GASing for a Mesa Boogie Mark v

I've played through a MK V 90 watt for the past 10 years, and it can still sound great at fairly low volume. I also sometimes hook it up to my Torpedo Captor X attenuator/cab sim, and then I can crank it silently. For a lower budget, watch for an old Mesa .50 Caliber +. Killer clean, killer Mesa lead tone, 50 Watts of headroom. I bought one new in 1989 and it was my main (and usually only) amp until I bought the MK V in 2012, when I sold it to a friend. Nice ones can be had well under $1000. I prefer 1X12 combos to keep them more portable, but I run a Mesa 4X12 cabinet as well at home and when I want really BIG sound.

Yeah! I had a 90 watt MkV but moved it on. Wound up with a .50 cal + and a MkIV.

I had a MkV. Loved it, sometimes, hated it sometimes. Too many knobs and sliders and switches. Plus, one day I would think it sounded great only to play the next day, with the same settings, and sound like sh!t. I grabbed an Archon and never looked back. Sounds awesome, all the time. Not at all a one trick pony. I sold my MkV to forum member Dream Theater Rules. He dug it, until he listened to me and bought an Archon. He ended up selling the MkV too.

OP... if you are a newer player, forget the Mark V for now. Not that you are undeserving of playing through a good amp, it's that it's not an amp for your bedroom. I have one in my office and I don't put the volume above 1, ever. It's just not an at home/practice type of amp unless you have a basement or something and you don't share walls with a neighbor. Even then it's probably a bit too powerful

The practice/bedroom amp that really ticks the boxes for me is the Yamaha THR 2 series. Great sounding little box.

I had a MkV. Loved it, sometimes, hated it sometimes. Too many knobs and sliders and switches. Plus, one day I would think it sounded great only to play the next day, with the same settings, and sound like sh!t. I grabbed an Archon and never looked back. Sounds awesome, all the time. Not at all a one trick pony. I sold my MkV to forum member Dream Theater Rules. He dug it, until he listened to me and bought an Archon. He ended up selling the MkV too.
I ran across an older thread from 2020 where you and @DreamTheaterRules were active that details this story. If I were to go this route, I see that the archon was produced for a while, stopped and now the new ones say “designed in the USA, produced in Indonesia”. The older ones used are a bit more expensive than the new ones. Any comments? I’m not averse to Indonesia assembly - I play an SE after all.

OP... if you are a newer player, forget the Mark V for now. Not that you are undeserving of playing through a good amp, it's that it's not an amp for your bedroom. I have one in my office and I don't put the volume above 1, ever. It's just not an at home/practice type of amp unless you have a basement or something and you don't share walls with a neighbor. Even then it's probably a bit too powerful

The practice/bedroom amp that really ticks the boxes for me is the Yamaha THR 2 series. Great sounding little box.
Good comments. I’ll have a spare bedroom in a 4 bedroom stand alone house, but LAF wouldn’t fly. I currently have a Fender GTX 100. I put a little black amp box in the effects loop as the master is a bit jumpy at the bottom. Works well. The amp has 200 presets, 30 amps, like 30 some effects. It’s just too fiddely and just sounds kind of sterile / brittle. Or I sound sterile and brittle. I almost went with the THR series. $500 for 3” speakers kinda got in the way for me. I’d consider that option though. I find I play with a fender mustang micro on headphones as much as the GTX 100. Anyway thank you for the comments. This thread is being quite helpful to me.

I had a go on Mark V when I was looking for a new amp and I went with Fillmore. Mark V was a bit to much amp for what I need. Same time its swiss army knife type of an amp so if it fits your budget I say go for it. You will find plenty of tone examples in it

I may have found an Archon 25. Purple, my wife’s favorite color (WAF) and tolerable for m. I hear (read) good clean, good modern drive tone, good modern metal tone. Questions - 1) good blues tone?, thinking BB King / Albert King, less so SRV, but would be cool. 2) Classic rock stuff? AC/DC stuff? 3) a decent price for a used USA 25, mint, and maybe very good? 4) bedroom volume? Say tv to loud tv, conversation or below even better. Calling @bodia and @DreamTheaterRules, just based on knowing they have some experience with the Archon. I’m sure several others do as well, PRS forum after all. I’d ask @LSchefman, but he’d tell me to get the 100, quit being a p*ssy, and just pay big guys to schlep it for me….. (I kid. I value your input!)

Last edited:
I have no experience with the 25 and some don’t like it quite as well as the 50, but again, I won’t say that because I haven’t been able to compare them.

That said, IMO, yes, it will do good blues tones. The speaker is very important here, but IMO, turn it to the half power mode which I NEVER used to reduce volume, I use to to change the tone. Half power mode switches the power section from Pentode to Triode. This softens the response, reduces dynamics and reduces the bottom end. I think of half power mode as my “blues mode.” Dial your tones to taste

Classic rock mode is the opposite. If you want the punch and crunch of 70s and 80s rock, go back to full power mode, turn the gain WAY down, turn the presence way up. If you want 70s-80s Marshall type response, turn the bass way down and the treble up. For this mode, you’ll want depth down as well, although the combo will respond differently than the closed back cabs I play it with, but depth knob probably needs to stay down. Want more 80s hard rock tones, turn the gain, bass and depth knobs up some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, something in the boss katana line is probably your best bet. Those will cover all your bases between home practice and taking out to a jam session. Will cover all the ground from clean to blues to rock and beyond. They are also plentiful and easy to find and cheap. You could get a second hand one quite easily to try and then move it on if it didn't work out.
For an actual valve amp I'd be tempted by a low powered single channel amp and then some cheap pedals for some different overdrive/distortion sounds. Boss do plenty of different flavours that are available cheap secondhand

With a name like Boogie, you’d think it’s all I do.

