Overwhelmed with new amp choices

GnarCalShrddr

Just got a custom 24 wood library. Currently have an Orange Rocker 15 combo with a 1x10 speaker. I don't really care for it and I don't feel like I'm getting best out of my guitar. I previously owned an Orange Thunderverb 50 with 2x12 cab, loved it but it was heavy and I had to sell for financial reasons (in grad school). After I went for a Budda Superdrive 18 which was loud AF (even with an attenuator). I'm looking for something in the 20-30 watt range (tube), head or combo, with a good effects loop (trying to get into pedals). Reverb would be nice but not a requirement. I also live in an apartment so a good master volume would be great. I really like Incubus and that nu metal flavor of the 2000s but I enjoy a good lower gain crunch/tube break-up. I also prefer simple controls....if I cant start playing in 5 minutes or less I'm not into it. Budget is about $2-3K but could go higher if I found something I liked. I went to 3 different music stores this week and played the following:

Mesa Fillmore 25 combo: Amazing amp, sounded so good but not enough gain, would buy as a second amp
Mesa Mark V 35 combo: Way too many options, too hard to dial in
Mesa Badlander 50 combo: Easier controls than the Mark V, but I wasn't hearing anything that overly impressed me
Suhr Badger 18 head: Cool amp but sounded more vintage
PRS HDRX 50 head: I had a hard time with the control layout
PRS MT 15: I played this when I was demoing other guitars, f*cking loud but wasn't feeling it
Soldano Hotrod 25 head (used): Was really impressed but they wanted $2200 for a used head
Soldano SLO 30 head: WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW- not really nu metal sounding but could do just about everything and I heard it takes pedals well, slightly over budget when accounting for the cab, would prefer a 1x12 cab (which they don't make)

I would still like to try out a Mesa Rectoverb 25-I can't get my hands on one (even though I live 45 min away from Mesa/Boogie). Closest thing would be a mini-Rectifier but Guitar Center didn't have the "right cab" to plug it into. Would love to try a Friedman amp as well but those are hard to find.

So as of right now I'm leaning toward the Soldano SLO 30. Would likely trade in some dj equipment along with my Orange amp to make the price tag sting a bit less.

Open to other suggestions.

TIA

Doesn’t get any more by-metal than a Rectifier, so that would probably be a safe bet.

Friedman makes some killer stuff too, maybe the JJ Jr or Runt 20?

If you liked the SLO, I think Jet City is up and running again and making a more budget friendly version of the SLO.

I know it wasn't on your list, but I just picked up a Mini Rectifier. I also have a MT15 and I love them both. They have distinct high gain sounds, but the Mesa is easier to get "hard rock" crunch tones with since it has the Vintage/Modern switch and the "crunch" setting on the clean channel. Very versatile amp! Plus the master works great at getting good tones at lower volumes. I live in a house, but often play quietly to not disturb the rest of the family.

Good luck finding the perfect amp!

I know it wasn't on your list, but I just picked up a Mini Rectifier. I also have a MT15 and I love them both. They have distinct high gain sounds, but the Mesa is easier to get "hard rock" crunch tones with since it has the Vintage/Modern switch and the "crunch" setting on the clean channel. Very versatile amp! Plus the master works great at getting good tones at lower volumes. I live in a house, but often play quietly to not disturb the rest of the family.

Good luck finding the perfect amp!
Thanks! I’m actually trying to get my hands on a mini-rectifier to demo since it’s basically the same as the recto verb. They had one at guitar center but the cabs available didn’t have the right impedance (supposedly).

Doesn’t get any more by-metal than a Rectifier, so that would probably be a safe bet.

Friedman makes some killer stuff too, maybe the JJ Jr or Runt 20?

If you liked the SLO, I think Jet City is up and running again and making a more budget friendly version of the SLO.
Would love to get my hands on a JJ Jr or Runt. Just hard to come by around here in Northern California.

Bogner 3534? Cheaper than the SLO and with 3 channels and a boost can cover a lot of ground from clean to high gain. 35 watts and the return level on the FX loop can be used as a second matter volume control to help fine tune for getting lower volumes (so I've heard)

No where near as sexy - boss katana. You'd get all the sounds you'd want out of that at any volume level you'd want.

But if I had the means for an SLO 30 I wouldn't be looking at the boss.

Other considerations;
EVH 5150 iii 50 watt
PRS Archon
Not sure that these really do the edge of break up sounds, but you can always get there on the clean channel and some overdrive pedals

Bogner 3534? Cheaper than the SLO and with 3 channels and a boost can cover a lot of ground from clean to high gain. 35 watts and the return level on the FX loop can be used as a second matter volume control to help fine tune for getting lower volumes (so I've heard)

No where near as sexy - boss katana. You'd get all the sounds you'd want out of that at any volume level you'd want.

But if I had the means for an SLO 30 I wouldn't be looking at the boss.

Other considerations;
EVH 5150 iii 50 watt
PRS Archon
Not sure that these really do the edge of break up sounds, but you can always get there on the clean channel and some overdrive pedals
You know I was looking at the bogner 3534, there’s a head near me on Craigslist for $2k. Matching 1x12 can on sweet water for another $700. I do like all the options it has. Only complaint I hear it’s he effects loop is noisy. Never been much of a pedal player other than a fuzz/octave but I’m thinking of getting more into it so that’s my only concern.

My first big boy amp was a line AX212, lots of options on that, similar to the boss. I just struggle with the complexity of those amps, with the storage and memory banking.

You make some good points about those other amps with the clean/overdrive pedal. Something to consider if I can get my hands on one to play.

I can definitely swing the SLO, just with a cab and my custom 24 WL that’s an $11k rig for an at home hobby player. But f*ck would it be nice.

You know I was looking at the bogner 3534, there’s a head near me on Craigslist for $2k. Matching 1x12 can on sweet water for another $700. I do like all the options it has. Only complaint I hear it’s he effects loop is noisy. Never been much of a pedal player other than a fuzz/octave but I’m thinking of getting more into it so that’s my only concern.

My first big boy amp was a line AX212, lots of options on that, similar to the boss. I just struggle with the complexity of those amps, with the storage and memory banking.

You make some good points about those other amps with the clean/overdrive pedal. Something to consider if I can get my hands on one to play.

I can definitely swing the SLO, just with a cab and my custom 24 WL that’s an $11k rig for an at home hobby player. But f*ck would it be nice.

Well if you’re looking at that sort of coin, Brad Whitford’s old touring PRS amp is up for sale.

D@mn auto correct.

Last edited:
I don't have a ton of amp experience but I use a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40. Some nice things about it are that it has 4 channels with built in Delay, Reverb thats very adjustable. A ton of programmability and memory if that's what you're into or you can set it and forget it. Works great with its FX loop too. It has a built in Redbox which is a godsend for home recording direct to your audio interface without any need for mics or other interference. One of my fave features is it can be power soaked all the way down to 1W which is perfect if your in a small room or if you have noise constraints. And it still sounds perfect on the lower wattage settings. Last but not least, it looks absolutely unreal sitting on top of a cab.

As others have said, I think you have already made the choice.
I, too, am an "at home hobby player" and have a lot tied up in equipment, guitars, etc, but if you can swing it, I say why not? You only go around once in this world. Do what makes you happy.

As others have said, I think you have already made the choice.
I, too, am an "at home hobby player" and have a lot tied up in equipment, guitars, etc, but if you can swing it, I say why not? You only go around once in this world. Do what makes you happy.
Definitely this!

Back