New Amp -OR- Midpriced modelers -OR- Is anyone here (still) playing a Tonex?

I have two old tube amps. A Twin and a Boogie Studio 22+. Problem is that when I say old I mean old. They are noisy and need a shedload of work done. re-tubing, and complete overhauls. They're noisy and like me have a lot of dry joints.

I'm working on an album project where we live in different parts of Europe. UK & France. Neither amp is suitable in current condition so I looked around and boy has amp tech changed since I last dipped a toe the water.

Long story short - I bought a Mustang GTX 100 and am completely blown away. It's so versatile I can scarcely believe it - and a massive bonus -
you don't need to be a iron-pumping gym bunny to move it about.

Brilliant for recording and meaty enough to take on any live gigs. Plus its interface options with desks and PAs are great.

I'll always keep my old favourites and may even get around to getting them fixed up some day. But, have to say, I'm completely sold on modelling.

ToneX, Pod Go and Helix were all nice but I went back to my UAFX pedals after long. I have too many modelers/profilers.

(Ruby, Dream and Lion - One for each board - all different boards, has been my go-to. Couldn't be happier with Universal Audio's stuff)

I’m currently using Atomic AmpliFire 3 and 12. A couple years ago, these were said to have the modeling quality to match the big boys, but they fell out of favor with the “I need free updates every month “ digital fanbois.

I’ve toyed with the idea of trying something from Axe or Kemper, but have always balked at spending that much on digital. The new Kemper player has caught my eye though..

Last edited:
I couldn't resist grabbing an HX Stomp XL during the current Line 6 sale - cheap enough that I just had to grab it. I've owned both the Pod Go and Helix LT in the past, and this is the perfect intersection - more flexible than the Pod Go, less complex than the LT. So far I love it. I've been playing it through a Mackie Thump Go, but I have a QSC CP8 incoming.

I’m currently using Atomic AmpliFire 3 and 12. A couple years ago, these were said to have the modeling quality to match the big boys, but they fell out of favor with the “I need free updates every month “ digital fanbois.

I’ve toyed with the idea of trying some form Axe or Kemper, but have always balked at spending that much on digital. The new Kemper player has caught my eye though..
The Player is an interesting device. Out of the box It has fewer effects available (two before and two after the amp) instead of four before/after on the bigger units. On top of that, the type of effects are cut down as well.
Now... I bet I could get away with that as I don't use a carp ton of effects. That said the newer effects are better. On top of that, and for the first time, Kemper is saying there are costed upgrades for the Player. Those might be additional effects etc.
No info on costs, so I have no opinion on it except to say I've gone from Version 5 to version 10.x for zero dollars on my Toaster.
That's all fine and dandy for many.
To me, the Player is the killer device for those that want the veritable cornucopia of excellent profiles, and want to incorporate it into a dearly loved pedal board. That or as a kick butt backup device for a regular Kemper user.
The quality is there, as is the tone, and they seem to be flying off the shelves...

fender GTX100 a never should have sold mine. It was pretty killer.

Helix - I didn’t get along with my pod go. I think it was me though.

Atomic stuff - no experience with it, but pretty much everything I’ve heard has been good.

EDIT - Forgot the UA Dream - darned good on my pedalboard. I only sold it to recoup funds after I bought the Kemper.

Kemper - I get along with it. Prices used are dropping. It sounds good with my monitors and the powered Kab, quiet or loud.

Tube amps - what’s left to say that hasn’t been said?

Last edited:
I mostly only record while songwriting, and NAM has become all I use recently due to sound, and it replaced all the modellers I had. NAM uses captures and just sounds better than the modellers I have. Sold my HX Stomp because I didn't really need a floor unit for live use.

I have two old tube amps. A Twin and a Boogie Studio 22+. Problem is that when I say old I mean old. They are noisy and need a shedload of work done. re-tubing, and complete overhauls. They're noisy and like me have a lot of dry joints.

I'm working on an album project where we live in different parts of Europe. UK & France. Neither amp is suitable in current condition so I looked around and boy has amp tech changed since I last dipped a toe the water.

Long story short - I bought a Mustang GTX 100 and am completely blown away. It's so versatile I can scarcely believe it - and a massive bonus -
you don't need to be a iron-pumping gym bunny to move it about.

Brilliant for recording and meaty enough to take on any live gigs. Plus its interface options with desks and PAs are great.

I'll always keep my old favourites and may even get around to getting them fixed up some day. But, have to say, I'm completely sold on modelling.

I’ve a Studio 22 as well, it’s been my workhorse amp for the past thirty years.

Well, after a bunch of home remodel type work, I find that I want less stuff. I've listed my Mesa Wide Body Open 1x12 and my Fryette PS2 on CL. I'm toying with listing the MkV25 combo and/or the Kemper Stage and the Kemper Power Kab. Probably not the Kemper stuff. I may list one of my acoustics also. I bought my Yamaha acoustic on purpose, and got a nice old Korean nylon string from my father in law. If you are in the SF Bay Area and interested, PM me. I'm also happy to get the "NEVER SELL" or other posts. They always lead to fun conversation.