Had the same Boogie amp for 33 years and still love it to death, BUT, I know it’s place and limitations. Notice I didn’t say it was my only amp. It’s good to have the right tool for the job.

Always buy an amp way above your skill set. It will pay dividends over and over. It will expose your weaknesses and spotlight your strengths, making you more confident and self conscious at the same time. Trust me, this is very good thing!

As for the Boogie amp selection, there’s a bunch of top notch wisdom above, so I won’t add much except to say, the 35 was not for me. It’s power stage is completely different from its big brother and I did not readily find a tone for me. The 25 is an awesome amp and is a beast for its size. Randall doesn’t scale amps for volume, but application, so know that I can destroy the front row on 25w mode. Is the 25 a bedroom amp? Listen to those above that made that attempt. I sat in front of my MkIII - inches away from the combo - when we had a new baby in an apartment, and never got yelled at by Mrs B. It’s possible, you just have to want it and be willing to discover the amp’s capabilities.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have Boogie, Fender, and PRS CAD amps, but I also have a Kemper. The Kemper changed my musical life forever and brings a level of flexibility beyond any of my other amps. That’s a big investment, but it’s just that, an investment in your musical future. While you’re doing your research, expand into the world of Kemper for perspective.

I’ll leave you with some horrible examples. The first is a ridiculous clip using an SE245 thru my then stage rig starring my MkIII. The second is a scratch pad video demoing my Vela thru the Super Dallas, and the last is a terrible video from my last performance using the Kemper. Very different results, and I wouldn’t live without any one of them.

I may have found an Archon 25. Purple, my wife’s favorite color (WAF) and tolerable for m. I hear (read) good clean, good modern drive tone, good modern metal tone. Questions - 1) good blues tone?, thinking BB King / Albert King, less so SRV, but would be cool. 2) Classic rock stuff? AC/DC stuff? 3) a decent price for a used USA 25, mint, and maybe very good? 4) bedroom volume? Say tv to loud tv, conversation or below even better. Calling @bodia and @DreamTheaterRules, just based on knowing they have some experience with the Archon. I’m sure several others do as well, PRS forum after all. I’d ask @LSchefman, but he’d tell me to get the 100, quit being a p*ssy, and just pay big guys to schlep it for me….. (I kid. I value your input!)
I always post this video that Aristotle did some years ago.

Geez, you guys move around amps between members like Formula 1 drivers go through pit girls.

I know. It's a problem, but there's no cure!
More cowbell…. Sorry, I’ll show myself out now….

another random thought - Fryette PS-2 or similar to either attenuate whatever tube amp I finally end up with, and/or amplify a tube or other preamp or effects unit, HX Stomp or similar. Thoughts?

edits - grammar and spelling.

Last edited:
More cowbell…. Sorry, I’ll show myself out now….

another random thought - Fryette PS-2 or similar to either attenuate whatever tube amp I finally end up with, and/or amplify a type or other preamp or effects unit, HX Stomp or similar. Thoughts?
I have a Rivera Rockcrusher that does a good job. If were buying something today, I'd definitely go with an OxBox. Amazing piece of gear.

Used fryette PS-2 = $600-700 if you can find one
Used Rock crusher = $500-600 last time I looked
Used Ox Box = $1200-1300 if you can find one
Used Waze Tube amp expander $900-1200 last time I looked

Is the OxBox really the best of the bunch in that company? I know lots of folks use them, I just don’t have a good understanding of why it’s better. I’ll go do my homework…

Used fryette PS-2 = $600-700 if you can find one
Used Rock crusher = $500-600 last time I looked
Used Ox Box = $1200-1300 if you can find one
Used Waze Tube amp expander $900-1200 last time I looked

Is the OxBox really the best of the bunch in that company? I know lots of folks use them, I just don’t have a good understanding of why it’s better. I’ll go do my homework…

for your studies

https://www.uaudio.com/hardware/ox.html

For a lower budget, watch for an old Mesa .50 Caliber +. Killer clean, killer Mesa lead tone, 50 Watts of headroom.

The 50 Caliber+ is an often overlooked Boogie. It can be creamy, crunchy, distorted (not qualified to say it chuggs, and it's more than I ever want), and very high headroom cleans. Like all Boogies, it can sing and breath.

Far simpler than the Marks, but able to create a variety of tones. Like the Marks the controls are interactive and takes some getting used to. Hard to dial in both channels at the same time and switch for rhythm and lead. The GEQ is your friend.
The master volume has somewhat of a hair trigger that too easily jumps to LOUD.

Have discovered new uses of it as the output stage of a modeler going into the FX return (which works around some of the items listed above).

All - thanks for videos, links and words of wisdom. I’m not in a hurry, but I do have a case of the “Need Something New Blues.” I did look further into the Ox Box - I kind of get it now. It does a few things I can use right away, and seems like a long term companion. Attenuation and headphones for now.

Back