The siren song of digital....

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Bought myself a Line 6 HX Stomp XL today. In the past, I've owned the Helix LT (twice), Pod Go (twice), Boss GX100, several older Pod models....and most recently, the Boss IR-2.

The IR-2 reminded me that digital can sound and feel REALLY good. I didn't like the interface on the GX100, it wasn't user friendly to my way of thinking. The Helix LT sounded and felt incredible, but I kept finding myself feeling that I needed to cram EVERYTHING into each preset, because I could. The Pod Go sounded and felt almost as good as the Helix, but I felt too limited by the fixed blocks.

I think I'm going to dig the Stomp XL, it seems to hit the sweet spot between the Pod Go and the Helix LT.

stompxl.jpg

I did see your like - I have very little functioning mind these days :D. The inevitable Vela (named Stella) helps!
Stella Vela sounds like a certain type performer name, hawt!

I finally did the digital leap last year with HR MX5 and so glad I did. Digital modelling has gotten so much better the last few years, and gives so many tonal options that sound good.

Congratulations again Ahazz, rock it!!

I've been using a Pod Go for church for the past few years and for me it works quite well.

Just curious if the HX Stomp has any huge advantages over the Pod Go.

Are there 4 Snapshots within each preset like in the Pod Go? I love that feature. I use snapshot 1 for the bridge pickup, 2 is for the middle position, 3 is for the neck pickup and 4 is for the ambient swells.

I've been using a Pod Go for church for the past few years and for me it works quite well.

Just curious if the HX Stomp has any huge advantages over the Pod Go.

Are there 4 Snapshots within each preset like in the Pod Go? I love that feature. I use snapshot 1 for the bridge pickup, 2 is for the middle position, 3 is for the neck pickup and 4 is for the ambient swells.

The Stomp XL can do 4 snapshots per preset, like the Pod Go. The regular Stomp can only do 3 because it only has 3 footswitches.

Huge advantages? Not huge, but it does have some models that the Pod Go can't handle because of processing, and while it only has 8 blocks per preset, none of them are locked in like the wah/volume, EQ, etc in the Go.

I have nothing against digital. For some reason, I still plug into my pedals and amps when I play. I even plug pedals into my C.A.B.M+ to use them with my DAW. I have used SPDIF with both my Kemper and Fractal FM9. I like the sound of the pedals into the Two Notes unit the best. I like the sound and feel of the Kemper next then the FM9. I still prefer the pedals and amp over these units.

I actually have an Eleven Rack and my old Axe FX Ultra here too. I have used those in the past. I probably need to sell these two units. They are both just setting here and have not been plugged into power in quite a while.

Nothing’s ever going to replace a wailing tube amp… where you can get away with a wailing tube amp!

But in my real world, digital became the obvious choice. Now that we’re going back to IEMs, even more so. It’s not an either/or for tubes vs processors in my life, it’s just that digital fits better more and more often.

I’m glad to see it working for you Aahzzman. It’s the smart way to use what works and gets you playing; that’s what’s important! I look forward to hearing your experiences with the Stomp.

I bought both my Kemper and FM9 after the lockdowns stopped our gigging. I have not gigged since I bought them. I already had a Sennheiser IEM system. My plan was to try to go with a digital device and IEM in the next band situation I get into. I have not had the chance to really get into trying it in a band situation but am looking forward to it. If I can get tones I am happy with the sound and feel of I will really enjoy carrying much less gear to gigs.

bought both my Kemper and FM9 after the lockdowns stopped our gigging. I have not gigged since I bought them. I already had a Sennheiser IEM system. My plan was to try to go with a digital device and IEM in the next band situation I get into. I have not had the chance to really get into trying it in a band situation but am looking forward to it. If I can get tones I am happy with the sound and feel of I will really enjoy carrying much less gear to gigs.
I think you‘ll come to enjoy what it brings to the table. I just ordered my Sennheiser G4 IEM setup, and will be rigging the rack next week to gig with the following weekend. I’ve been using the IEMs (Westone UM3x, had them for a while now) in rehearsals and am digging the clarity with lower apparent volume. I’m going to set up a ‘room’ mic today and see if it adds some air and atmosphere to the sound. The FM9T I‘ve been using for a while now is a perfect fit for the no-floor-wedge setup, though I expect I’ll have a wedge wired up, just in case, until I get confident without the crutch. :oops:

The Stomp XL can do 4 snapshots per preset, like the Pod Go. The regular Stomp can only do 3 because it only has 3 footswitches.

Huge advantages? Not huge, but it does have some models that the Pod Go can't handle because of processing, and while it only has 8 blocks per preset, none of them are locked in like the wah/volume, EQ, etc in the Go.
Thanks Aahzz! Very helpfull!

I know some guys will always prefer amps but for my situation the Pod Go has been a lifesaver, especially for my aging back and knees! I used to have to carry my amp, 2x12 cab and pedal board up from the basement, through the house into my car, take it all into church and then back again. One day I told myself "there has got to be a better way cause I can't do this much longer!"

Ya do what ya gotta do!

Back