Well, after a bunch of home remodel type work, I find that I want less stuff. I've listed my Mesa Wide Body Open 1x12 and my Fryette PS2 on CL. I'm toying with listing the MkV25 combo and/or the Kemper Stage and the Kemper Power Kab. Probably not the Kemper stuff. I may list one of my acoustics also. I bought my Yamaha acoustic on purpose, and got a nice old Korean nylon string from my father in law. If you are in the SF Bay Area and interested, PM me. I'm also happy to get the "NEVER SELL" or other posts. They always lead to fun conversation.
My $.02

Keep The Kemper Stuff And Dump The Rest. That Will Likely Give You The Most Bang For The Buck And Space And Keep Your Tonal Needs Satisfied.

:)

My $.02

Keep The Kemper Stuff And Dump The Rest. That Will Likely Give You The Most Bang For The Buck And Space And Keep Your Tonal Needs Satisfied.

:)

Yeah, kinda my thoughts as well. Doesn't take up that much space, works well LOUD or quiet, sounds pretty much any way I want it to within reason. I kinda hate to off the little Mesa, but I pretty much don't play it either. A long hiatus from playing while the house was a wreck. The interior work should be done in a week or two, then I can set up my little corner again. Oh, and I did get the espresso machine. A Lelit Mara X V2 along with a DF64 flat burr grinder, for those of you who may be coffee nerds/gear heads. I've had it a couple of days. Americanos are sublime, Oat Milk Lattes are good. Espresso is I think good, it's just always so intense to me. And yes, I could have gotten the Triple Crown 100 Watt with that money, but as above, less stuff. Says the guy who just bought an espresso machine and coffee grinder.

Yeah, kinda my thoughts as well. Doesn't take up that much space, works well LOUD or quiet, sounds pretty much any way I want it to within reason. I kinda hate to off the little Mesa, but I pretty much don't play it either. A long hiatus from playing while the house was a wreck. The interior work should be done in a week or two, then I can set up my little corner again. Oh, and I did get the espresso machine. A Lelit Mara X V2 along with a DF64 flat burr grinder, for those of you who may be coffee nerds/gear heads. I've had it a couple of days. Americanos are sublime, Oat Milk Lattes are good. Espresso is I think good, it's just always so intense to me. And yes, I could have gotten the Triple Crown 100 Watt with that money, but as above, less stuff. Says the guy who just bought an espresso machine and coffee grinder.
It Is Easier To Piss Out The Coffee Than It Is The TC-100 So I Get It. ;) I Can't Afford Coffee And The Various Machines That Go With It So I Just Buy Amps. :)

You can do coffee as cheaply or as expensively as you want. Kinda like amps, though I'd argue it's harder to hit the same level of cheap with amps. Same level of expensive is available either way, with the exception of Dumbles and such. Bad visual with pissing out a TC 100; even if it is a head and not a combo. Plus, I can wake up the house in the morning when grinding coffee and steaming oat milk, or I can wake up the neighborhood if I forget to turn down the master on the TC-100. Not an issue either way, I don't like much of the neighborhood anyway.

I got a Lelia Mara X V2 in black and a DF64 Gen 2 grinder. The Mara is well behaved for an e61 group HX machine due to some electronic trickery. I seem to be pulling pretty decent 17.5 g in, 40 +/- g out shots already. I just ran a couple lb. of Starbucks medium roast through the grinder to “season” it. The beans are oily and black. I had a major unplug and clean job after that. The grinder is back up and running. My actual drinking coffee beans are from a local roaster, and are real medium roast. My oat milk steaming chops leave a LOT to be desired. It’s pretty fun. Since I’m now blissfully retired, it doesn’t really matter that my first cup of coffee ( usually an Americano) is half an hour from flipping the on switch to first sip.

I got a Lelia Mara X V2 in black and a DF64 Gen 2 grinder. The Mara is well behaved for an e61 group HX machine due to some electronic trickery. I seem to be pulling pretty decent 17.5 g in, 40 +/- g out shots already. I just ran a couple lb. of Starbucks medium roast through the grinder to “season” it. The beans are oily and black. I had a major unplug and clean job after that. The grinder is back up and running. My actual drinking coffee beans are from a local roaster, and are real medium roast. My oat milk steaming chops leave a LOT to be desired. It’s pretty fun. Since I’m now blissfully retired, it doesn’t really matter that my first cup of coffee ( usually an Americano) is half an hour from flipping the on switch to first sip.
That's some high end schlitz right there! :cool:

I bet they would all taste better if you had one of those cups like the one in your avatar!
Oh man for sure!!! I gotta find one. For those who have never seen it in total, the poster says something to the effect of

“How about a nice hot cup of shut the f*** up?”

“Loose lips sink ships”

That’s been my avatar everywhere for probably 20 years.

Back