GASing for a Mesa Boogie Mark v

I agree with the OxBox. I also have a Fryette PS-2, which would be my second choice if the price of the OxBox is too high.
After reviewing what they all do, I think the PS2 would be the most useful for me. 1) attenuate/re-amp my Archon and ATMA. 2) and some say this is the greatest thing ever, amplify my modelers. Atomic AA12>Power Station>real cab…. The most versatile rig ever, and real guitar >amp>cab tone…

Last edited by a moderator:
Have discovered new uses of it as the output stage of a modeler going into the FX return (which works around some of the items listed above).
Indeed! If you don’t mind a 62 lbs solution…

rig-cold-zoom.jpg

Here’s my little set up.

Mesa Studio 22 (still available used). Plenty loud enough for all applications. With Laney 1x12 extension cab. Amp is open backed and cab is close backed, so best of both worlds.

I have recently started using a Bugera PS1 (attenuator). I’m getting some really good tones, with very little tone suck.

It’s still heavy for a 22watt combo, but it’s still portable.

I’ve had this amp for 28 years now and it’s been a little workhorse, for gigs, recording and practice.

More amp than I will ever need.

Happy hunting.

Here’s my little set up.

Mesa Studio 22 (still available used). Plenty loud enough for all applications. With Laney 1x12 extension cab. Amp is open backed and cab is close backed, so best of both worlds.

I have recently started using a Bugera PS1 (attenuator). I’m getting some really good tones, with very little tone suck.

It’s still heavy for a 22watt combo, but it’s still portable.

I’ve had this amp for 28 years now and it’s been a little workhorse, for gigs, recording and practice.

More amp than I will ever need.

Happy hunting.
There's a studio 22+ on eBay (UK) at the moment going cheap. Collection only though and not near me. I'm kind of on the lookout for a DC5 head if one appears on there

There's a studio 22+ on eBay (UK) at the moment going cheap. Collection only though and not near me. I'm kind of on the lookout for a DC5 head if one appears on there

Ooh and in cream Tolex too! Just as well it’s 500 miles away.

I’ll bear the DC5 search in mind :D

You might be looking at a combo and making a chassis for the amp (maybe).

Both the 35 and 25 are fine amps, though I had the 100W version.

The higher the output power, generally the higher the clean headroom and the tighter the bass. Those are the main arguments for higher power. I found the master volume on the 100W just fine, and for low volume work, I'd just switch it down to 10 W.

I've absolutely no idea if the 25 and 35 can be switched to lower output, so check before buying. But I'd probably never go below 35 W capability for an amp However, I'm not just starting out. And I wouldn't mind using a good attenuator if it was called for (I don't own one, because I don't mind playing at gig levels). The 100W version also has more tone options. Hey, if you're buying a Mesa, there's no reason NOT to get the 100W, given the ability of the 100 to go into 10W mode, other than money.

I'm sure everyone else here thinks I'm quite mad, but I'd get the 100.

I agree 100% with this. I never had problems playing my 100 at bedroom levels.

So… here’s where I’m leaning right now:
MkV25 Combo. Works now and I don’t have to buy a cab right now
Combo is the same amp as the head, just a bit taller
Combo can basically be a tall head, or a combo
24 lbs!
Headphone out
Cab clone, for better or worse.
24 lbs!

I can scale up later if necessary. I plan on getting the Bugera PS-1 to help with quiet volume.

This could all change tomorrow of course…

Thanks to all for comments thus far.

24 lbs!
Headphone out
24 lbs!

I can scale up later if necessary. I plan on getting the Bugera PS-1 to help with quiet volume.

If you're OK with getting an attenuator to go along with the amp, I think this is a good plan. I've played the 25 head, and it was indeed plenty loud. If the MkV is the thing you want, or at least want to give a good honest try... worst case scenario, you end up selling it, and it won't be a hard one to sell.

24 lbs!
Headphone out
24 lbs!

If you're OK with getting an attenuator to go along with the amp, I think this is a good plan. I've played the 25 head, and it was indeed plenty loud. If the MkV is the thing you want, or at least want to give a good honest try... worst case scenario, you end up selling it, and it won't be a hard one to sell.

Nice thing with the attenuator is that you don’t have to sacrifice a great guitar tone, just because the volume is down.

I practice better when my amp’d sound inspires me to.

WHAT... is That... That... That... THING on top of that Mesa amp?!! :eek:
It’s my Brave Little Toaster!
bravelittletoaster.jpg

With the GEQ and EV12L, the MkIII makes for a passable FRFR solution. Not exactly neutral, but it sounds great. As long as you aren’t a stickler for the monitor out sounding just like headphone and main out, it works great…and can be flippin’ loud! I lit up the entire 2 block radius at that gig (full of high rise apartments) Boogie Toaster goodness at 6am on a Saturday. Something I’ve always wanted to do! (Maybe not at 20F)

Back