed to be terrible is actually good, or at least fun to watch?

"You don't watch movies, Laz."

"Well, I used to, and I remember, OK?" :rolleyes:

"Get to the point."

OK, the point is that people don't need a critic, or professional reviewer, or me, or anyone else to tell them what to like.

You think Fenders are better than PRS'? OK. I have no problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

You need a forum to tell you which PRS finish in a dealer's inventory is nicer? I dunno, man.

Which pickups are better in a Model XP23 Extra Ten Zillion? Um...would that be better for me, or better for you?

You want to know if the bridge material or wood matters? Well, it only matters to you if you can hear it, right? So if you can't hear it, it doesn't matter. If you can hear it, then you know the answer.

It's the same with "Which guitar is better for the style of music I play?" Fergodsakes, go play a bunch and find out.

et cetera.

Rant over.

I don’t trust professionals anymore. I researched the detective that is currently looking after my case and I did some digging. Not happy about what I found out. And cops of all ppl. You would think differently. They’re human though just like you and I.

Last edited:
1000% agree .. Opinions are at best shaded truth. There is an old Cherokee saying ( and I am an Old Cherokee) "

"Take everything in the palms of your hands and see what's worth keeping, then blow the rest away with a breath of kindness."

There is no substitute for real , in your hands and ears experience no matter what it is in life ...

This morning I was reading The Athletic and noticed that two of its popular writers have walked back their predictions and theories about the game of football. I won't get into their theories and issues; I mean, who cares.

But it made me think about a world full of experts and critics who are no better at their evaluations than you or I.

People get Consumer's Reports, because they don't trust their own judgment about what widget to spend their hard-earned on (someone sent us a subscription as a gift, and it's like...what, who can't tell what quality is?).

You don't need a critic or tester to tell you that a Dyson or Miele appliance is generally higher quality than typical bargain store junk. The materials tell you that when you examine them.

Nor do you need a critic to tell you whether you're better off blowing your very own dough on something expensive, or saving your money and buying something less expensive that does the job OK enough. Your wallet tells you that.

Much the same can be said of most things that people depend on other people to decide for them, like music, art, drama, film, etc. How many times have you seen a critically-acclaimed movie and thought, "This is terrible!" Or thought a movie that was supposed to be terrible is actually good, or at least fun to watch?

"Get to the point."

OK, the point is that people don't need a critic, or professional reviewer, or me, or anyone else to tell them what to like.

You think Fenders are better than PRS'? OK. I have no problem with that. Whatever floats your boat.

You need a forum to tell you which PRS finish in a dealer's inventory is nicer? I dunno, man.

Which pickups are better in a Model XP23 Extra Ten Zillion? Um...would that be better for me, or better for you?

You want to know if the bridge material or wood matters? Well, it only matters to you if you can hear it, right? So if you can't hear it, it doesn't matter. If you can hear it, then you know the answer.

It's the same with "Which guitar is better for the style of music I play?" Fergodsakes, go play a bunch and find out.

et cetera.

Rant over.
But… if I have to trust my own judgment, then that means I have to actually face my discomfort and play or write, right? Scary.

I agree completely!

Two examples that confound me. Experts provide all kinds of analytics to tell me which team will win and why. I prefer to forego the analysis and just watch the game. Then I’ll know who won. The why is easy-they scored more points than the other team.

The second example is watching a speech such as the State of the Union. Then all the experts make a fortune telling me what I just heard and how I should think about what I just heard.

@László a well stated rant. I agree in general. I’ll put forth a corollary to your theorem. There are the flocks of talking heads and talking page “opinions put forth as facts” bozos and forum denizens. There are also coaches and more experienced friends and guides. I’ve encountered both, but a number of the latter here. At someplace like TGP, it’s harder for the newbie to tell which are bozos and which are guides. There’s a few folks here who have helped me with gear to look at, ways to look at gear, and how to get set up for my needs. And of course the merry band of enablers for when you just need that push over the edge to do what you want to do anyway. Or to push back against to help you decide not to do it.

My corollary then - who needs “experts,” but a good coach or guide can sometimes be indispensable, or at least save you some time.

I agree completely!

Two examples that confound me. Experts provide all kinds of analytics to tell me which team will win and why. I prefer to forego the analysis and just watch the game. Then I’ll know who won. The why is easy-they scored more points than the other team.
You're a wiser man than I!

The metrics might be worth taking into account if you're a bettor. But I don't bet. I just get all pleasant for a few hours when favorite teams win, and crabby when they lose.

Apparently I look at the metrics out of a desperate need to have "evidence" to reassure myself in advance that my favorite teams will win.

I laugh at my irrationality and foolishness all the time! I made a photo of the winning touchdown from the other night my computer desktop picture. Like that win does something for me! ;)

I don’t pay much attention to the majority of random opinions of people I know nothing about.

I do consider the opinions of people I know to have similar tastes and values. For example, if a friend with similar tastes in movies make a recommendation, there is a good chance I will watch it. Same thing goes for a new restaurant. I care less about everyone lining up to get in than the endorsement of a friend who likes sea bass as much as I do.

Agree, though it helps after you get to know each other's interests and concerns. I do like hanging out here, it develops trust in humanity!
Absolutely. I’ve found here a bunch of friends, several of which have spent time, energy, thought and concern to help me with some purchase desires
/directions for things I absolutely “need” (i. e. I don’t need them at all, but want “something“). There is a multi page thread that started with me thinking I wanted a Tonex, deciding I really wanted a new “thing to plug my guitar into to make sound come out” and ending up with a Kemper stage I’m quite delighted with. I bunch of folks contributed positively to that discussion. Anyway, I guess I’m just saying I like hanging out here as well and always appreciate the help and input.

Agree, and the internet has worsened the effect 100 fold. You can believe that, because I just said it and you saw it online!

The truth is, at least to me, it’s all information and what you do with it is up to you (and on you). I’ve received outstanding advice from some sources, and abysmally bad information from others, and those filters inform future info searches, whether online or face to face interactions. I can’t have experience in everything, so gaining perspective from a subject matter expert can be beneficial. It is most important, however, that the matter of expertise is vetted and real. Having a YouTube channel is not qualification for anything more than opinions, and we all know how plentiful those are.

Ultimately, we all listen to someone. You are responsible for who you allow to influence your decisions, and for the decisions you make.

I am a little torn on this one. I am someone that does my research on things, especially larger purchases. I make my own mind up based on what I find and move forward. Sometimes I like to get input from others like with my do I need a PRS studio post. Did any of that really help me with my decision, possibly. In the end, I made the decision to purchase the guitar and I found one that I liked, I didn't need input on that... :) Typically, I don't ask others unless I am looking to get more information on a specific part of something.

"Get to the point."

et cetera.

Rant over.
Things got so much easier when when I started to trust my own ears instead of other people.

Back